View Single Post
      06-21-2017, 07:58 AM   #382
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I agree - plus you and I spell it different Here is the thread, not sure if it will help.
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1370386

Ultimately if you are a pure apple apps kind of person, maybe, just maybe. But your phone will be black- no going to it to turn on Waze or some other app - I think you can eventually get it to wake up, but for me, it was very hard to get it to turn on - and remember, unplugging it does not help - cause it is using the wifi in your car. SO YOU CAN'T GET TO YOUR PHONE. Ugh... I want to like it, I really do - but UGH UGH UGH.
I'm not sure if you're doing it wrong or what, but I can pick up my phone and use it while it's running car play and while it's running an app. Tested with iPhone 7 and iPhone 7+ on iOS 10.3.

For me, I use it for Podcasts and music which I could do through bluetooth but the sound quality is much much worse and the volume control is a lot worse too. They have Amazon music now too which is where I have a lot of my music stored/am a prime member for the additional benefits. I don't use the nav or anything else, preferring either Waze or the on board nav because Apple maps are worse than Mapquest.

It does the job. Plus car play is constantly being updated so it can only get better in the future and would add to resale than a car without it. $300 is reasonable. It's like 0.5% of the car cost.

In short, it's not life changing. A 2016 owner shouldn't retrofit all the components (3k+) just to get it. But it's nice from a convenience perspective for a few things.

Last edited by blackholescion; 06-21-2017 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0