Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
This is slick, hadn't seen it before. Any idea if it will work with the MY16 cars?
My understanding is that when a car is built, the firmware is configured with crap like build date and feature license codes FSC that enable services like Nav map updates and connected drive. The i-level updates, which contain both old and new iDrive software, also contain logic that checks the build date and verifies these codes. In order for iDrive 5.0 software to work properly on MY16 hardware (NBT EVO):
1) the firmware would have to be updated with a modified build date or the i-level would need special logic to allow older build dates to enable it.
2) you'd have to obtain new FSCs from BMW which are expensive. As of 5.0 there is a new FSC scheme so old codes don't work.

It is doubtful that BMW would perform this software retrofit on any of their models, due to the PITA involved. It would set a new precedent for feature upgrades. It also would make buying a new car somewhat less compelling.

Someone or some company may provide a way to do it, however. If so, it'll prob be available before August.
Ah ok, so the mirrorlink is a 5.0 app and not available earlier then?

That's a shame
Appreciate 0