View Single Post
      10-31-2016, 04:08 PM   #106
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
Probably price increase of at least $300. Economies of scale will not make it more expensive.
I'm curious how you calculated this? Now me personally, I would not know how to calculate it, but I could at least think through some of the things they would have to do...
a) either build an entirely new engine at a plant that would use it in one version of the 2-series (with a very small production#)
or
b) ship the engine from the other factory

So there is some cost there (A being much much more expensive - I think). But then we have the actual internals, which are going to cost more as well since I'm pretty sure that engine is more expensive (but like I said, I don't know what BMW knows).

Then we have the modifications that might need to be made to the line to support another engine (I suspect that a lot of things change in terms of swapping in something like that, stuff we don't know about - but I do know that a tour of the SC factory here showed me that they have this stuff figured out and it takes a while to do so.).

Long story short, I think $300 is way low - but I don't know what I don't know, so I'm curious where you came up with the number?
Appreciate 0