View Single Post
      01-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #41
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
The main issue was lack of preparation by the government. The meteorologists were calling for at most 1" of snow, but mostly rain in Atlanta. Well, at 10AM they we got the freezing rain that coated everything, and by 11 it was snowing. So at noon all businesses and schools decided to shut down. This dumped over 6 million people onto the highways within the span of 1 hour. Keep in mind this city is so retarded that we have 3 major highways to get out of the city. The best part is that there are all 1 highway in the heart of the city... Given that the average commute is likely around 25 miles one way, and you get people stranded on the roads for hours.

So know you have 1+ million people trying to get to their kids or home, plus ice on the highways from the freezing rain and snowfall. Combine this with the fact that half the city is on super worn tires, the other high is on summer only tires, and no one has any idea what a winter tire is... and you get a slip and side commute.

Combine all of this with the fact that people drive on snow or ice 1 day out of every decade down here, and you get a completely shut down city. No Fun.

Personally I took no chances given I have only summer tires, and worked from home the entire week. I will be tomorrow as well to avoid the sand blasting and rock shower I will get since the city prefers gravel and sand to salt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyrayS2k View Post
Snow was not the problem. The roads became a sheet of ice. No one drives on that without 4 wheel drive. Even 18 wheelers were sliding and wrecking.
This was actually a large part of the issue. Most roads were shutdown as the trucks blocked all lanes when they jack-knifed.

Last edited by siegester; 01-30-2014 at 08:52 AM..
Appreciate 0