BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BIMMERPOST BMW M2 In Depth Review from Laguna Seca

02-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #67
seanq
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '13 e92 M3 ZCP

Trade e90 for m2?!

Awesome, thnx for the review! Sam would you trade your e90 for the M2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost View Post
[center]BIMMERPOST BMW M2 VIDEO REVIEW
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #68
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Mine arrives in three days or so...

MR
Congrats! You lucky SOB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Bummer that according to this review, auto-blip can't be disabled without turning off all the nannies -- and can auto-blip be kept on in that situation if desired, or is it forced off? The M3/4 linking this setting to the throttle map I can SORT OF see (but not really), but linking auto-blip to stability control is bizarre to me. Are they worried about a downshift that was poorly rev-matched manually upsetting the car to the point that stability control wouldn't be able to correct? I like the auto-blip feature on the track, but I still enjoy doing it myself on the road.

I'll also be curious to hear the exhaust in person. The 981 Cayman with Sport Exhaust took the burbles on overrun sort of comically far, and they actually toned it down on the GT4 to something that I personally consider more sane and natural-sounding. Interesting to see where the M2 falls.
I'm with you 100% on the contrived sounding exhaust on the Cayman PSE. It's a little much. The GT4 dials it back and sounds way more natural. The M2's sound is perfect.

Quote:
Well for twice the money, one would hope the GT4 would be the better car. I can sort of see how they'd be cross-shopped in the sense that both seem to have similar basic design philosophies, but the GT4 is allowed to execute much more fully on that thanks to being allowed to cost a lot more (and not having to focus on road-going manners quite as much), and of course the inherent difference in drivetrain and chassis. I do wish the GT4 had an e-diff like the M2 though, or the 991 GT3 for that matter; instead it's got Porsche's standard LSD used in other 991 and 981 models and even earlier GT3s, which apparently doesn't stand up to track duty very long. At least Guard is around offering viable alternatives if needed.
You are right about the Porsche LSDs being a weak point. I don't think they are necessarily cross shopped because of price, but I see that both are purist driving experiences designed by engineers who were let loose to build something they really want for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSportTune2 View Post
Took another look at the video and on those with full frontal view out of the driver seat, I cannot see any HUD projected. Wouldn't it be seen on the videos if HUD was indeed available?.

Just a thought! No trying to spoil a great effort by Sam and Jason.

Sam, can feel your andrenaline going wild just watching the video and hearing your commentary!

Sigh! It will be too expensive to own it here at estimated SGD320K (USD228K) on base model! I guess I have to wait to try one when BMW Incheon Driving Center starts having it on their fleet. Got to timed it with a vacation though.
Thanks! I'm glad you noticed. Part of the reason for the much longer than usual review is that I want you to experience the car the way I did. Glad you could relate to my adrenaline and emotions while driving this little beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Thanks for the review.What a great gig,to be able to test the new M2 at an awesome track.I appreciate your enthusiasm for the M brand and I was happy to hear that you felt the car was more raw and less polished in the handling department than the M3 and M4.Thanks for also confirming that the M2 has a very firm M suspension,where you get a true feel of the road.There is no need for adaptive suspension on an M car IMO.
Agreed! Standard suspension all the way for feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvdh View Post
Nice job. Now, one practical question: Does the rear seat fold down? It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it'd be nice if it did.
Sorry! Didn't think to test this one, but I'm curious too.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #69
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanq View Post
Awesome, thnx for the review! Sam would you trade your e90 for the M2?
Good question. I no longer have the E90 M3, but I would take the M2 over an E90/92 M3. Without a doubt.

If you offered me a flawless E46 M3 and then the M2 and asked me to choose, that would be a harder question. In the end, the M2 is new and has warranty so I will most likely still take the M2.

This is saying something, because the E46 M3 is one of my favorite BMWs of all time.
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #70
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

What a review! Had a smile on my face as you were going around LS. I can't wait! I completely agree with your statement on the 6 speed manual. I ordered 3 pedals and am so glad I did.

Did you happen to have the executive package option in either M2's? Wondering if you messed with any of those options.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:31 PM   #71
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

....and whatever allocations were left at dealerships across the nation were officially spoken for.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #72
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

There is no HUD.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #73
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

This was amazing. The emotion you displayed, the character, the dynamic nature of everything, and the honesty. This is what brought me back to the forums after all this time. We are literally owning history with this car.

Things will never be the same. I'm very happy with this.

Appreciate 4
      02-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #74
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Group hug
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:33 PM   #75
MWM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Great job Sam on the review.

I haven't warmed up to the looks but, in my universe, function over form. If the drive is that much more intimate than M4 then it's a very easy decision.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #76
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Alright fess up, who TF was this. Clearly, a 599 owner.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #77
kinimod
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 GT3

Thanks for the review.

I wonder, is the 2nd gear more usable than in the M3/M4? Can you exit a corner in 2nd at WOT with reasonable traction? (M3/M4 had practically none, combined with the turbo lag and wild torque it was hardly usable on public roads).

Last edited by kinimod; 02-16-2016 at 06:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #78
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbiage View Post
This was amazing. The emotion you displayed, the character, the dynamic nature of everything, and the honesty. This is what brought me back to the forums after all this time. We are literally owning history with this car.

Things will never be the same. I'm very happy with this.
I second your thoughts here, steeling your opinion and tag too
      02-16-2016, 06:39 PM   #79
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Good question. I no longer have the E90 M3, but I would take the M2 over an E90/92 M3. Without a doubt.

If you offered me a flawless E46 M3 and then the M2 and asked me to choose, that would be a harder question. In the end, the M2 is new and has warranty so I will most likely still take the M2.

This is saying something, because the E46 M3 is one of my favorite BMWs of all time.
I agree,that is why I have ordered the M2 but I am not going to sell my 2005 E46 M3.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:41 PM   #80
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PILOT View Post
I second your thoughts here, steeling your opinion and tag too

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #81
Donolotti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Previous car: 2018 ZCP M4

The only reason i sold my M235i was for the M2 and that took alot for me to part with that car! Really can't wait to get one! I knew it would be a great drivers car!
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #82
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Paging W///

So, until you sign a check, will you be tossing and turning in your sleep now?
Actually, surprisingly not haha. The reviews are kind of just confirming everything I thought the M2 would be, which is a great thing. But watching this review kind of just reminds me that I already have a "driver's car" in the E36 M3 in my possession. You want balance, fun and nimbleness? That car delivers.

So it looks like I'll end up having to somehow try to test drive one myself. Like I've said multiple times, if I'm buying or have only 1 new BMW to purchase, the M2 would be it. But right now, the F80 makes more sense to me. She's calling my name

In regards to Sam's final thoughts, I'm not sure I agree. I don't feel like the M3/4 has been sanitized at all. I feel like it's the complete opposite. The torque almost overwhelms the car and I find it to be a pretty unruly beast if you don't treat it with respect. Granted, I've only driven the M235i (one with optional LSD even), and I felt like that was a much more friendly car, but in a good way. Compared to my FBO E92 M3, the F80 was far less sanitary in everyway haha, whereas the 2ers were much more familiar to me.

Either way, I congratulate everyone that has the M2 on order. You guys have done very well!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 3
      02-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #83
///MIKE M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
I agree,that is why I have ordered the M2 but I am not going to sell my 2005 E46 M3.
Totally in love with the F87, but I need to let my E46 go to get one.

Just when I was convinced on the M2, we have to talk about E46s again haha
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #84
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
In regards to Sam's final thoughts, I'm not sure I agree. I don't feel like the M3/4 has been sanitized at all. I feel like it's the complete opposite. The torque almost overwhelms the car and I find it to be a pretty unruly beast if you don't treat it with respect. Granted, I've only driven the M235i (one with optional LSD even), and I felt like that was a much more friendly car, but in a good way. Compared to my FBO E92 M3, the F80 was far less sanitary in everyway haha, whereas the 2ers were much more familiar to me.

Either way, I congratulate everyone that has the M2 on order. You guys have done very well!
I'm sure Sam can put words in his own mouth, so I won't try to do it for him, but I interpreted his comment about the M3/4 being "sanitized" to mean causing the driver to feel more disconnected from the car and the road due to suspension tuning, steering feel, overall handling, emotional engagement/theater, etc, and having driven the M4 myself I do consider it more sanitized than the E9x I had at the time -- and so does the owner, who is actually toying with the idea of getting an M2 or Boxster Spyder instead. It was still fun and undoubtedly faster than the E9x, but I didn't see the value in upgrading to it from the E9x I had given what it would cost. The M5/6 have even more trouble putting their power down, but I would nonetheless argue that they're even more sanitized than the M3/4, because they're designed to be. I don't think one has any real relationship to the other.

I agree though that if I had to buy a new BMW today, it would be an M2 by the sounds of it.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #85
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Great review - Thanks Sam !
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #86
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
If you haven't ordered one already, do it now. I'm already looking for ways to get this car into my own garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Enjoy!!
The review: now.

The car: this Spring.

Name:  M2_Matchbox.jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  49.8 KB
      02-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #87
mc21
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT4

Thumbs up

Excellent review Sam. I look at car reviews on youtube daily and your reviews are definitely one of the best; I love your cinematography.

This is a 5 star review for me, good job.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #88
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I'm sure Sam can put words in his own mouth, so I won't try to do it for him, but I interpreted his comment about the M3/4 being "sanitized" to mean causing the driver to feel more disconnected from the car and the road due to suspension tuning, steering feel, overall handling, emotional engagement/theater, etc, and having driven the M4 myself I do consider it more sanitized than the E9x I had at the time -- and so does the owner, who is actually toying with the idea of getting an M2 or Boxster Spyder instead. It was still fun and undoubtedly faster than the E9x, but I didn't see the value in upgrading to it from the E9x I had given what it would cost. The M5/6 have even more trouble putting their power down, but I would nonetheless argue that they're even more sanitized than the M3/4, because they're designed to be. I don't think one has any real relationship to the other.
Ah, gotcha. I took "sanitized" as luxo-barge, if that makes sense. I just interpreted wrong. In that case, then I definitely do agree with you and Sam. The stiffer ride and instant torque that pulverizes tires made it feel way more muscle car than typical M.

Like I said, I've only driven the M235i, but that felt much more like a friend that you can't ask too much from than the M3/4. I would expect the same from the M2, which is a really great thing.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0