ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Info Update 1: QuickJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiK View Post
Which quick jack do you have? 3500, 5000, 7000?
How is the progress and project difficulty? I have turbo pipes and FMIC, and thinking of installing them by myself.
I got the BL-5000SLX from Costco

I wouldn't risk the 3500, since the OG M2 weighs in so close to that limit. Plus, I've read that the 3500 is shorter and can cause issues lining up the blocks with the mounting points on many cars. For peace of mind the 5000 is 100% worth it. Also, a floor creeper is a must for making the most of the quickjack.

Progress for me is slow, mostly because it's my first time doing anything in the engine bay of a car. Done work on bikes, but there are little gotchas like the various clips and stuff that I take more time with than someone experienced with BMW car work.

Also I'm doing the work around my job during the week and handling kids safety gear, getting them sorted to scooter, skateboard, bike etc, while I'm in the garage, so my time gets broken up a lot.

I took one weekend to fully set up and test the quickjack, including couple store runs to get oil, a siphon because I overfilled it, etc Then one half of a weekend day to get car set up properly and figure out position of car on lift in garage, make sure the hood doesn't hit anything when open on lift, etc... and read some stuff and watch DIYs, removed belly pan, removed fmic and charge pipe, and got stuck removing boost pipe.

Difficulty so far, and I think for the whole job, lies mostly in accessing hard to reach clips or bolts in tight areas.

For me the cost savings of installing all this stuff, pretty much pays for the QuickJack. And it's a great feeling of accomplishment to know I am doing the mods myself, feel like I will enjoy them that much more. So, I say go for it.

I think without distractions and having all the tools, you can do this whole job in one day Assuming QuickJack is set up. Definitely in a weekend.

Last edited by ddk632; 05-01-2019 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Update title
Appreciate 1
PiK61.00