BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Finally it is M2 vs GP2...

12-30-2016, 05:04 AM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Finally it is M2 vs GP2...

Still winter time and not the best time for a comparison, but finally both are on their special plates with the GP2 arriving this month and the first mods being installed already.

266 hp and 322 Nm from the MINI's engine next to upgrades to the engine cooling, air intake, exterior and a short shifter inside. Next are some more technical upgrades to the engine, some small bit and bops and a complete design overhaul in March.

For now the GP2 is the winter car, the M2 comes out for once or twice a week. Next it will go into service to replace the top mounts which need replacing after 28K km.

Happy both are there, projects are still on going. GP2 far from done, M2 almost done with only an Alcantara steering wheel and carbon shift lever on the wishlist. Good combo

MR
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

M2 should be nice too in the snow
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      12-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
Should be able to get 350nm from the GP. I highly recommend the powerflex black engine bush, it all but eliminated the torque steer. If you don't mind more road noise the black series front lower control arm rear bushes will bring the steering alive.

I also recommend the Akrapovic sport cat, Wagner FMIC, ITG panel filter, iridium spark plugs and a manic mini stage 2 remap.

The stock ecu map is a little late coming on power for my taste. I have all the above on my GP and the difference from stock is night and day

I love my GP and will keep her for a long long time. I cannot say the same for my M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 05:07 AM   #4
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
Should be able to get 350nm from the GP. I highly recommend the powerflex black engine bush, it all but eliminated the torque steer. If you don't mind more road noise the black series front lower control arm rear bushes will bring the steering alive.

I also recommend the Akrapovic sport cat, Wagner FMIC, ITG panel filter, iridium spark plugs and a manic mini stage 2 remap.

The stock ecu map is a little late coming on power for my taste. I have all the above on my GP and the difference from stock is night and day

I love my GP and will keep her for a long long time. I cannot say the same for my M2.
322 Nm is fine, I do not need more. The power is sufficient with this stage 2 map. It is the best you can get from the car, and then it still depends per car what the results are.

We decided not to go for Powerflex, but Whiteline instead. The front lower control arm rear bushing is replaced creating more caster and a better turn-in. At the back we fitted an Eibach pro kit stabi.

Next to that, the MINI got a AEM cold air intake and strut brace, Forge intercooler, Forge cooling hoses kit, NGK iridium spark plugs, tow hook and Akrapovic titanium exhaust. On the inside, it has a CAE short shifter.

I also fitted carbon fiber mirror caps, rear trunk lid in carbon and the carbon engine cover and carbon fiber door handles are on their way. Other incoming things are an Alcantara/leather steering wheel, LEAP intake scoop, and Cravenspeed mobile phone mount.

On the design front, the car will get a complete redesign in a few months. For now I am still working on the design. Other things I am looking into for later in the year are a Bilstein B16 kit, MINI Challenge Wing, Oil catch can and if we go completely mental maybe a Wavetrac diff and Wiechers roll cage (Clubsport or full).

MR

Last edited by MR.; 12-31-2016 at 05:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 05:15 AM   #5
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
M2 should be nice too in the snow
No winter tires, and I already did too many miles on it this year. Not good for the residual value when I have to trade it in for a M2 CS at the end of next year.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
322 Nm is fine, I do not need more. The power is sufficient with this stage 2 map. It is the best you can get from the car, and then it still depends per car what the results are.

We decided not to go for Powerflex, but Whiteline instead. The front lower control arm rear bushing is replaced creating more caster and a better turn-in. At the back we fitted an Eibach pro kit stabi.

Next to that, the MINI got a AEM cold air intake and strut brace, Forge intercooler, Forge cooling hoses kit, NGK iridium spark plugs, tow hook and Akrapovic titanium exhaust. On the inside, it has a CAE short shifter.

I also fitted carbon fiber mirror caps, rear trunk lid in carbon and the carbon engine cover and carbon fiber door handles are on their way. Other incoming things are an Alcantara/leather steering wheel, LEAP intake scoop, and Cravenspeed mobile phone mount.

On the design front, the car will get a complete redesign in a few months. For now I am still working on the design. Other things I am looking into for later in the year are a Bilstein B16 kit, MINI Challenge Wing, Oil catch can and if we go completely mental maybe a Wavetrac diff and Wiechers roll cage (Clubsport or full).

MR
I respectfully disagree, after 100's of hours with both the FJCW and GP2 on the dyno I can categorically say that with the correct choice of parts 300HP and 350NM is possible. But it's your car so as long as your happy with it that's all that matters!

If you're going down the Challenge route have a look at the Challenge exhaust with your Arka down pipe - It's bloody load!! I had one on mine for a while but it was too load for some of the tracks I race at:

If you're thinking of a roll cage take a look at Andrew Robinson's Targa GP form 2014: https://targa.com.au/tc/news_details.asp?asset_id=21545 He crashed the first one in 2013: https://targa.com.au/tc/news_details.asp?asset_id=19009

Rear Diff are worth every penny! DO IT! The e-diff in the GP (GP Mode) is an improvement over the FJCW but nothing beats a real one In fact it's top of my list of things to replace on the M2, just need some track time & plenty of research before jumping in.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Great looking cars but please tell me that front plate is just a photoshop joke.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Great looking cars but please tell me that front plate is just a photoshop joke.
Nope, both are completely real

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #9
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
I respectfully disagree, after 100's of hours with both the FJCW and GP2 on the dyno I can categorically say that with the correct choice of parts 300HP and 350NM is possible. But it's your car so as long as your happy with it that's all that matters!

If you're going down the Challenge route have a look at the Challenge exhaust with your Arka down pipe - It's bloody load!! I had one on mine for a while but it was too load for some of the tracks I race at:

If you're thinking of a roll cage take a look at Andrew Robinson's Targa GP form 2014: https://targa.com.au/tc/news_details.asp?asset_id=21545 He crashed the first one in 2013: https://targa.com.au/tc/news_details.asp?asset_id=19009

Rear Diff are worth every penny! DO IT! The e-diff in the GP (GP Mode) is an improvement over the FJCW but nothing beats a real one In fact it's top of my list of things to replace on the M2, just need some track time & plenty of research before jumping in.
I know 430 hp is possible with that engine and the right parts, but let's not go on that route shall we.

I just got a Akrapovic exhaust and will get the downpipe after the yearly check. I know about the Challenge exhaust, but I am worried about the drone and the sheer amount of noise. It might be a bit too much on long distances.

Diffs are not cheap, but we will see. First finish the first steps and then onwards to more. For now I am happy with what it is and what is on my mind.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
chrismac
Addiction
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 M Sport Plus Edition

I also have a GP2, M2 and Golf R! Good taste.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
playitfunky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac View Post
I also have a GP2, M2 and Golf R! Good taste.
Extra point for effort on the plates!
      01-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #12
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Diffs are not cheap.

MR