View Single Post
      02-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #25
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I sold my ED 1M and was planning on getting M2 but decided against it and bought another 1M. I was number 1 on the list in San Diego dealer but too many little things added up on the M2, that made the 1M more special to me.
That is not to say that the M2 isn't awesome or better than the 1M for most people, it is all those things, just not as special to me compared to the 1M.

Here are things that added up for me to bail on the M2:
1. Mandatory iDrive and screen. Not a fan of it in sports/sporty cars
2. Fake/Enhanced Sound. Not a fan of it.
3. Mandatory in the US heavier version with power seats, folding mirrors, etc. Not a fan of bloat. If I could get a lightweight version maybe I would consider it.
4. Mandatory Black wheels. Not a fan of black fad wheels.
5. Comfort mode buttons in a sports car....c'mon do I need to explain that?
6. I love blue cars but LB Blue is my least favorite, except for maybe YMB.
7. Heavier than the 1M and even heavier than a stripper 1M like mine.
8. Anyone can drive one now with automatic, launch control, smoky burnout feature, bread toasting, martini shaker...etc. etc.
9. No Temp gauge

Here is what made the 1M seem more special so that I bailed on M2.
1. No Nav, no I-drive option makes for a lighter, more focused cockpit that looks stunning compared to the Nintendo cockpits of today.
2. 100% real sound. Not enhanced. Yes maybe some hear a drone and my house trembles at 5 AM when I fire it up and the neighbors probably notice it, but I love it.
3. No COMFORT mode....or any other nonsense button. It's a sports coupe and it only has one fixed butt-clenching I will kill you if you disrespect the gas pedal mode.
4. The bulges. While some think it looks dated, I think the rounded bulges look timeless and beautiful compared to the cool, faddish angular things on the M2.
5. Lighter than M2. I hope I don't have to explain that.
6. Manual only. The 1M is a throw back and the manual only nature made it even more so. It is the last BMW made that was only offered in a manual transmission.
7. The story behind it. The 1M was a labor of love by some at M to bring BMW back from where they had gone astray. It was done out of love for driving excitement. There is no such story for the M2, it is simply a business decision and continuation of all recent M cars.
8. Rarity. You rarely see one on the road.
9. Raw. The 1M is one of the rawest BMWs in years, even compared to the M2. Those things that made it inferior technically to the M2, like it wants to go sideways all the time, bad aerodynamics, stiff ride, loud exhaust even with some drone, etc. All of those things add up to a wind noise at speed that makes it seem that it's going faster than it is and you can't really dose off in it. They add up to make it a very involving, fun car. Yes, not as fast or modern looking but different enough from most other modern BMWs to be special.

So to be clear, the M2 is fantastic and If the 1M stripper were not an option, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Congratulations to all M2 owners you have the best BMW made today!

Last edited by nachob; 02-20-2016 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 1