View Single Post
      09-29-2018, 05:34 AM   #64
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
There's a whole bunch of widget/app like thinks you can customize next to the tachometer. I saw a video where they changed it from torque/power ratings, to a g force meter, music, eco settings, etc. even if its less customizable than the MBUX or MMI system, its still has more to offer than BMW's current digital gauges, which can't even display maps in the dash.
I've seen that video now and there appears to be 2 of 12 inches of display dedicated to user definable fields. That's just nuts. I'm a 60 year old guy. Been in the tech business all my life. I love tech, but not tech for tech's sake.

For those of you who've said that you "love the look", look past the pretty picture. Is this usable tech? Can anyone really tell me that that "map" that takes up over half of the real estate is helpful in any way? Can it replace the beautiful iDrive nav graphics in the central display? It can't for me. So why's it there? How do I benefit? BMW designed those odd mirrored gauges to open up this huge central display area. And then does zero with it. Prime real estate. Right in front of the driver.

Again, for those of you that like this, please take a look at Audi's and Merc's implementation. There may be aspects that you don't like (I know some don't like Audi's large central map), but that's just the point of those displays . . . there are several options to get the information you want in the format that you want it. That's what a good user interface is all about. I'm just amazed that the company that brings us iDrive can fail in such a big way (and for a second time) with a digital dash display.

Rant over.

Last edited by hinckley; 09-29-2018 at 05:42 AM..
Appreciate 3
M5ZRH122.00
530iDriver1707.50