BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Carbonio front plate mount? Anyone have this?

11-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #1
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Carbonio front plate mount? Anyone have this?

Looking for options for front plate mounting and came across Carbonio. No drilling but mounts onto the grill. From what I can tell, I think it has only been out for a month or so. Just wondering if anyone here has this or knows about this one?

https://www.carbonio.com/BMW_M2_M3_M...m-bmw-m2-6.htm

Last edited by just blaze; 11-26-2017 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
BLOJOE78.50
bobert858.50
ZPrime611.50
      11-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
ThreeP
Rep
Drives: BMW F87

I have this installed on mine. I like it a lot . Easy to install and clean looking.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeP View Post
I have this installed on mine. I like it a lot . Easy to install and clean looking.
Do you happen to have any pictures mounted on your M2? I was wondering if it was possible to mount it slightly higher on grill than the picture of the mount on the M3
      11-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #4
GreyF87
HawaiiM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 05 G35

this looks better than Big Mikes.....truely no holes drilled.....I will get one....
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
That is extremely nice! I want that on the M2 Competition. You can easily remove the plate for photos!

MR
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep

I just ordered this and will update the thread once I have it installed
      11-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
Voomar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB (week 35)

I also ordered the Carbonio license plate holder today. FWIW: I have one of their CF CAI for my Audi DD...impressive quality, so I'm hopeful of the same with the holder.

Also FWIW: I ordered and installed one of the BMS tow hook plate holders on my M2 LCI.

http://www.burgertuning.com/tow_hook...ix_racing.html

Quality of the part is also very good, but the mounting position was not working for me. Even when using the shortest mounting hardware supplied with the kit, the plate stuck out too far from the front of the bumper for my liking. I think the Carbonio will be a better solution, albeit at almost 5x the price of the BMS solution!

Last edited by Voomar; 11-28-2017 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
jhp612
Rep
Drives: none

Ordered
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #9
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
Awesome tip, thanks - just ordered one. Pricey, but better than drilling holes, which I was actually gonna do 'cause I hate the look of tow hook mounts. Also killer timing, as my car could arrive at the dealer as early as tomorrow.
      11-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #10
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Quote:
Awesome tip, thanks - just ordered one. Pricey, but better than drilling holes, which I was actually gonna do 'cause I hate the look of tow hook mounts. Also killer timing, as my car could arrive at the dealer as early as tomorrow.
NP! I was sure I was going to do the tow hook mount but the more I looked at it, I decided I didn't like the offset look. I was so close to settling for the Big Mike's and accepting drilling one hole beneath to mount. Luckily I found this randomly on YT. Hope it works just as good as the video.
      11-28-2017, 11:33 PM   #11
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
NP! I was sure I was going to do the tow hook mount but the more I looked at it, I decided I didn't like the offset look. I was so close to settling for the Big Mike's and accepting drilling one hole beneath to mount. Luckily I found this randomly on YT. Hope it works just as good as the video.
I feel sorry for you SF and LA folks that get stopped for no front plate. We're lucky just 30 minutes south of you and it's no problem... Now that I've said that, I bet I get a ticket!

I'm planning to put some rare earth magnets inside the front bumper, and then glue some others to the front plate mount. I did this on my previous car and now on my wife's car in it works great, is cheap, though it is a bit of work.

I attach the front plate whenever I park in SF and then pull it off when I leave.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:38 PM   #12
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Quote:
I feel sorry for you SF and LA folks that get stopped for no front plate. We're lucky just 30 minutes south of you and it's no problem... Now that I've said that, I bet I get a ticket!

I'm planning to put some rare earth magnets inside the front bumper, and then glue some others to the front plate mount. I did this on my previous car and now on my wife's car in it works great, is cheap, though it is a bit of work.

I attach the front plate whenever I park in SF and then pull it off when I leave.
Yeah it's unfortunate. I've gotten way too many "no front plate" tickets in the past I didn't wanna deal with the hassle anymore. It's not so much SF but more of the smaller surrounding cities around it. Oh and we can't forget the metermaids when you're parked.
      11-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Yeah it's unfortunate. I've gotten way too many "no front plate" tickets in the past I didn't wanna deal with the hassle anymore. It's not so much SF but more of the smaller surrounding cities around it. Oh and we can't forget the metermaids when you're parked.
I literally never drive in SF besides right off the 280 and 101 to park in Bernal. Then I either walk, uber, bus, or BART. Did the same when I was driving a Mazda 3 though, I just hate driving in the city.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 04:23 PM   #14
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Mine shows delivery by end of day Friday.
      12-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #15
eddie_yvp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (MG)

Trying to figure out what I’m going to do - would love to see pics of this (and other center mount solutions) installed on an M2. Also looking at the sto n sho and the skene mounts - seems like the skene could get the plate a bit higher and block less air (not that I’m too concerned about it) - but haven’t seen any good pics installed. So if anybody could post pics of their installation, it would be very much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 02:56 PM   #16
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_yvp View Post
Trying to figure out what I’m going to do - would love to see pics of this (and other center mount solutions) installed on an M2. Also looking at the sto n sho and the skene mounts - seems like the skene could get the plate a bit higher and block less air (not that I’m too concerned about it) - but haven’t seen any good pics installed. So if anybody could post pics of their installation, it would be very much appreciated!
Mine just came a couple hours ago:
Attached Images

12-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #17
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mine just came a couple hours ago:
Awesome, how do you like it? I have to wait till next Tuesday being all the way out in Cali.
      12-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #18
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, how do you like it? I have to wait till next Tuesday being all the way out in Cali.
Very happy with it - good construction & design, easy install, perfectly centered.
      12-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #19
eddie_yvp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (MG)

Quote:
Very happy with it - good construction & design, easy install, perfectly centered.
Looks great - thanks for posting. Is that as high as you can mount the plate? Also, is there much movement with the plate itself since it only uses the bottom screws or is it pretty stable? I guess I could do double side tape on the top of the plate to keep it from flapping back and forth.

Would love to see a profile view if you've got one.

Last edited by eddie_yvp; 12-03-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #20
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Looks great - thanks for posting. Is that as high as you can mount the plate? Also, is there much movement with the plate itself since it only uses the bottom screws or is it pretty stable? I guess I could do double side tape on the top of the plate to keep it from flapping back and forth.

Yes, that is as high as it goes. It's pretty sturdy - there are four 'claws' on the back that grab onto the grille slots, and a central lock nut that pulls them tight up against the grille. There are also a pair of self-adhesive clear rubber dots in case the plate is pushed up against the front bumper.
Attached Images

12-03-2017, 11:47 PM   #21
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, that is as high as it goes. It's pretty sturdy - there are four 'claws' on the back that grab onto the grille slots, and a central lock nut that pulls them tight up against the grille. There are also a pair of self-adhesive clear rubber dots in case the plate is pushed up against the front bumper.
Thanks bobert. I was wondering if it could be mounted higher to restrict even less airflow to the intercooler but it looks like it should have more that enough flow for daily driving
      12-04-2017, 12:25 AM   #22
GreyF87
HawaiiM2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 05 G35

Just got mine....I like it way better than Big Mike Sto N Sho......way more sturdy and really a no drill solution.....
sto n sho and skeen you gotta drill.....
Appreciate 0