View Single Post
      02-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #112
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Again, it depends on a whole host of factors - it's not as simple as you seem to make it. Remember, BMW put the 1M together very quickly, which likely led to it being MT only - not some vague connection to subjective criteria on what constitutes an "enthusiast" car.

Secondly, I have been a MT driver my entire life. I have only had one auto car the entire time I've been driving, which was a DCT...and I have to admit that the DCT in the M4 I tested the other day was far far far faster in every way than I could ever shift. Or you. Or Mario Andretti. So......it's not milliseconds as you purport above. There is a substantial difference in performance. As a staunch supporter of MT, I can admit that without getting my panties in a bunch. You should too.

We know you love your 1M, as you should. But, it's not the greatest car in the history of the world. It's a parts bin special my man. The new M2 won't be that. It's actually been engineered to be an M car, and I think difference is going to show. Nothing against the 1M - it's a great car - but it's not going to be in the same performance league as the M2. And it shouldn't be.

Also, the new DCT was supremely satisfying in the M4. I hope they offer it in the M2. What a transmission...what a car...that thing was on rails at 85 mph in turns that my 235 can't take at 70. It's on a completely different level. I think M2 will be as well.
booney, I've always enjoyed your posts (with the infrequent exception of those where you use God's name in vain), both in the E82 forum as well as here on the 2-Series forum. You're a 1 M guy in spirit if not in flesh.

The problems I see with the DCT in the M2 are twofold..weight and cost. Using the F8# as a barometer I believe they add 55 pounds at a cost of $2900, respectively, to the equation.

Those are two areas where I am personally extremely sensitive to (well, you can add EPS as an anathema to my senses, but that's beside the point and subjective) regarding this vehicle.

But more than that if we lose young, next generation enthusiasts like you to the infatuation that new alluring technological wizardry presents, then it won't be long before the manual goes the way of the unicorn as an ///M offering.

And when an "old" tradition and icon like that is lost, it's likely lost forever.

As to the OP's pleasant conundrum, it's a win-win situation no matter which way he goes.

As someone who purchased his 1 M used (3rd hand even), and paid a premium to do so I have absolutely no regrets and would do it all over again. The SAG factor is simply off the charts, and the 1 M manual gearbox kit is unequivocally the best of any vehicle (let alone BMW) I've experienced in my 30+ years of driving. There's a reason why it was selected to be slotted in as the gearbox for the F8# M's.

But if you can't reconcile the obvious trade-offs that old vs. new introduce, then the M2 is a worthy choice, particularly if you are someone like me that loves to use the Euro Delivery and Performance Center Delivery options (now even available to the kids on the west coast).

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0