BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 incoming but coilovers arrived

04-18-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT MPerformance coilovers

Garage List
M2 incoming but coilovers arrived

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Went down to dealer yesterday to see the first M2 to come in. LBB - I must say the bulged out guards looked even more aggressive than the pics. My car arriving in about 1-2 weeks depending on ship/port clearance.

But the box containing coilovers arrived early:

Name:  IMG_2360 - Copy.JPG
Views: 17136
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2361 - Copy.JPG
Views: 17082
Size:  154.4 KB

Update April 19:

I am away to Shanghai later today and may still be away when the car arrives but I will ask my dealer sales guy to get me some pics if I am not here.

I went back to dealer yesterday to look at the first car in (mine is second) to see the ride height once the car had been prepped as there are blocks inserted into the springs during transport. This elevates the ride height as the full weight of the car is not sitting on the springs.

Decided to ask them to set up at standard height minus 10mm. Also factory road recommendations for bump and rebound and standard wheel alignment. I have asked them what the factory alignment is? Since I am mostly road and DD I don't want to wear the inside with to much negative camber. If I track it will get a revised alignment.

Should really get it corner weighted to check the height settings but dealer doesn't have any equipment so I may get my race prep guy for my other cars to do it later.

Will keep you informed....

Update April 30:

So car arrived at dealer now. Done 8 km. No plates on it yet and suspension goes on Monday. Here are a couple of pics at standard ride height.

Update May 3:

Went into the dealer today to check on progress with my car. Suspension is being installed with car on hoist and one corner done. More on this in a mo.

A MG dealer demo car had arrived for customers to drive so I took that for a relatively short drive on some back roads tighter and bumpier than main highway. Car is DCT on standard suspension. My impressions were that the jiggly ride at 50-60kph town speeds does smooth out and the ride over bumps and through corners is quite well tied down. For my taste a perfectly satisfactory compromise for DD. I will have to wait a few days to compare with my new suspension. Regarding other impressions of the car. I didn't redline it given not many kms on the clock but the car is fast enough and certainly entertaining and feelsome in a way that the M3/4 isn't. As with all modern steering we have lost some of the feedback and feel. I found the steering quite light and would prefer more feel and a bit more weight but then this for me is a DD and my other cars are quite extreme (Caterham replica with no power assist on anything, 72 911 also no power assist, Subaru Impreza tarmac rally car with 3 way adjustable shocks and sequential dog box.) Although the body is well tied down by the suspension you can still feel the weight transfers front to rear and side to side clearly and this not being near the limits.
I have not driven DCT much before and used all 3 modes comfort auto as well as sport and sport+ using paddles. I liked the instantaneous downshifts and burble on the over-run from the exhaust. I am happy with the DCT choice as a DD car and I have other manual cars should that urge need scratching.

Here is a pic of the right rear corner of my car - so far the only corner installed. One thing I did notice was the weight of MP rear shock was much heavier than the standard. Given that the shaft diameter is not much different the weight difference must be in the body and the internals. Certainly the body feels more substantial.

Re ride height the tech measured before any change (but remember only 8km on the odo) and then when we looked at the recommended height on the spec sheet the difference was about 25mm. An earlier post suggested 15mm on their car. The car may settle a bit lower once it has been driven a bit so I am wary of setting it too low. I will go look at the car once set to spec but before wheel alignment in case I want it raised a bit.

forgot to say the ends of the spring sit on standard rubber bushing at the top but bushing is deleted at the bottom. So less rubber in the system with the MP set up

Update May 4:

So here is the MP suspension installed at about 12mm lower ride height vs standard. The recommendation is for front to be 5mm lower than rear. We measured the standard as delivered (shipping blocks removed) and that was equal ride height all around. The dealer sat my car next to the MG demo car yesterday and said the lower ride height is very noticeable when cars are adjacent. Unfortunately it was raining today so we couldn't do the same for this pic. I still haven't driven my car only the standard suspension car yesterday. Today they will put the plates on and do wheel alignment. We will check ride heights at 2000km service and see if it has settled a bit lower - still only 8km on the odd

Update May 8:

So picked up car today and drove back to the same road I covered with the standard suspension dealer demo car. My initial impression was that over speed bumps and roadside kerb entry and exits the MP kit feels stiffer - quite a bit more - and exiting the dealer after pick up I was thinking I might have done the wrong thing. After all this for me is primarily a DD. A track day is a possibility but I have other cars for that so that will be occasional only. But the ride does smooth out and after a few miles I was thinking that at 100kph/60mph ride felt very similar to standard. Both are a bit fidgety but over bumps and pot hole covers there is no thump felt back through either the steering or chassis and not much impact noise either over motorway expansion joints.

I am happy with the recommended set up for bump and rebound but I can imagine that some might think that a click or 2 less aggressive might be fine too around town but dialed firmer for track - good to have the choice.

As I said above the ride height is a bit above that recommended (higher) I will measure again at the first service to see the cars drops a bit when everything settles.
Appreciate 8
      04-18-2016, 09:01 PM   #2
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Very excited to see it and hear your impressions. Congrats on the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Hamburgerman
Rep
Drives: Soon M235i

Yes! Looking forward to hearing your impressions with the new coilovers!
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Awesome! If possible, would you mind snapping a few pics during installation?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I have no idea how the car runs with stock suspension but I love how it rides with the MPS on. It is quite hard on bad roads but still very compliant but out on better roads it is just awesome.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Awesome! If possible, would you mind snapping a few pics during installation?
I am away to Shanghai later today and may still be away when the car arrives but I will ask my dealer sales guy to get me some pics if I am not here.

I went back to dealer yesterday to look at the first car in (mine is second) to see the ride height once the car had been prepped as there are blocks inserted into the springs during transport. This elevates the ride height as the full weight of the car is not sitting on the springs.

Decided to ask them to set up at standard height minus 10mm. Also factory road recommendations for bump and rebound and standard wheel alignment. I have asked them what the factory alignment is? Since I am mostly road and DD I don't want to wear the inside with to much negative camber. If I track it will get a revised alignment.

Should really get it corner weighted to check the height settings but dealer doesn't have any equipment so I may get my race prep guy for my other cars to do it later.

Will keep you informed....
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Here is mine at the BMW recommended height provided in the install instructions.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 23529
Size:  396.4 KB
Appreciate 23
      04-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
that looks good. How much lower is that? I had better check with the dealer again as I don't think they are very clued up on this. Mine is AW too- thinking of adding some M colour to create some pop to the visual but think the M stripe kit from factory is a bit too much. I quite like the front bumper treatment but not so much the side and rear bumper. AW suits the motorsport look so maybe a windscreen banner with M logo like this (delete the power - just a centred M
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 10:47 PM   #9
BMWPWR
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid
Here is mine at the BMW recommended height provided in the install instructions.

Attachment 1406634
Perfect.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #10
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
but then maybe the rain sensor/ high beam assist may not work with a banner in place??
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 11:05 PM   #11
Hoonigan808
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: VF620 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post

Attachment 1406634
What differences have you noticed over stock coilovers?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #12
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M+M View Post
that looks good. How much lower is that? I had better check with the dealer again as I don't think they are very clued up on this. Mine is AW too- thinking of adding some M colour to create some pop to the visual but think the M stripe kit from factory is a bit too much. I quite like the front bumper treatment but not so much the side and rear bumper. AW suits the motorsport look so maybe a windscreen banner with M logo like this (delete the power - just a centred M
I think it is about 15 mm. In the install instructions BMW provides a distance for fender to bottom of the wheel for the technicians to use. They should also place 2x 75kg in the seats while doing this.

The install instructions are very detailed so shouldn't be an issue. You'll also get a 2 page instruction on the rebound and compression settings and what they do and what is the recommended setup. The wheel alignment is set back as the stock car.

If you add the front bumper add-ons it will be quite low up front. I couldn't drive it like that over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonigan808 View Post
No idea unfortunately as I picked it up with the M Performance suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 06:40 AM   #13
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post

Attachment 1406634
Dope.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2016, 02:55 AM   #14
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
So car arrived at dealer now. Done 8 km. No plates on it yet and suspension goes on Monday. Here are a couple of pics at standard ride height.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #15
Robban
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Attachment 1406634
Sits nice!
Mperformance suspension kit will be installed on mine also, when it arrives.
Look clean.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #16
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
In the pics, has the car been prepped so the shipping blocks have been removed?

Will you be driving your M2 on the stock suspension prior to the install?
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #17
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
I think it is about 15 mm. In the install instructions BMW provides a distance for fender to bottom of the wheel for the technicians to use. They should also place 2x 75kg in the seats while doing this.

The install instructions are very detailed so shouldn't be an issue. You'll also get a 2 page instruction on the rebound and compression settings and what they do and what is the recommended setup. The wheel alignment is set back as the stock car.

If you add the front bumper add-ons it will be quite low up front. I couldn't drive it like that over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonigan808 View Post
No idea unfortunately as I picked it up with the M Performance suspension.
How much is the m performance suspension? Does it interfere with the drive modes?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #18
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinstylez View Post
How much is the m performance suspension? Does it interfere with the drive modes?
€1800 in Europe. Don't know the US pricing.
There are no drive modes for the suspension, so no.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 08:13 PM   #19
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bim2er View Post
In the pics, has the car been prepped so the shipping blocks have been removed?

Will you be driving your M2 on the stock suspension prior to the install?
Yes I asked the dealer that - He said yes blocks removed and car prepped but not groomed. They have to install local Nav maps etc.

If I drive it a few days before installation it will delay everything as I have to be away on business early in the week. Not sure I can wait the extra days.....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 11:32 PM   #20
Stav@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E46 ZHP & A3 TDI

Quote:
Can't wait to see the final product!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 07:47 PM   #21
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
Went into the dealer today to check on progress with my car. Suspension is being installed with car on hoist and one corner done. More on this in a mo.

A MG dealer demo car had arrived for customers to drive so I took that for a relatively short drive on some back roads tighter and bumpier than main highway. Car is DCT on standard suspension. My impressions were that the jiggly ride at 50-60kph town speeds does smooth out and the ride over bumps and through corners is quite well tied down. For my taste a perfectly satisfactory compromise for DD. I will have to wait a few days to compare with my new suspension. Regarding other impressions of the car. I didn't redline it given not many kms on the clock but the car is fast enough and certainly entertaining and feelsome in a way that the M3/4 isn't. As with all modern steering we have lost some of the feedback and feel. I found the steering quite light and would prefer more feel and a bit more weight but then this for me is a DD and my other cars are quite extreme (Caterham replica with no power assist on anything, 72 911 also no power assist, Subaru Impreza tarmac rally car with 3 way adjustable shocks and sequential dog box.) Although the body is well tied down by the suspension you can still feel the weight transfers front to rear and side to side clearly and this not being near the limits.
I have not driven DCT much before and used all 3 modes comfort auto as well as sport and sport+ using paddles. I liked the instantaneous downshifts and burble on the over-run from the exhaust. I am happy with the DCT choice as a DD car and I have other manual cars should that urge need scratching.

Here is a pic of the right rear corner of my car - so far the only corner installed. One thing I did notice was the weight of MP rear shock was much heavier than the standard. Given that the shaft diameter is not much different the weight difference must be in the body and the internals. Certainly the body feels more substantial.

Re ride height the tech measured before any change (but remember only 8km on the odo) and then when we looked at the recommended height on the spec sheet the difference was about 25mm. An earlier post suggested 15mm on their car. The car may settle a bit lower once it has been driven a bit so I am wary of setting it too low. I will go look at the car once set to spec but before wheel alignment in case I want it raised a bit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #22
M+M
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
forgot to say the ends of the spring sit on standard rubber bushing at the top but bushing is deleted at the bottom. So less rubber in the system with the MP set up
Appreciate 0