View Single Post
      10-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #300
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Eww still the base 3.8 with X51? This is the first time i've heard of this.
The 991.1 GT3 was an evolution of the old 3.8L. It got better internals, an improved intake, lubrication system etc. to handle the extra RPM.The GT4 does not need the fancy internals and hence will not have them.

I exchanged a few messages with a local race team owner who drives the old GT4 Clubsport and has seen the new GT4 clubsport. He was very happy with what Porsche have done with it. The new car should continue to produce more power right till the redline where the older car stopped a few hundred RPM short of the redline. The improved intake should be similar to the new GT3 as well.

The difference in the engine internals between the GT3 and GT4 is purely due to necessity. The GT4 does not need the fancy internals because it does not need to rev as much. It's a well known fact that there are not many cars that can take as much abuse on the track as the ones from Weissach.

I fully expect the new car to knock 10 seconds off the time set by the old GT4 (7:40) on the Nurburgring which brings it very close to the M4 GTS's time. Now add the fact that it does this with a manual transmission and no turbos. There's something very pure and special about it.
Appreciate 0