11-29-2018, 03:36 PM   #18
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I hate (hate, hate, hate!) FWD cars, but I really enjoy driving the GTI. I came this close || to buying one, twice. The first time I backed-out because the seat was causing me a backache. The second time I mentioned it to the wife and she said "absolutely not". She had ridden in the back, and thought it was horrible. She can't (won't) drive a stick, so the driving experience is lost on her.

The M2 has a larger more powerful engine with the drive wheels in the correct location, and even at twice the price, I prefer it. But I still think that the GTI is a heck of a nice car, and practical to boot. Glad to read that others like it.

They'll probably continue to make it for many more years, and hopefully still with a stick, so one of these days when the M2 has to leave, maybe I'll get my GTI then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerr View Post
I was sceptical about going back to FWD but the GTI has a pretty trick LSD. So far I am impressed. I have a Miata and the M2 when I get tired of the driveline configuration.
Personally, I never owned a FWD and never cared to. However my wife has a GTI with an auto trans and it's a fun car to drive.

Recently, my respect for FWD has taken even a bigger leap, as my son recently purchased a Honda Civic Type R. He and I did a 5 day, 950 mile road trip after picking it up from the dealer. Both sharing the driving duties to the pick up location for shipping to Hawaii. The hype on this car is not exagerated. Other than straight line accerlation, the Type R will hang with the M2 on almost any other type of road and feel good doing it.
Appreciate 0