Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
All you would do is remove the soft outer AR coating by polishing it. We do it all the time in the watch world. Keep in mind you would only do this if the scratches were deep enough. Micro scratches are a trade off with having a outer AR coating so you have to consider what is the most important. I have not had any issues with lightly dusting the gauge cluster in the new X5.
It's not that I don't believe you but it's something I would rather see someone else tackle on their own car prior to trying out myself as the film on the LCI display is unlike any other LCD I have seen and it's not the same as the new digital clusters BMW is using on the 3 Series, X5, etc. that is similar to LCD's in other cars.
The anti-reflective coating looks like a matte version of what is used in optical lenses. Removing it evenly by polishing it would be nearly impossible. I totally agree with you that this issue should be a sticky for every new M2 LCI+ owners. Do not physically touch the gauge cluster with anything. Just use a blower to blow off dust. Do not let the dealership service guys to leave the car keys in front of the gauge (happened to me on old my 428i). Do not take the car to a carwash where employees could swipe the gauge cluster with a dirty rag.
Appreciate 2
natmad674.50
heavyD^23688.50