View Single Post
      05-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #100
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermator View Post
Very helpful description. Thanks!

For my intended use mostly on Norwegian roads, I believe the stock brakes would be more than sufficient. I don’t expect any 'voooaaam' noise in our speed limits… For track use, I may have to change to track pads anyways. The stock brakes also enables me to use 18” wheels for the winter.
Braking on the Autobahn from 270 km/h 150 km/h is evidently more straining for the brakes than braking from 170 km/h to 50 km/h. A matter of physics: energy. On the Autobahn you don't run out of tarmac for repeatedly hitting V-max limits.

A race track, on the other hand, is bloody straining for the brakes because you brake much more frequently and more intense in a short period of time. No time to cool down. Hence, the importance of cool down laps.

Mountains got their unique feature when compared to the Autobahn and race tracks: lower speed (2nd/3rd gear dancing) but high gradient levels (and different pressure levels for tires because of height changes) + (possible) oncoming traffic + road surfaces of all sorts (good to bad) + temperature & humidity variation: the brakes are strained when giving it the spurs up/down a mountain from hairpin to hairpin. Especially during 'spirited' downhill stints, for obvious reasons: required brake power to reduce the Newtons deployed to properly negotiate the hairpin. Especially in the mountains - apart from the highest level of self-restraint - high quality brakes & tires are of prime importance for your safety and other's safety. Way up there, you definitely don't want to run out of talent & tarmac (totaling the car and yourself) or run into another road user.