BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 check before buy.

08-01-2023, 12:37 AM   #1
Senyore
Registered
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2020

M2 check before buy.

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey!

I am ahead of buying a g87 m2 comp, i have found a low milage in a nice colour and went to check the car. It looked amazing it drove amazing however i got some worries. In the engine bay i found lots of stains, for me it looked oil, the car does not leak oil but still i am not confident.

I have scheduled a trailer to take the car for inspection however if anyone could have a defenetive answer wether the car was defective based on the pictures it would save me the trailer and inspection costs.

Last but not least on carvertical the last recorded milage was 3000 kms it has now 12000 kms on the clock, and shows window damage with esimated repair cost of 1000$.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 04:15 PM   #2
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

What you are seeing there is cosmoline, which is a product they spray in the body panels to prevent corrosion. It drips out when hot and attracts dirt.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 04:19 PM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Yep. Just a coating. Normal to see drips of it collecting grime around the engine bay. Its on all the F87 cars as well, and probably every BMW ever made in the past 30 years if i had to guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 07:09 PM   #4
agent_orange
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F25 X3 30d, 2021 F87 M2C

Normal like others have said but still a bit annoying.
I'd be more concerned about the apparent use of 0W20 oil.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 06:20 AM   #5
twolegittwoquit
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible

I’m not an expert, but have researched this topic a bit and purchased a couple N55 cars in the last couple years.

The first photo is showing *edit* the front of the car, nothing near where an oil leak would form. it would be very odd for oil to accumulate there, I think? It seems more like oil might be dropped there from an oil filter change but otherwise no idea how oil would end up there so I’d assume the previous comments about what that might be.

The common oil issues these engines might have are the valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket. Oil filter housing is front of engine and near center, just to the right as you face the engine (there’s a round oil filter cover on it). See if you can find oil dripping from that.

The valve cover gasket often drips (if it’s dripping) onto a metal piece on the left side of the engine, down quite a bit from top of the engine. You can see where the valve cover stops (it’s black plastic) and where oil would drip onto this tray, but you need a flashlight. It could still be dirty, and that doesn’t mean oil is leaking.

The one time I caught this on a used m235i, I also could smell oil burning in the cabin (didn’t buy that car!).

On a low mileage car I’d be surprised if it had oil leak issues.

Last edited by twolegittwoquit; 08-02-2023 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Stated wrong term
Appreciate 0