09-24-2019, 01:45 PM   #605
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperj View Post
Unfortunately, none of the videos are great. I just googled BMW S55 ECU removal. Also It may help to look at M3 & M4 forums. Once the charge cooler is tilted back, a lot of the unplugging and getting cables out of the way just doesn’t show up on video. Get a good light, make sure the engine has cooled down, and take your time.

Also, when unhooking different electrical connections modern autos are helpful as usually, you just can’t plug them up wrong. They won’t fit. Each connection is married to one connector. Once I got started it went well. Again, the hardest part for me was unplugging the DME fasteners. It’s not hard, do NOT force anything. Once you see how it works it’s very easy. Having some help even if it’s to hold the light is beneficial.

One of the videos I viewed auctully unhooked and removed the charge cooler. I didn’t do this. So no coolant leaked out. Not even a spoonful. One video makes a big deal out of not kinking the hoses to the charge cooler. You can limit the “Kink” but it’s bound to fold over a bit. After I got the intake off I folded the charge cooler back close to it’s original position. No sense in it remaining out of its normal place.
So it's a couple of hours of work you say to pull out? And similar to put back, or quicker?

On a level of mechanical difficulty out of 10, how much is it? Notwithstanding crappy instructions out there...

Last edited by Lotus99; 09-24-2019 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 0