10-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #91
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Agreed, now we're on the same page.

And you bring up a good point. Depending on how you drive there is an advantage to higher stagger like you describe. Most people can control understeer a lot easier than oversteer. All you have to do is lift and/or apply a little brake to transfer more weight forward. It can even be faster on the track because it can give you more confidence to get on the throttle harder and stay on the throttle. If you turn in just a bit early and get on the gas sooner you can maximize a setup with more stagger on track without feeling the understeer.

I like oversteer, but it can be nerve wracking and typically not the fastest around the track.
In my opinion M2 with the factory stagger has the perfect balance for how I drive. I like braking very late and diving into the corners late and hard, and manage slip with throttle and steering. I was doing hot laps at Nurburgring over the summer and lost grip mid corner in Hatzenbach series of corners. But thanks to the balance both front and rear let go simultaneously, and the car slid out towards the outside of the track. I did nothing, kept all my inputs constant. Fraction of the second later I felt the grip come back and I added a bit more steering to get back on the racing line. I thought this was very telling about a balanced nature of the car.

I tracked a heavily modified 2014 Mustang GT before this, and that car was very tail happy. It helped me sharpen my senses to recognize and control oversteer to a point of near pre-cognition. I had full suspension so there was no understeer (unless I did something stupid), and with R comp tires it became very snappy. Huge grip, and then instantly no grip. The M2 is much more approachable and transitions slower. I find myself having to slow down my responses because the car has such a balanced and progressive nature.

But we all drive different and enjoy different characteristics of the car. Glad you found your perfect setup Keep tracking it, it's quite rewarding. And driver mod is the best mod money can buy!
You have explained very well exactly how I perceive my M2C's handling characteristics. The day that I need new tires is going to be a tough decision. I don't want to upset the cars balance at the limit. I could definitely use more traction but I don't want to mess up the balance. In the canyons I drive at the edge of breakaway which is so predictable with my car. MPS4S, MPS4S M4 size, stock, M4 size stock...decisions. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0