View Single Post
      05-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #40
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

DIY Update 7: Install DV+ back on the car

Now that the DV+ was on the solenoid, it was time to install back on the car.

Note, as mentioned in my previous DIY update, the instructions of the GFB DV+ noted how important it is NOT to drop the red/gold cylinder out of the solenoid, as any even invisible damage can make it useless.

The cylinder sits loose in the DV+ housing, so if you hold it upside down (don't do this!) it will simply fall out.

My concern was, of course, holding the solenoid/DV+ assembly to the turbo without any bolts and having it fall while I was attempting to get bolts in.

What I ended up doing is getting it set in the turbo and holding it with one hand (couple of fingers) while I used my other hand to pass a bolt and allen wrench to the free fingers of my first hand. This way, I always kept pressure on the solenoid no matter what. I'm sure there are better/more advanced techniques out there, but this worked for me and I didn't drop the thing, lol.

Getting the two lower (easy) bolts in was pretty easy, and was enough to ensure that the solenoid cannot fall out.

Actually it was a little too easy, as I overtightened one of the bolts and cracked the edge of one of the bolt holes on the solenoid.

I used the ball headed allen wrench to tighten the bolts "hand tight" and then my short wrench that worked for removal to tighten rest of the way.

The top bolt was a challenge to get in, and with a tip from one of the videos I had watched, I taped it to my ball headed allen wrench with electrical tape, just enough to keep it from falling, but also make the tape easy to remove (see photo). This proved useful as it essentially "elongated" the bolt, making it "easy" (read: actually possible) to get in.

But that was only after I dropped it and had no idea where it went Looked all over and was scared it went in the turbo or something... so lesson learned -- tape the damn openings to the engine when working on the car. I knew about this but just didn't do it, and having to worry if I got a bolt in my turbo (probably unreasonable, it's a large bolt and the turbo fins are pretty close together) made me realize it would have been useful to have taped the openings.

Finally found the bolt after stepping back, looking from top of engine with a flash light .. see photo with bolt circled. Doh! That was definitely not fun.

Anyway, I got the DV+ in, woot!

As a side note, I don't see how it would be possible to do this install without removing the turbo inlet pipe. That extra space to get my hand in there with a wrench to the top bolt, which was still a complete PITA, was courtesy of the inlet pipe being out when I did this.
Attached Images

Last edited by ddk632; 05-01-2019 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0