10-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #1254
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Maybe, but backups dont always work as users here have reported.. Plus which, shaddow codes in the ecu are created which, if any dealer is looking for a reason to deny warranty coverage, can find.

Youre very lucky you have a dealer you can work with. However, I dont think theyd even attempt do deny warranty coverage for brake problems... But what if something electronically is afoul? I dont think its a huge stretch for the dealer to try and draw a connection between any electronic problem and any hacked software which was used to interface with the ECU in a non factory change. Listen, Im not trying to make the dealers' case for them, and I wish I had a dealer who was willing to go out on a limb for this. But there are real cases reported here where dealer flashes failed because of a coding changes which customers applied, etc. Each person has to make the determination for themselves whether the reward is worth the risk. The approach Im taking is that the dealer, not unlike most Insurance providers, will look for any opportunity to deny coverage, and its up to the owner to not give it to them.. Is this right? Absolutely not. But I think its the reality most of us have to live in, unless we dont mind spending lots of bucks and time in court.

As an aside, I used to have an E36 M3 which I bought new from a bmw dealer who was also a Dinan dealer.. I had the car outfitted with Dinan vortech supercharger, Dinan Koni suspension, and Dinan exhaust among a lot of other stuff.... In time, to get more power, I changed the pulley size on the blower to develop a couple more psi and HP... Not long after, the Dinan muffler blew a weld. While still under warranty, I went to Dinan for redress, and was informed that they had been reading the forums and know for a fact that I upped the boost... Its that small boost increase which they lorded over my head as to why I wont find any help from them in replacing the exhaust.. I guess Ive been around long enough to expect the worst rather than the best of many dealers in the field.
They may have had a point with your boost increase on the E36.

The rest is BS. They just can't say you changed a setting and voided your warranty. The burden of proof is squarely on them thanks to a 1975 law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

That being said, I get it about limiting the drama. No point fighting with the dealer. Suck it up or find a different one is the path of least resistance.

Now if that ASD is still bugging the crap out of you (like it did me), get yourself a bypass cable. Under $60 and installs in about 15 minutes. No coding and easy to undo if you wish. Some earlier cars with the coded ASD disable had some owners reporting a little of amp hiss in the stereo after doing so. the cable totally removes the ASD amp from the loop.

https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/

Good luck (btw, most love the car minus the ASD).
Appreciate 0