View Single Post
      04-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

A conservative review of the JB+

Here's a slightly different review of the JB+. I do not plan on doing any significant mods (Maybe a DP down the road). I actually felt the stock power on the M2 to be enough, but like many of you, wanted more, just a little more. Ordered the JB+ last week (Thanks for the help Mike) and arrived a few days later. Installation was simple as many have stated, the toughest part was probably figuring out the clip to the connector. After that, it was easy.

Before I installed the unit, I opened it up to check the setting, to my surprise, it was set to max. So I adjust it back to 12 o'clock (around 3 psi) as I do not want an aggressive tune. Took it out for a drive, very noticeable power and torque gain. Lots of wheel spin everywhere, like many have said, first 3 gears, spin spin spin. And I wasn't even going WOT. There were some jerks here and there, and the transmission was doing some shifts on it's own. I figured it was the ECU trying to learn, so I just left it at that. Next few days the shifts were a lot smoother but the power was still there. And that dip in the 5k rpm range shown in the dyno graphs from other reviewers is true. There's also a little bit more turbo lag, not a lot, but it's there.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I do not enjoy wheel spin, especially when it's in the mid rpm range. I don't want to modulate the throttle when I'm going straight. And I definitely don't want that to happen when I'm on the track. Also want a smoother delivery. So I did the unthinkable... I dialed it down to 11 o'clock.

I'm liking it a lot more. Power is smoother, no more unwanted wheel spins. The car felt more balanced. I would not be surprised if I go back to stock one day, as I feel the stock tune to be very well balanced and "safe" on the track.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the product, considering the price/hp it's the bargain of the century. Will be heading to the track in a few weeks, will give some more feedback after. Heat soak would be my concern without upgrading the intercooler, but it's still relative cold up here, so it should be fine with the current setting.

P.S. For you Canadians, shipping/tax/custom was painless as they ship from Mississauga. Wish more US companies would do that.
Appreciate 3
Dav3949.50
M2taz81.50