Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
booney, I've always enjoyed your posts (with the infrequent exception of those where you use God's name in vain), both in the E82 forum as well as here on the 2-Series forum. You're a 1 M guy in spirit if not in flesh.

The problems I see with the DCT in the M2 are twofold..weight and cost. Using the F8# as a barometer I believe they add 55 pounds at a cost of $2900, respectively, to the equation.

Those are two areas where I am personally extremely sensitive to (well, you can add EPS as an anathema to my senses, but that's beside the point and subjective) regarding this vehicle.

But more than that if we lose young, next generation enthusiasts like you to the infatuation that new alluring technological wizardry presents, then it won't be long before the manual goes the way of the unicorn as an ///M offering.

And when an "old" tradition and icon like that is lost, it's likely lost forever.

As to the OP's pleasant conundrum, it's a win-win situation no matter which way he goes.

As someone who purchased his 1 M used (3rd hand even), and paid a premium to do so I have absolutely no regrets and would do it all over again. The SAG factor is simply off the charts, and the 1 M manual gearbox kit is unequivocally the best of any vehicle (let alone BMW) I've experienced in my 30+ years of driving. There's a reason why it was selected to be slotted in as the gearbox for the F8# M's.

But if you can't reconcile the obvious trade-offs that old vs. new introduce, then the M2 is a worthy choice, particularly if you are someone like me that loves to use the Euro Delivery and Performance Center Delivery options (now even available to the kids on the west coast).
I am definitely a big fan of the 1M. please don't ever think otherwise - I think it is just a fair conversation to have about things that are completely objective instead of subjective - that's all.

If I make my way into an M2 or M3 (very very tempted by the F80), then I am going to seriously consider the DCT because my driving environment has changed quite a bit since I left Indiana. Down here in Dallas, there is so much more traffic that the MT in my 235 can get old in a hurry, even with it being pretty light by a sports car standard. This is one place where the wizardry (love that term by the way) is a nice upgrade because it can be manic or docile depending on your mood.

You make good points on the cost and weight...but I think there will be enough demand for the DCT that it won't matter much on the cost side. And the weight, well the 2er is decently heavy no matter what - I can't see BMW getting down to the magic 3300 pound level without using some really exotic stuff, which will just raise the cost in another direction...

The other points you make are very valid, but the "new" situation is here to stay I'm afraid - in terms of the electric steering, active sound, etc, etc...hopefully the package is nice and polished by the time we get to all see it.