///Jason
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i S-Drive M-Sport

Top Gear BMW M2 Review

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I know there's been several reviews now but this is a new one from Top Gear and reads rather well. Enjoy!

Flat out in the new BMW M2

Crunch time for BMW’s M Division. The 370bhp M2 needs to be better than good...

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/revi...t-new-bmw-m2#1

Was there an identifiable moment when it happened? I’m not sure. It was a gradual thing. Maybe the end of the V8 M3 was the inflection point, but look deeper and it has been a longer process than that. BMW M has become a different company from the one that is still lodged in our collective conscious. For the past three or four years it hasn’t sold a single car that is quite what we really think an M car should be. Today’s M cars – and M SUVs, we shouldn’t forget – are all brutally quick and extremely capable. But they aren’t the intimate driving machines they once were. The mission has been creeping; the plot, if not lost, then certainly mislaid.

So I very badly want the M2 not just to be great, but a very specific kind of great. I don’t just want a car that feels alive at crazy-quick speeds, but one that’s always alert and talking. One that’s friendly, not aloof. I suspect M is perfectly capable of building a car like that, but does it want to any longer? The cars it does build are selling in record numbers. M owns today. Maybe it wouldn’t be such a smart idea to build a car for those of us who instead want yesterday.

This particular today, the sun rises on the M2 for my first sight of it. The proportions are squat and the light licks over its amply contoured sides, distended as they are to cover a significantly wider track than any other 2-Series. The rear wings are actually 80mm wider than normal. At the front, huge intakes gulp air that’s guided by scything aerofoils. Behind, M’s usual four tailpipes trumpet their audible and, equally, visual message. From no angle is it exactly beautiful, but from every one it looks like it determinedly means business, of the most engaging kind.

A good start. And it’s small. Much shorter than an M4, overall and in the wheelbase. That should by all rights make it more wieldy and lighter. Except that the M2, being the cheaper one, doesn’t have the exotic carbon-fibre body parts of the M4, so it ended up weighing, at 1,495kg, hardly any less. Ah well. It’s got a 3.0-litre six-cylinder engine of 370bhp and 369lb ft. (Actually the spec sheet says 343lb ft, but an overboost function can run for 30 seconds straight, and I can’t imagine a circumstance when you’d need longer.) The M4, which has two turbos and a significantly different engine, makes 431bhp. But the M2’s single-turbo engine isn’t just the standard BMW direct-injection double-VANOS 3.0-litre; it has M3 pistons and M3 main bearings, and a special exhaust. It also has cooling and oiling greatly upgraded for track work.

Let’s not fret in advance about the power decrement versus the M4, or indeed the smaller gap behind the Mercedes-AMG A45. This is still the sort of power number we got properly frothy about only a very few years ago. And a car that uses well its 370 is better than one that doesn’t know what to do with 400-plus. Besides, the spec sheet claims 0–62 in 4.3 seconds for the double-clutch version, and that’s perfectly urgent enough.

The advance publicity for the M2 spoke glibly about its using M4 suspension. But it’s not just a simple Frankencar, 4-Series below and 2-Series on top. Not least because the wheelbase is different, the suspension has been revised in all sorts of subtle ways, including springs and dampers and bushes. The dampers are non-adaptive, unlike the M4’s set. Michelin’s tyres are designed just for the M2. The electronically controlled locking diff has been remapped too, and the DSC.

A whole panoply of reasons to approach the M2 with an open mind, then.

We’re at the Laguna Seca racetrack, and I’ll be getting a helping of that. But it’s a road car, and the road is where my aching curiosity about the M2 lies – after all, M cars always show up well on a dry racetrack. BMW people helpfully suggest we set off up the Pacific Coast Highway. That road will be smooth, the views lovely, they say. Sorry, not going. The traffic will be heavy, and the police vigilant.

Instead, I aim the car inland toward a bumpy, heavily cambered and endlessly twisty road that runs for miles through a wooded valley. It has dips and crests and some very three-dimensional corners in endless variety and ever-changing radius. It also has some damp patches and surfaces from the quiet to the coarsely gravelly. In short, it’s going to give the car the Spanish Inquisition.

Right from the off, it’s clear the M2’s heart beats rapidly and its nervous system is alert. Its control arcs are quick and direct. Yet nothing is jumpy or falsely over-amplified. It’s all naturally progressive. Your initial staccato probings quickly evolve to a smooth and measured flow down the road, settling in without a complaint during the trip’s gentle beginnings in slow-moving convoys of excessively patient Americans. But even there, you’re feeling a two-way communication from the car and the road. Already it seems like it wants to team up and work with you.

Then the road empties, and the M2 starts to open its heart. The suspension is firm, for sure, but not harsh. This, despite the fact that, like the M4, it uses some ball joints on the suspension arms and parts of the front subframes are solid-bolted rather than rubber-bushed to the shell – all in the name of precision in the steering and tight control of wheel alignment. The thing just goes where it’s pointed, moving in exact and predictable proportion with your hands on the wheel. Stir up some more speed, and those front tyres cleave with epic determination to the line. That’s not the special bit, though. The first sign of the M2’s deep talent is the steering feel, the tingling of engagement that it wraps you in.

Since you’re so confident of the state of play down at the front tyres, you can joyfully get to work on the throttle and bring the rear end into play. Traction is generous almost to a fault, even when it’s bumpy, but gradually you can get the back to edge outward. As at the front, you’ve a delightfully transparent channel of messages to work with.

And right there, you have a car that’s separated itself from the M3 and M4. They are serious machines that demand skill and commitment. Under many conditions, I find I fall short. Their steering is more remote, their back ends prone to flicking sideways without due notice. They’re a challenge. The M2 is a game. It’s warm and tolerant, both of unpredictable roads and clumsy driving.

It stays friendly, even as the road taunts it with endless mid-corner bumps and diagonal crests. The damping and roll control are fabulous, always keeping the body in control and the tyres four-square. It tells you what’s going on because it’s all about dialogue, but it shrugs off the distraction and gets on with the underlying plot.

The engine is far more than a bit player in all this. It’s creamily well-mannered for dawdling, so you might wonder if it’ll have the ideal sharpness when you fully uncork it. It does, more or less. Below 3,000rpm it’s on the laggy side, but after that you’re on a level field of torque – it doesn’t swell charismatically towards the 7,000rpm red line, but it’ll go there obligingly. The light-throttle burble is elbowed aside by a blare in its high-rev excursions; hardly the most memorable noise M ever made, but, to be fair, it sounds a whole lot better than the turbo fours we’re used to in this kind of car.

The manual gearbox suits it well – the shift nicely oiled and the ratios stacking closely enough to be covered by the engine’s torque spread. And the four-piston brakes wash away speed with the power you want and the straightforward progression you hardly notice.

Back at Laguna Seca, I’m in an M2 with the optional double-clutch seven-speed for laps of the track. Sure enough it whip-cracks through the gears, up or down. That uninterrupted power buys you quicker acceleration than the manual, and it needs less brain effort, so you can devote more to the other overwhelmingly busy tasks piled upon you by this remarkable circuit. It lies in wait with tightening corners and stomach-inverting changes of elevation.

Out here on the wide and fast tarmac, the M2 never wilts. The e-diff locks a bit to help keep you stable in the places where you need to brake deep into corners, yet on others where you need quick turn-in, it’s as agile as the short wheelbase suggests, because the diff stays open. The balance mid-corner is spot-on. Or it’s happy to give you options. Under throttle, you’ve got that same determined traction that’s such an asset on the road. Lift a bit then get back on the power, and it’ll go into proper oversteer, either a quick dab if you’ve got the traction control in the Sport+ mode, or if it’s switched off, then here comes all the drift you could want, easily initiated, balanced and caught. If your aim is the carefree torching of tyres, no other car I can recall leads you by the hand like this one does.

But when all that’s over, it’s a 2-Series. Its cruising or commuting manners are perfectly urbane, the ergonomics are spot-on and the interior quality is fine, if not quite now at Audi level. Grown-ups can just about get in the back. They’ve decorated the cabin for M duty: the sports seats are terrific, Alcantara trims the doors, and the steering wheel rocks the classic three-colour stitching. The connected navigation is standard, and it has a nifty Bluetooth hook-up to a GoPro, so you can see the camera’s view on the car’s screen. Another app gives speed/line/steering post-lap analysis.

You can add a tasty-sounding menu of aftermarket accessories from BMW M, including carbon aero body parts, adjustable suspension and a switchably louder exhaust. But much of it looks like money best left unspent. I’m not sure I could be trusted to adjust suspension to be better than the one that’s native to the M2.

This car just has a rightness to it, a feeling of straightforwardness and transparency. It’s supposed to be the most affordable M car, and much of that comparative simplicity comes from the need to take cost out. Of course it’s not so fast. But it’s more fun to nudge it up against the best speeds it can do, its engine working its heart out and the chassis straining every sinew – and telling you all about it. It’s less complex, less exotic and smaller than the others. Funnily enough, for those reasons and more, it’s not just the M car you can most afford.

It’s the one you most want.
Appreciate 23
      03-27-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Was just about to post this myself. Love the last line of the review:

"it’s not just the M car you can most afford.
It’s the one you most want."
Appreciate 3
      03-28-2016, 12:06 AM   #3
M///Fanatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E83 X3, F87 M2, 17' i3 REX

More and more reviews affirm my decision to move on from the E46 M3, to my new M2!

03-28-2016, 12:28 AM   #4
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

While it may have been a favorable review for the M2 it was just a pile of buzzwords one after another and didn't really say anything.
Appreciate 19
      03-28-2016, 12:33 AM   #5
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
While it may have been a favorable review for the M2 it was just a pile of buzzwords one after another and didn't really say anything.
I second that. I did like the last sentence tho. Regardless it will be great when top gear is back and we can finally get Chris Harris thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 01:30 AM   #6
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrickid View Post
Amen! It reads like a paper written by an English major who is trying too hard. But at least the conclusion is clear.
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2016, 03:14 AM   #7
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

The problem with all the reviews so far, is that they have all taken place on the BMW media day - everyone has had the same experience and is saying the same good words. Just look at the road section, fast, flowing and SMOOTH.

We need to wait until cars are released and our favourite motoring journos have been let loose with them on home soil. Until then, these reviews are only early indications, and whilst it doesn't happen too often, I have read a number of 'first drive' reviews that rated a car highly only to recieve a mediocre reception when they conduct the full blown road test. These are all first drive reviews.

Last edited by weyland; 03-28-2016 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2016, 05:12 AM   #8
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

" And right there, you have a car that’s separated itself from the M3 and M4. They are serious machines that demand skill and commitment. Under many conditions, I find I fall short. Their steering is more remote, their back ends prone to flicking sideways without due notice. They’re a challenge. The M2 is a game. It’s warm and tolerant, both of unpredictable roads and clumsy driving. "

Sounds about right to me.

IMO it's as good as any review out there at the moment by virtue that it hasn't been tested on home soil like has been already mentioned.
The only thing that seems at odds is the " laggy below 3000 rpm " statement.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 07:08 AM   #9
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

My N54 isn't laggy below 3000. Below 2000 probably.

Also one sentence that the car isn't really fast...

Anyway, this is my favourite part in the review:

Quote:
Under throttle, you’ve got that same determined traction that’s such an asset on the road. Lift a bit then get back on the power, and it’ll go into proper oversteer, either a quick dab if you’ve got the traction control in the Sport+ mode, or if it’s switched off, then here comes all the drift you could want, easily initiated, balanced and caught. If your aim is the carefree torching of tyres, no other car I can recall leads you by the hand like this one does.
Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2016, 08:58 AM   #10
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Nice... amazing how consistent the reviews (and positive) have been. It wasn't quite the same for the M3/4... more reviewers who had differing views (love or not so much).
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 2
      03-28-2016, 10:52 AM   #11
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
My N54 isn't laggy below 3000. Below 2000 probably.
Well, technically 2000 is below 3000, so your 1M is laggy below 3000 rpm .

Overall, a nice review. I think he was fishing for something critical to say (to maintain journalistic balance) and that is what he landed on.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #12
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
"an overboost function can run for 30 seconds straight"

What is this automotive journalist smoking? I wonder whose incompetence is to blame for this error, the journalist or BMW.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
caminator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: feet

Its really not laggy under 3k
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 03:28 PM   #14
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

I feel like M2 is getting overrated due to M3/M4's failure to hit the sweet spot?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminator
Its really not laggy under 3k
It depends on what gear you are in.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #16
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacMeal View Post
I feel like M2 is getting overrated due to M3/M4's failure to hit the sweet spot?
Or maybe it's just very good
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #17
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Awesome! Thank you for sharing!

`
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #18
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacMeal View Post
IMO, this is incorrect... see below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Or maybe it's just very good
This, IMO, is correct

Not sure how the conclusion could be drawn otherwise. If the M2 didn't hit expectation or the "sweet spot" then it would have been picked apart. If anything, I think the expectation was VERY high for the M2 given how much people like the M235i. If anything, the M2 expectation/anticipation level was so strong that there was a risk for BMW because if it fell short at all, it would have been a disappointment and blasted.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #19
weyland
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Just don't forget that this is a UK mag review, who have been a car to drive in near perfect conditions, with all the excitement of an expenses paid trip to Laguna sec! I read this review a few weeks ago in the magazine - it is a great review and I hope it is as well received when they do their proper review. EVO magazine love it as well so fingers crossed. Just seems a bit contrived to me right now, and not representative of their home market.

Looking forward to the proper review!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #20
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
"That uninterrupted power buys you quicker acceleration than the manual, and it needs less brain effort, so you can devote more to the other overwhelmingly busy tasks piled upon you by this remarkable circuit. "

^^Reason why my next car will be DCT
      03-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #21
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
IMO, this is incorrect... see below

This, IMO, is correct

Not sure how the conclusion could be drawn otherwise. If the M2 didn't hit expectation or the "sweet spot" then it would have been picked apart. If anything, I think the expectation was VERY high for the M2 given how much people like the M235i. If anything, the M2 expectation/anticipation level was so strong that there was a risk for BMW because if it fell short at all, it would have been a disappointment and blasted.
This is it here, the media has not been kind with the M3
      03-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #22
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacMeal
Based on how many m3/4 I see on the road I think they hit it...also for any complainers/naysayers there's an M2...seems like BMW has it covered, no?
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1