BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Pure Stage 2 dyno results & build thread

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2017, 11:09 PM   #1
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Norcalmav23's Avatar
180
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: AW DCT M2
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

Pure Stage 2 dyno results & build thread

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Figured it was time to share some results and start a thread. Hopefully I can help a fellow M2er out. Any questions let me know!

Story:
Ever since I took delivery of my DCT M2 back in November 2016, I knew I had serious plans for it. The turbo 6 was a big part of why I decided on the M2. I broke my planned mods into 4 phases. First was the cosmetic stuff which I completed before I took the car to the clear bra & ceramic pro shop. Second was the performance phase which I wanted to complete as quickly as possible after the break in period... (the mods don't get cheaper so I figured I would want to enjoy them for as long as possible ) Third will be tires, brakes, and suspension. The fourth phase was my dreamer phase...maybe Pure Stage 2.

Right around the time I really stared putting my performance mods list together proTUNING Freaks released their bootmod3 beta for the F series. My previous car was a FBO NA BRZ so I was comfortable with flashing and was pretty certain it would be the way to go for my M2. Through researching bootmod3 I found out about SSR Performance. Although they were 400 miles away I wanted to get everything done to my car in one stop and have my DME unlocked/flashed by the bootmod3 specialist. Through talking to them about my plans I was blown away by their customer service and eagerness to help me. So over the holidays I decided to make the trip down to Southern California and get this mod list done.
- DME unlock and bootmod3 flash
- Eventuri intake
- Pure inlet
- ER Downpipe
- Wagner Evo 2 comp intercooler (I wanted HUGE and light without cutting)
- FTP hardpipes (GREAT fitment)
- DV+

Curveball:
Unfortunately after getting there I found out that I supplied the wrong DV+. All M2 DV+ need to be modified to fit. Because I was already in Southern California I reached out to Pure Turbos to see if they could help me out. I figured I would drive over there, grab the correct DV+ and get it installed. Long story short, after some encouragement and amazing willingness to absorb a huge workload from SSR Performance... I ended up purchasing the Pure Turbos Stage 2 kit . The stories you have heard about Pure Turbos are all true. Their garage is a freaking lab and they have AWESOME customer service. SSR Performance literally worked through the night and completed the entire build in less than one day. These guys didn't sleep, stepped up huge, and did an awesome job

Happy:
From the moment I drove away from SSR Performance, the Pro Tuning Freaks team has been amazing to work with. After rounds of logging and map revisions I am currently running their version 5 Pure Stage 2 93oct map. Every single revision has had noticeable increases in both power and smoothness. These guys have developed an incredibly polished flashing and logging solution. We knew going into it that the dreaded N55 HPFP on pump gas would be the bottleneck. As you will see in the results below, 6k+ the car is running out of fuel. Once I decide on either an E85 or meth solution I am excited to see what Pro Tuning Freaks can squeeze out of my build

Results:
Regrettably, I didn't do a baseline dyno on my car. BUT IND did share their baseline DCT-M2-93oct 5th gear pull on dynojet with me. 336hp and 371tq. THANK YOU IND! My results below are DCT-M2-93oct doing a 5th gear pull also on a dynojet. 436hp and 565tq, 100hp and 194tq gained! 2nd gear is an absolute joke, 3rd gear I'm struggling for traction
Attached Images
   
__________________
2017 M2 - AW DCT - BM3 93 oct, Pure Stage 2, FBO, happy
2013 BRZ - was a GREAT car... just not fast enough
2008 VW GTI - first experience with boost
97 Integra GSR - crashed it

Last edited by Norcalmav23; 01-17-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Appreciate 29
      01-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #2
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
957
Rep
3,714
Posts

Drives: '17 M2
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (1)

Great for 93oct and stock fueling!
      01-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #3
SSR Performance
SSR Performance's Avatar
United_States
160
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: S55 -F80 / N54 -135i / N55-535
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

WOW

SO glad to see this! The wait felt like forever!! Those are some amazing numbers... there is definitely more left in it with the future PI and E85 tunability when the fueling is figured out!

So glad that we were able to bust this mission for you. Thank you so much for all of the kind words and for trusting our team to take care of you. Welcome to the #SSRARMY!
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2017, 02:13 AM   #4
FSociety
IG: @bmwx4m40i
FSociety's Avatar
Dominican Republic
1466
Rep
5,202
Posts

Drives: 16 X4 M40i Long Beach Blue
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC|NJ

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to FSociety
Norcalmav23 congrats !!!!!!!

Another win for Bootmod3 and this is not even final wow!
__________________
F26 LBB X4 M40i @AIMPerformanceNJ DP & CTSTurbo FMIC PTF Bootmod3 @EnzoRacing Uniden R3
Roll-Racing/Drag Oct 1st *PA*
BM3 vs 335 JB4
CTS-Intercooler Logs/Pics

Last edited by FSociety; 01-18-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2017, 02:20 AM   #5
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
AlexCirci's Avatar
298
Rep
327
Posts

Drives: LBB M2
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Wow thanks for sharing this! So awesome to see someone finally go with this kind of build. Those numbers are pretty awesome for just the start as once fueling gets squared away I'm sure the numbers will be even more impressive.
__________________
F87 M2 - LBB - 6MT - Exec Package
insta - @LBB_M2
Appreciate 3
      01-18-2017, 02:33 AM   #6
Orange fever
Colonel
Orange fever's Avatar
Thailand
254
Rep
2,183
Posts

Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,135i,i3,M2
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SoCal. in the hood!!!

iTrader: (5)

lets see more hp please ///
__________________

F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner CF Front Spoiler,Rear Diffuser,Decklip Spoiler,Vorsteiner VFF-107 wheels,
VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER downpipe,Macht Schnell-Springs
BMW I01 i3 Rex- H&R Springs ///
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Norcalmav23's Avatar
180
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: AW DCT M2
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Great for 93oct and stock fueling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR Performance View Post
WOW

SO glad to see this! The wait felt like forever!! Those are some amazing numbers... there is definitely more left in it with the future PI and E85 tunability when the fueling is figured out!

So glad that we were able to bust this mission for you. Thank you so much for all of the kind words and for trusting our team to take care of you. Welcome to the #SSRARMY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Norcalmav23 congrats !!!!!!!

Another win for Bootmod3 and this is not even final wow!
Thanks guys, I'm very happy with these results. Plan in the near future is to upgrade to 265s and 285s. I'm pretty confident traction will be a lot better. Driveability as is, is actually pretty good. Just cant floor it in second etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirci View Post
Wow thanks for sharing this! So awesome to see someone finally go with this kind of build. Those numbers are pretty awesome for just the start as once fueling gets squared away I'm sure the numbers will be even more impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange fever View Post
lets see more hp please ///
Working on it we are going to try and refine the top end a bit. Once that is done I will head back to the dyno and update this thread with my 93oct final results. Then the E85/meth journey begins.
__________________
2017 M2 - AW DCT - BM3 93 oct, Pure Stage 2, FBO, happy
2013 BRZ - was a GREAT car... just not fast enough
2008 VW GTI - first experience with boost
97 Integra GSR - crashed it
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
FSociety
IG: @bmwx4m40i
FSociety's Avatar
Dominican Republic
1466
Rep
5,202
Posts

Drives: 16 X4 M40i Long Beach Blue
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC|NJ

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to FSociety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmav23 View Post
Thanks guys, I'm very happy with these results. Plan in the near future is to upgrade to 265s and 285s. I'm pretty confident traction will be a lot better. Driveability as is, is actually pretty good. Just cant floor it in second etc.

Working on it we are going to try and refine the top end a bit. Once that is done I will head back to the dyno and update this thread with my 93oct final results. Then the E85/meth journey begins.
Just told my M2 friend Vapeconj what he needs haha.

Are you leaning more towards Meth (Cooling/Power) or Port Injection (if E85 is around the corner from you) ?

I would like to do both (Meth for its cooling purpose) and PI for the power of E85
__________________
F26 LBB X4 M40i @AIMPerformanceNJ DP & CTSTurbo FMIC PTF Bootmod3 @EnzoRacing Uniden R3
Roll-Racing/Drag Oct 1st *PA*
BM3 vs 335 JB4
CTS-Intercooler Logs/Pics
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
quikM2
Lieutenant
Canada
124
Rep
433
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

What do you think the M2 would like better as I have no 93 octane here like shell vpower with no ethanol. We only have 91 with zero ethanol or Husky/Mohawk carries 94 with 10% ethanol? On stock tune does it matter?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Norcalmav23's Avatar
180
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: AW DCT M2
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Just told my M2 friend Vapeconj what he needs haha.

Are you leaning more towards Meth (Cooling/Power) or Port Injection (if E85 is around the corner from you) ?

I would like to do both (Meth for its cooling purpose) and PI for the power of E85
I'm actually not sure yet. Just started researching it. Part with E85 that I'm hesitant about is that my fuel mileage/range will be terrible. There are a few E85 stations immediately around my house, but not many in the area. Meth is something I have ZERO experience with but I do like Burger Tuning's new 3 gallon stealth meth tank for the F series. Also with my current set up I actually have very low temps. Boost isn't crazy high (only 17psi tops) and my intercooler setup seems to work well. Big decisions to be made lol
__________________
2017 M2 - AW DCT - BM3 93 oct, Pure Stage 2, FBO, happy
2013 BRZ - was a GREAT car... just not fast enough
2008 VW GTI - first experience with boost
97 Integra GSR - crashed it
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
ashburyn54
Captain
ashburyn54's Avatar
328
Rep
722
Posts

Drives: f87 M2
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: dayton

iTrader: (0)

Thank you for sharing. There are rarely any strictly 93oct pure stage 2 dynos out there and none for our cars. I would be curious as to what boost your running. 18-taper to 14?

I will be running pure stage 2 as well and I'm so glad I read about the DV+. I don't think people realize how bad it sucks to put one of those on. It would suck After pulling the water pump just find out it doesn't fit.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
FSociety
IG: @bmwx4m40i
FSociety's Avatar
Dominican Republic
1466
Rep
5,202
Posts

Drives: 16 X4 M40i Long Beach Blue
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC|NJ

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to FSociety
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
What do you think the M2 would like better as I have no 93 octane here like shell vpower with no ethanol. We only have 91 with zero ethanol or Husky/Mohawk carries 94 with 10% ethanol? On stock tune does it matter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmav23 View Post
I'm actually not sure yet. Just started researching it. Part about E85 that I am hesitant about is that my fuel mileage/range will be terrible. There are a few E85 stations immediately around my house, but not many in the area. Meth is something I have ZERO experience with but I do like Burger Tuning's new 3 gallon stealth meth tank for the F series. Also with my current set up I actually have very low temps. Boost isn't crazy high (only 17psi tops) and my intercooler set up seems to work well. Big decisions to be made lol
Check these out
http://www.eospeed.com/collections/b...-injection-kit

http://www.eospeed.com/collections/b...n-kits-30-3300

Yes MPG would drop a bit but you can do E50 (best balance for power of E + enough 93 ) anything over E60 makes no more power and MPG is worse correct.

I agree the stealth meth tank is very cool, but I wouldn't get the BMS Meth kit personally "maybe only their tank" lol. Just talk to SSR Performance & PTF what would be the best option for you in the later weeks as you get familiar with things.

Want to hi5 for posting this, as many have said before you couldn't run Pure Stg2 turbos on 93 and here we have proTUNING Freaks Bootmod3 showing it can be done without a piggyback, without Meth or PI, just good ol' proper tuning tables.
__________________
F26 LBB X4 M40i @AIMPerformanceNJ DP & CTSTurbo FMIC PTF Bootmod3 @EnzoRacing Uniden R3
Roll-Racing/Drag Oct 1st *PA*
BM3 vs 335 JB4
CTS-Intercooler Logs/Pics
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #13
SeanWRT
Captain
SeanWRT's Avatar
448
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Shanghai

iTrader: (0)

Congrats! Impressive build! It's rare to see pump gas result with STG2 turbo.

Regarding the DV+, I reached out to GFB and was told m2 stock DV "looks" the same as N20 one which holds up to roughly 18psi from factory. They have yet to test the fitment of T9357 DV+ which is N20 version.

Which model did you end up using? A modified 9356, a stock 9357 or a modified 9357?
__________________
Lemania 2320
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #14
RPM2-85
Private First Class
126
Rep
176
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 AW
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

the DV is indeed a N20 version
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 09:29 PM   #15
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Norcalmav23's Avatar
180
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: AW DCT M2
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Check these out
http://www.eospeed.com/collections/b...-injection-kit

http://www.eospeed.com/collections/b...n-kits-30-3300

Yes MPG would drop a bit but you can do E50 (best balance for power of E + enough 93 ) anything over E60 makes no more power and MPG is worse correct.

I agree the stealth meth tank is very cool, but I wouldn't get the BMS Meth kit personally "maybe only their tank" lol. Just talk to SSR Performance & PTF what would be the best option for you in the later weeks as you get familiar with things.

Want to hi5 for posting this, as many have said before you couldn't run Pure Stg2 turbos on 93 and here we have proTUNING Freaks Bootmod3 showing it can be done without a piggyback, without Meth or PI, just good ol' proper tuning tables.
Thanks for the head start on the research It looks like the EOspeed PI kit compares against this one from Fuel-it http://www.fuel-it.biz/f-series-port-injection-1/ hmmmm. Adding another layer to this decision is that I plan to track my car a few days a year. Both tracks in Northern California currently don't have E85 available at the actual track... starting to feel like meth may actually be my best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Thank you for sharing. There are rarely any strictly 93oct pure stage 2 dynos out there and none for our cars. I would be curious as to what boost your running. 18-taper to 14?

I will be running pure stage 2 as well and I'm so glad I read about the DV+. I don't think people realize how bad it sucks to put one of those on. It would suck After pulling the water pump just find out it doesn't fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Congrats! Impressive build! It's rare to see pump gas result with STG2 turbo.

Regarding the DV+, I reached out to GFB and was told m2 stock DV "looks" the same as N20 one which holds up to roughly 18psi from factory. They have yet to test the fitment of T9357 DV+ which is N20 version.

Which model did you end up using? A modified 9356, a stock 9357 or a modified 9357?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM2-85 View Post
the DV is indeed a N20 version
Directly from Pure Turbos, they modify the T9356 DV+. I actually reached out to GFB myself back when the DV+ debacle happened and they said that their website stating the T9357 was compatible with the M2 was an error. That was a month ago though so maybe my info about the T9357 is now outdated.
__________________
2017 M2 - AW DCT - BM3 93 oct, Pure Stage 2, FBO, happy
2013 BRZ - was a GREAT car... just not fast enough
2008 VW GTI - first experience with boost
97 Integra GSR - crashed it
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #16
SeanWRT
Captain
SeanWRT's Avatar
448
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Shanghai

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmav23 View Post
Directly from Pure Turbos, they modify the T9356 DV+. I actually reached out to GFB myself back when the DV+ debacle happened and they said that their website stating the T9357 was compatible with the M2 was an error. That was a month ago though so maybe my info about the T9357 is now outdated.
It was last week that GFB told me they weren't sure of 9357 fitment and wait to test.

One thing m2 guys should feel good about is our DV already is an improved version and probably 18psi capable rated from factory.

Again what is your boost with bigger turbo?
__________________
Lemania 2320
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #17
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Norcalmav23's Avatar
180
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: AW DCT M2
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
It was last week that GFB told me they weren't sure of 9357 fitment and wait to test.

One thing m2 guys should feel good about is our DV already is an improved version and probably 18psi capable rated from factory.

Again what is your boost with bigger turbo?
Looks like 17psi is my max with a taper to 14 at the top end.
__________________
2017 M2 - AW DCT - BM3 93 oct, Pure Stage 2, FBO, happy
2013 BRZ - was a GREAT car... just not fast enough
2008 VW GTI - first experience with boost
97 Integra GSR - crashed it
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #18
MR_M2
Private First Class
54
Rep
146
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Looks like we need to have a Bay Area M2 meet just to see your car
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2017, 11:59 PM   #19
SeanWRT
Captain
SeanWRT's Avatar
448
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Shanghai

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmav23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
It was last week that GFB told me they weren't sure of 9357 fitment and wait to test.

One thing m2 guys should feel good about is our DV already is an improved version and probably 18psi capable rated from factory.

Again what is your boost with bigger turbo?
Looks like 17psi is my max with a taper to 14 at the top end.
That's a whole lot of air stg2 turbo is making for that boost. Impressive efficiency! Shame N55 has been fueling limited for its entire life span nobody offered a solution.
__________________
Lemania 2320
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 01:02 AM   #20
Norcalmav23
Second Lieutenant
Norcalmav23's Avatar
180
Rep
246
Posts

Drives: AW DCT M2
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_M2 View Post
Looks like we need to have a Bay Area M2 meet just to see your car
Just tell me when and where. Also would be fun to do a Bay Area M2 track day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
That's a whole lot of air stg2 turbo is making for that boost. Impressive efficiency! Shame N55 has been fueling limited for its entire life span nobody offered a solution.
Yah I'm not too excited to start messing around with fueling. Buuuut I'm already in this deep so I think I will just have to finish it off
__________________
2017 M2 - AW DCT - BM3 93 oct, Pure Stage 2, FBO, happy
2013 BRZ - was a GREAT car... just not fast enough
2008 VW GTI - first experience with boost
97 Integra GSR - crashed it
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #21
proTUNING Freaks
proTUNING Freaks's Avatar
915
Rep
972
Posts

Drives: powered by bootmod3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: www.protuningfreaks.com | www.bootmod3.com (soon)

iTrader: (0)

Killed it Ryan, thanks for the kind words sir!
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #22
joseyu
Private
14
Rep
75
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Would the Dinan fuel pump upgrade help with the fueling limitations?

http://www.dinancars.com/product/r42...ries&mid=1243/
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 AM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST