View Single Post
      05-22-2019, 03:30 PM   #118
acl26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

The tune didn't have any serious knocking issues when not at track.

In hindsight saying to be more prepare is always easy.

I did have super knocking as per my original post (forgot to put it in this one). I started this thread as more of getting suggestion/details of how others might have handled a similar case of a blown bmw engine.

To my understanding super knocking is different from regular knocking and it seems to be more random and related to the engine oils.

Fuel dilation seems to be more of a factor to super knocking in inducing piston hot spots.

What BMW uses for its engine oils could contribute to this. Whether it be snake oil or not it seems engine oil companies are trying for new standards to reduce this, IE Amsoil.

Of course, having lower IATs and better octane I'm sure helps in lowering the chances of pre-ignition but super knocking seems to be more piston hot spot induced.

Here's a long read if anyone is interested.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...d_pre-ignition

Maybe it was already too late by the time I saw the codes for super knocking, who knows.

My honest opinion to this is that I really hope that the car is not this delicate and that I was unlucky with super knocking. We paid premium for performance after all.

And the possibility of a little bad gas and a slight tune makes it blow a piston?

I would feel it would be more unethical for BMW to roll out a car light that.
Appreciate 0