BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > OG M2 - Advice on interface options

03-09-2023, 01:35 AM   #1
BadgerDog
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.87]
OG M2 - Advice on interface options

Hey all. I have a new to me 2017 M2 in LBB that I recently got. LOVING the car so far. I had a '16 Z4 35i before this so I'm not completely new to BMW coding. However, thats an E to F jump so things are a little different.

I have BimmerCode for basic things and have already gone through some of that stuff. However, I'm interested in doing more, and the breadth of available tools both HW and SW is a bit daunting. As usual the information is all out there, but there seems to be no centralized collection that makes it easy to get into and understand.

So my goals:
  1. Update vehicle software (I've confirmed it still has original manufacture i-step).
  2. Advanced coding (things like M4 GTS steering, etc).
  3. Diagnostic tool down the road if things go wrong.

I am not particularly interested in any tuning at this time. Car is already damn near perfect for me stock.

So I know the K/DCAN cables are useless (except for my wife's mini). I already have a couple of ENET cables and those have worked fine for BimmerCode. I'm trying to figure out if going with an iCom Next would be beneficial to me, and which of the various software tools I really need.

E-Sys seems to be the one stop shop for coding. I think it can also flash i-step firmware, though I've heard its more difficult to do with that tool than some of the others? Not sure which of the several others (ISTA-D/P, INPA, etc) I would really find useful.

I'm almost considering something along the lines of this:
https://www.obdii365.com/wholesale/w...tware-hdd.html
Bit pricey, but it would almost be worth it just to have all the files and software ready to go out of the box so I dont have to screw around with "where do I find the latest, how do I get it installed" etc.

Any thoughts would be helpful. I've searched the forums a bit, but in the F87 section I only find one reference to icom, so info seems a bit sparse for these cars.
Appreciate 0