View Single Post
      09-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #64
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post

Because Porsche is top 5 in reliability for like 10+ years now.
I don't believe these surveys are necessarily accurate, and I also know from firsthand experience that Porsche has plenty of issues of their own and they will fix them for you (out of warranty goodwill) if you agree to be quiet about it. Porsche is very good at keeping engine failures and things of that nature out of the media now. The 986/996 engine fiasco was pretty well known, but that was a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I believe the issue is caused by changing oil filter housings and not having the oil system primed before starting causing there to be a period of time where the engine is "running dry" of oil. This causes the crank to become seized to the bearings and it can even snap according to posts on a different forum.
There is no way this is what is happening. There will be a film left, plus the interruption in flow / pressure will be very short. Rod bearing failure is nothing new for BMW but it takes a long time to get to the point where you spin the bearing, seize, and throw a rod. If this were true, we would see tons of regular BMW engines blowing up after every oil change, which just doesn't happen. I fully believe there is a potential rod bearing issue with some of these engines, but not filling the filter housing is not why.
Appreciate 0