BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Active Sound Design (ASD) topics

01-31-2018, 12:31 PM   #397
JB330Ci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
Not sure if this has been answered or not in this thread but I just installed the harness on my MY18...
Lastly, ASD delete is a must do. I didn’t realize how intrusively loud it was until it was gone. I can also now hear the turbo. Whoever decided ASD was a good thing in the M2 is a complete moron and should be fired.
Have you ever tried to code it off with Bimmercode? Just wondering if you have what prompted you to do the harness bypass for MY18 LCI M2?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:45 PM   #398
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by importriders View Post
Not sure if this has been answered or not in this thread but I just installed the harness on my MY18 and I did not have a tray support as pictured below and in the tutorial. Does anyone have the support in their M2, any year, or does the M2 not have a support?

Also, another helpful note, the rear plastic panel has to come straight up or you’ll bend/break the plastic pins that keep it in place. Once you work rubber seal away from the top of the panel (no need to remove it as others have stated) you’ll want to pull straight up.

Lastly, ASD delete is a must do. I didn’t realize how intrusively loud it was until it was gone. I can also now hear the turbo. Whoever decided ASD was a good thing in the M2 is a complete moron and should be fired.
Question for you on this. Dont you remove the plastic rivet retaining pins before removing that plastic panel? And if so, how can removing the panel itself break the pins when you lift it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB330Ci View Post
Have you ever tried to code it off with Bimmercode? Just wondering if you have what prompted you to do the harness bypass for MY18 LCI M2?
I have both the bimmercode app as well as the required wifi hardware to implement the coding. I also have the PNP harness which i plan to install shortly as soon as the weather warms. I never actually used bimmercode to code although Ive paid for the right to do so. Which one to use is a very personal decision, but I can give you my personal rationale of why I plan to implement the harness instead of coding. While many folks have had no problems coding, this isnt the case with everybody.. There seems to be some question as to whether instantiating the backup effectively restores ASD if one wants to have it back. Some have had problems. Others have had issues that require dealer support in order to fix whatever went wrong with the coding.. At the very least coding leaves 'shaddow codes' in the ecu which, if a dealer were looking, could be found and used to void warranty support if any ecu or related issues should arise. Some dealers seem to be ok with coding, but mine definitely is not. Lastly Ill point to a post that, with its quoted links, underlines for me what are the main reasons I'm harnessing instead of coding:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=21

Last edited by boostm3; 01-31-2018 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #399
importriders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Question for you on this. Dont you remove the plastic rivet retaining pins before removing that plastic panel? And if so, how can removing the panel itself break the pins when you lift it out?
This is after you remove the 4 retaining clips. On the underside of the panel are two plastic pins that fit into metal holes, the pins are positioned vertically. If you try to wiggle the back panel in any direction but up you will be damaging those two pins. Not a big deal if you break those pins though as the 4 retaining clips and the rubber seal are more than enough to keep that panel in place. But we know how anal M2 owners are.

Someone previously mentioned wiggling the back panel free if you didn’t take the rubber seal off. This is what I did but unfortunately realized too late that all you had to do was pull up, in turn my two pins are a little bent out of shape but luckily still intact. The very last thing you want to do is pull the panel forward towards the front which would probably break the pins.

Last edited by importriders; 02-01-2018 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #400
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Does ASD operate even in comfort mode?

Hi all

I disabled ASD just now with bimmercode and only drove about half a mile.

In sport, it seems quieter than the car used to be even in comfort mode... Does the ASD do something even in comfort mode?

I think I'll probably be changing it back on as with stock exhaust its pretty quiet / boring now lol

Hopefully someone can confirm if on a stock car, ASD does something or not in comfort mode? Or only sport and sport+?

Hopefully the backup / restore in bimmercode works correctly as it should as I really don't think I'll like this mod lol

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 07:12 PM   #401
skiparock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 lbb manual

Installed the harness to remove asd, super easy. Makes car sound better imo with my fabspeed dp too. Can now hear the burbles and crackles
02 330xi (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 07:45 PM   #402
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
ASD is present in comfort mode as well, just not as loud as the sport or sport+ setting. I coded ASD off with bimmercode and never looked back, I do have the MPE though, love the natural sound. Should be able to restore it back with no problems, think all of the bugs people were reporting have been fixed a while back.
azibux142.00
      02-04-2018, 02:10 AM   #403
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M² View Post
ASD is present in comfort mode as well, just not as loud as the sport or sport+ setting. I coded ASD off with bimmercode and never looked back, I do have the MPE though, love the natural sound. Should be able to restore it back with no problems, think all of the bugs people were reporting have been fixed a while back.
That makes sense!

I had a longer drive today and I guess it isn't too bad with it turned off - shame you can't have a simple switch to turn it on and off lol

I imagine it would be quite nice off with the MPE!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #404
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Removed the ASD harness now that my car goes sale and the fake noise is back... It is horrendous. How could you live with this... I will remove it immediately on the M2 Competition.

MR
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 01:53 AM   #405
azibux1
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to report back, the restore process in Bimmercode worked flawlessly
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #406
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I received the Technic ASD harness in November, and on this 70 degree Feb. day, I figured it was time to install it.. Finally.. What a PLUS! Easy install. Dissembling the trunk took about 12 minutes. Once I figured which was the correct harness orientation, installation was a snap, and with a test drive of about 15 minutes, total time was under 45 minutes from beginning to end.. Didnt have much trouble with the rear plastic panel as its pretty easy to slip it out from its rubber gasket surround, and putting it back was no more difficult than gently lifting the gasket lip, an inch at a time, and letting it slip back over the panel. I found some Windex helped slip it along. One tip Id concur with Importriders on that I found real helpful is that, when removing the plastic panel, youve got to lift it vertically up rather than trying to pull it away from the rear; there are two plastic pins oriented in a vertically down direction on the panel back and you dont want to bend or break those if you can help it. I cant think of any gotchas.... Great Harness, and definitely worth doing.. The car STILL sounded loud to me when accelerating and decelerating. What was quieter was idle and cruising and I found I could listen to the radio at about half the volume I had been listening at. Perfect!!

Thanks to all that chimed in!

Last edited by boostm3; 02-21-2018 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
McGary911467.00
      02-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #407
bravosvo
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

So I installed the bypass harness in my '18 and I think there is some bass loss. Has anyone else experienced this after installing the new harness in an '18?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 10:33 AM   #408
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravosvo View Post
So I installed the bypass harness in my '18 and I think there is some bass loss. Has anyone else experienced this after installing the new harness in an '18?
I specifically checked for that as I know early users of the harness experienced it. However I forget the exact date, but while the early harnesses went by BMW's incorrect wiring diagrams , the error was subsequently fixed and ones received after that were perfect. My bass is as strong as it was prior to installation. I believe they were changed in early '17 or just before.
      03-01-2018, 06:04 AM   #409
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Can somebody would be so kind to help me buy this ASD bypass harness?
Unfortunately Technic Pnp doesn't ship to my country (Hungary, EU) so i couldn't make a checkout with Paypal on their site. If there is somebody who would buy the harness for me and resend it to me i would be very grateful. Of course i will pay the additional costs.

I used the recoding method former, but in that case there is an error message present in the system because of the incorrect coding configuration, so i would prefer the harness method.
Please send me a PM if you volunteer.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #410
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tano View Post
Can somebody would be so kind to help me buy this ASD bypass harness?
Unfortunately Technic Pnp doesn't ship to my country (Hungary, EU) so i couldn't make a checkout with Paypal on their site. If there is somebody who would buy the harness for me and resend it to me i would be very grateful. Of course i will pay the additional costs.

I used the recoding method former, but in that case there is an error message present in the system because of the incorrect coding configuration, so i would prefer the harness method.
Please send me a PM if you volunteer.
Thanks!
Elintézem ha kell még.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #411
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
Elintézem ha kell még.
Igen kell. Rendes tőled. Pm-ben megírom az adatokat.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #412
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

finally got around to coding this off...to be honest...I don't notice any difference.

Still drones like a mofo at 3K.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 03:11 AM   #413
18EM2
Public Last Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT LBB

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
On the website it now says this:

New harness design -no longer requires disassembly for installation. Full 100% PnP.

Anyone know what they mean? You still have to tear apart your trunk, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 04:48 AM   #414
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
I specifically checked for that as I know early users of the harness experienced it. However I forget the exact date, but while the early harnesses went by BMW's incorrect wiring diagrams , the error was subsequently fixed and ones received after that were perfect. My bass is as strong as it was prior to installation. I believe they were changed in early '17 or just before.
They changed to the correct harness late 2016...I had an earlier on, but I needed to change to wires and it was solved. Zero complaints about the harness.
      03-05-2018, 04:54 AM   #415
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

So with the ASD deleted I noticed some small "bump" suspension noise coming from the back of my M2 when going slowly over small bumps in the road. You can only hear it when going over small bumps at a slow speed and it's really not that loud (but annoys me when my radio is off). The sound comes from the back of the car. My dealer could hear the noise (we test-drove together in my car), but could not find anything wrong at first sight and they are trying to arrange another M2 to test against...to see if it is normal. But this test M2 will have ASD enabled of course and will also be MY18 instead of MY17 (me car). My M2 is full OEM suspension and OEM PSS tyres.
      03-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #416
NellyRod
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB --> LBB View Post
finally got around to coding this off...to be honest...I don't notice any difference.

Still drones like a mofo at 3K.
Do you have the OEM exhaust or the M Performance exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 11:27 PM   #417
18EM2
Public Last Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT LBB

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
They changed to the correct harness late 2016...I had an earlier on, but I needed to change to wires and it was solved. Zero complaints about the harness.
Thank you for explaining that.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 11:55 AM   #418
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
So with the ASD deleted I noticed some small "bump" suspension noise coming from the back of my M2 when going slowly over small bumps in the road.
Did you zip tie the harness to the car so it wouldn't rattle?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=884959
Appreciate 0