E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > So frustrated with my car right now...

11-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

So frustrated with my car right now...

I've had a few issues here and there but never anything this big. I've been hearing a chattering sound (not flywheel chatter) and I thought it was clutch related. It wasn't until a couple of days ago when I confirmed that it's actually the power steering pump bracket at the end where it meets the oil pan that is missing a bolt. I thought, ok, I'll buy the missing bolt and install it. How hard can it be? It ended up being a gordion knot. I mean this space is so damn tight it makes me feel claustrophobic. I placed a mirror there to check if the holes lined up first and it looked good. I put the bolt on and twist it, it's was getting tighter for maybe two turns. It got a lot tighter to the point where it would not go anymore. Apparently, some dipshit decided it would be ok to leave a broken stud in the oil pan mounting hole. It looks like they used the wrong bolt too so they likely stripped the pan threads. I'm now being told that this is going to require a new/used oil pan to properly mount the power steering pump to or you tap/heli coil the pan. WTF. How did I get here?

The only "silver lining" is I have a bad oil pan leak so it needed repairing anyway so I bought the gasket and bolts and sensor gasket but I didn't think I would have to replace the whole pan...
Any advice? Repair the pan or replace it? There are no cracks but it is the original pan.

Thanks

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs

Last edited by N54Society; 11-16-2015 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0