BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust

04-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
macantonioc
Rep
Drives: 2005 Evo MR

M Performance Exhaust

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
What do you guys think of the sound of the M Performance exhaust? I really like the stock sound as it is but also starting to like this one as well.

Video posted by Alaatin61 from the Netherlands (sound inside building):

Video posted by Sébastien Cosse (sound outside). White safety M2 arrives in the background:

Video posted by bimmerpost (sound outside)

The one posted by bimmerpost I believe has the carbon fiber tips, not sure about the other two videos. Also not sure if flaps are open or closed. Pretty sure they are open in the first video!

Thanks all
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

With the introduction of the Tesla Model 3 (which is a cool car), I can see a dark future.. where loud exhausts mated with strong ICE engines are dying a slow death. Gone will be the days when one could appreciate the roar and burbles of these devices we all cherish. So... I want my cars for the time being to be somewhat loud and mechanically rambunctious. I will be getting the MPE for the M2...maybe even an Akra down the line if I didn't go M Performance.

From all the videos I have seen (heard), the difference between the stock and M performance exhaust is pretty distinct. The stock sounds great on the M2; as BMW learned a lesson from the F80/82 mishap. But man... I am really liking the M Perf sound, at least from videos!

Ideally I want:
-LBB M2, exec, manual (I am having some DCT thoughts since I have driven stick my entire life..lol)
-MPE
-M Perf coilovers (price a deterrent here)
-Black kidney grills, side gills, CF spoiler

That's the M2 build I drool over everyday... Rear diffuser would be nice, but then I am going above my original costs..

Last edited by csbear; 04-05-2016 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
I'm ordering MPE for sure. Hopefully, it will be installed at the port. I know the stock sounds really good but MPE sounds even better
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

MPE sounds so good. The price is hard to get around, but I'm thinking of just biting the bullet. It'll really elevate/transform the feel and thrill factor of the car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I'm ordering MPE for sure. Hopefully, it will be installed at the port. I know the stock sounds really good but MPE sounds even better
Did you already order your car/when are you expecting? (Being in the Bay) I'm hoping to hear the MPE in person before I pull the trigger
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Cost/Performance ratio doesn't make any sense to me on the MPE, I'm waiting on a weight savings/performance gain that will earn my hard earned cash...
      04-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

MPE at work:
      04-05-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

$3k for a muffler (without tips )is absolutely insane. I'd rather spend a few hundred on a downpipe and get even better sound AND a performance boost. Again, this is just a muffler not a full exhaust.
Appreciate 3
      04-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
Did you already order your car/when are you expecting? (Being in the Bay) I'm hoping to hear the MPE in person before I pull the trigger
I'm #1 at Stevens Creek and currently waiting for an allocation. I already filled out the order sheet and it's in the order bank. Unfortunately, I don't think I will take the delivery before July based on current uncertainty. But when I get my car, I would be happy to meet for you to take look.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #10
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm #1 at Stevens Creek and currently waiting for an allocation. I already filled out the order sheet and it's in the order bank. Unfortunately, I don't think I will take the delivery before July based on current uncertainty. But when I get my car, I would be happy to meet for you to take look.
I'm in the same boat. I went through Cartelligent in Sausalito, and I believe the order is via Stevens Creek too. I've been told September-November. Let the waiting game continue... I'll definitely take you up on that offer though
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

MPE will be installed from day #1! I want a loud car!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #12
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

wait until you hear the akra
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 04:47 PM   #13
AGAV13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima
MPE will be installed from day #1! I want a loud car!
It's loud in stock form and what I believe is a perfect sounding stock exhaust.
SOLD
2013 BMW 135is #363/586 - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:06 PM   #14
FrankMPower
CalcioGuy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
MPE at work:
This little gadget come standard with the M2 or just when you buy MPE?
      04-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

BMW is taking food off the plates of aftermarket tuners ...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #16
kgroschi
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08' M5, '09 335i, '18 M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
With the introduction of the Tesla Model 3 (which is a cool car), I can see a dark future.. where loud exhausts mated with strong ICE engines are dying a slow death. Gone will be the days when one could appreciate the roar and burbles of these devices we all cherish. So... I want my cars for the time being to be somewhat loud and mechanically rambunctious. I will be getting the MPE for the M2...maybe even an Akra down the line if I didn't go M Performance.

From all the videos I have seen (heard), the difference between the stock and M performance exhaust is pretty distinct. The stock sounds great on the M2; as BMW learned a lesson from the F80/82 mishap. But man... I am really liking the M Perf sound, at least from videos!

I very much agree with you.

Verde Mantis Green M3 F80 Manual
-
Motor Journalist from Germany and BMW Genius
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #17
Norsk
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

+1 on Model 3

18 months and bye bye fossil fuel car

Quote:

Ideally I want:
-LBB M2, exec, manual (I am having some DCT thoughts since I have driven stick my entire life..lol)
-MPE

That's the M2 build I drool over everyday... Rear diffuser would be nice, but then I am going above my original costs..
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #18
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk
+1 on Model 3

18 months and bye bye fossil fuel car

Quote:

Ideally I want:
-MPE

The issue of federal tax credits running out by the time the Model 3 is on sale is interesting to me.
      04-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #19
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky
$3k for a muffler (without tips )is absolutely insane. I'd rather spend a few hundred on a downpipe and get even better sound AND a performance boost. Again, this is just a muffler not a full exhaust.
You can buy a nice used motorcycle for that price.
Appreciate 2
ewohar21.50
      04-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #20
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Are you planning to go to the BMW 100th anniversary event at Laguna?
It's mid-August. BMWCCA Oktoberfest etc.
You'd be one of the cool guys if you bring your M2 !!
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #21
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku
Quote:
Are you planning to go to the BMW 100th anniversary event at Laguna?
It's mid-August. BMWCCA Oktoberfest etc.
You'd be one of the cool guys if you bring your M2 !!
I will definitely be there with some of my friends and of course my M2 will be there too.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #22
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky View Post
THIS^^ should be a proper catback for that price