BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Things you wish you knew before you bought your M2

12-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #45
Tralfaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Long Beach Blue M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Do go to the BMW Performance Center and do 1-day M School (with BMWCCA discount) to learn how to drive the car prior to adding modifications - the stock car is very, very capable
Also, wait to sign up for it until you get the offer in the mail to sign up for the 1 day driver school. That way you can apply the $849 value of that to the M school. Between that and the CCA discount, the cost of the school is very reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #46
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Become a member of the BMW CCA if you are not already. After one year of membership you qualify for a $500 rebate on the M2. That will help pay for the paint should you decide to upgrade from primer white
Do you have info on the mechanics of this? Is it a form or on the web? Thanks!
      12-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #47
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrom3 View Post
Do you have info on the mechanics of this? Is it a form or on the web? Thanks!
https://www.bmwcca.org/vehicle_rebate
Appreciate 2
doug_9992541.50
      12-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #48
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HODLM View Post
Would you suggest PPF on just the rocker panels if I don't plan to do any otherwise? I'm debating between the windshield forward or nothing at all.

Thanks!
I PPF'd the front bumper, the hood, headlights and mirrors for $1250. A year later and my car still looks like it left the factory. Very happy with that investment, it really gives me peace of mind. I would suggest at least doing those areas. Haven't had any problems with the rocker panels or fenders. If you decide not to do PPF at least coat the car in Modesta, or something similar.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #49
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Would you suggest PPF on just the rocker panels if I don't plan to do any otherwise? I'm debating between the windshield forward or nothing at all.

Thanks!
Doing rockers is very inexpensive and worth it. Just doing them only would be okay, but I suggest doing the front bumper cover and headlamps also. The dilemma becomes where do you stop? I decided not to do the hood and front fenders which I believe should be done together in full if you proceed further.
Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      12-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #50
rocke29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 M/T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///cbrash View Post
Something I didnt realize about BMW altogether is how well they are at making you buy all the "extras". Bmw makes their cars so modifiable inside and outside that you justify tunes, intercoolers, black grills and spoilers. Things I have never done on my other high end vehicles. I am not mad, I actually really enjoy the process but interesting nevertheless.
I can't wait to get my 2018 LBB M2 so I can add some tasteful mods. The black grill decision alone has me doing research daily.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 07:08 PM   #51
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
What you need is a widget providing access to the car, the coding software (ESYS or Bimmercode mentioned - you can search for either, there must be all the requirements listed) and you can use any laptop the software runs on, equipped with the widget's hardware interface (if it's cable you'll need the cable too) to connect "physically".

Here's a fine Bimmercode explanation: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...3#post22238143 . ESYS is just the same, less easy to use, perhaps (notice the longer and less "obvious" path to the option to tick).
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
http://www.bmwesys.com/guides/Beginn...e%20Coding.pdf

if that's too advanced or complicated you can always just download the bimmercode app for your smartphone

http://www.bimmercodeapp.com/
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #52
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:

Thanks!
I would suggest atleast half hood and front bumper. did the trick for me! looks day one as suggested by the quote below

Quote:
I PPF'd the front bumper, the hood, headlights and mirrors for $1250. A year later and my car still looks like it left the factory. Very happy with that investment, it really gives me peace of mind. I would suggest at least doing those areas. Haven't had any problems with the rocker panels or fenders. If you decide not to do PPF at least coat the car in Modesta, or something similar.
and really? My paint is beat/chipped down to the primer , albeit in a very small area....that faces the front tire on the rocker panels , both sides. Hence my original wish to have PFF'd the side skirts.

perhaps ill take a pic today and share with you guys for reference.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #53
HODLM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2/AW/6MT; '16 X5 Hybrid

Quote:
Quote:
and really? My paint is beat/chipped down to the primer , albeit in a very small area....that faces the front tire on the rocker panels , both sides. Hence my original wish to have PFF'd the side skirts.

Please do provide some pics! Thanks.
Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      12-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #54
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian ///M View Post
I would suggest atleast half hood and front bumper. did the trick for me! looks day one as suggested by the quote below

Oh yea, my side skirts are shredded.
Appreciate 1
Ian ///M491.00
      12-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #55
eddie_yvp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (MG)

Not to make this a PPF thread, but anybody wish they did PPF on full rear quarter panels or rear bumper (or even the doors)? Seems like area around rear wheels are vulnerable, and I guess only way to avoid a visible seam is to do those entire sections. But seems like overkill.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #56
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

I did full bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, headlights, a-pillars, beginning of roof, side skirts (rocker panels), extended rear fender zone (replacing OEM film) and rear bumper area below trunk. I can provide pics for those interested.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #57
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_yvp View Post
Not to make this a PPF thread, but anybody wish they did PPF on full rear quarter panels or rear bumper (or even the doors)? Seems like area around rear wheels are vulnerable, and I guess only way to avoid a visible seam is to do those entire sections. But seems like overkill.
Yes I wish I did the full bumper and doors. At the time though I didn't want to write a bigger check. I was thinking today if I had done that, might as well just do roof and everything else I skipped as well.

I am considering having the doors and bumper done. I want to wait and see what the M2 Comp brings before I throw more money at the M2 that I can't recoup if sold.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #58
eddie_yvp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1monQc View Post
I did full bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, headlights, a-pillars, beginning of roof, side skirts (rocker panels), extended rear fender zone (replacing OEM film) and rear bumper area below trunk. I can provide pics for those interested.
I’m interested - specifically the a pillars / roof and extended rear fender zone where there may be visible seams. Thanks!

Last edited by eddie_yvp; 12-06-2017 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
S1monQc223.50
      12-06-2017, 12:11 AM   #59
eddie_yvp
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Yes I wish I did the full bumper and doors. At the time though I didn't want to write a bigger check. I was thinking today if I had done that, might as well just do roof and everything else I skipped as well.

I am considering having the doors and bumper done. I want to wait and see what the M2 Comp brings before I throw more money at the M2 that I can't recoup if sold.
Curious - do you have any damage in those areas you are considering or just looking for added peace of mind?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 02:55 AM   #60
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie_yvp View Post
Curious - do you have any damage in those areas you are considering or just looking for added peace of mind?
Mostly just added piece of mind, but I did get a hit on my passenger door from a rock. Figure if someone taps my rear bumper or opens their door into my car it might protect it. It also makes it easier to wash I think. If a section with PPF has some gross dirt on it I don't mind spraying a bit of ONR on it and just wiping it off with a micro fiber towel, but if there is some dirt on non PPF part of car I just leave it until I can do a proper wash.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #61
shsolus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F87 LBB MT / 21 G01 x30i

Skip Apple Car Play... Other than that I am pretty happy
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #62
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Oh yea, my side skirts are shredded.

Best pic I could take this AM before work, my right side is even worse but I would have to pull out of the garage to take the pic since it’s near the wall. Both sides near the bottom are stripped down to a yellowish primer, and abrasive enough to pull fibers from a microfiber cloth when I wipe the area during a wash.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 10:19 AM   #63
mssVT98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.67]
I ended up deciding just to wrap the full car (I don't have a garage, so at best the car is covered and I wanted the extra protection when it's not), but prior to that I knew for sure I was going to do all of the standard front pieces plus rockers and a larger quarter panel section. Even in the few months between delivery and getting it wrapped I got a bunch of small chips on the quarter outside of the factory PPF. It's not nearly large enough.

The good thing is that even if you don't do the full quarter (which would be tough without doing the whole car - you'd have a big edge somewhere on the C pillar), a larger piece there is actually less visible than stock because your xpel or suntek or whatever is going to be better film than the factory stuff. I've seen this on another car - he had the piece start closer to the driver's door and basically curve right up to the top of the wheel well - and it was pretty hard to see, and much better coverage.

And I'm with akkando on the ease of cleaning. I don't feel like I have to be quite as careful since I'm only touching PPF. Nice to have that piece of mind.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #64
eddie_yvp
Enlisted Member
Rep

^ Great info - I'm meeting with my installer tonight and will discuss options with him. In addition to full front and rockers which I'm definitely planning to do, maybe I'll do the replacement of the factory piece in front of the rear tires and then a small strip on the lower rear bumper behind the wheels and call it a day. I was concerned about how that would look but if it is less visible than the factory piece now, I can live with that.

Other option I am considering is going ahead and doing doors, full rear quarter panels (which I believe includes C pillars), and full rear bumper (which basically only leaves the roof and the trunk unwrapped). But maybe worth it as I have small children running in and out of our garage with bikes and such so it might be worth the added peace of mind for that alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 01:08 PM   #65
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssVT98 View Post
I ended up deciding just to wrap the full car (I don't have a garage, so at best the car is covered and I wanted the extra protection when it's not), but prior to that I knew for sure I was going to do all of the standard front pieces plus rockers and a larger quarter panel section. Even in the few months between delivery and getting it wrapped I got a bunch of small chips on the quarter outside of the factory PPF. It's not nearly large enough.

The good thing is that even if you don't do the full quarter (which would be tough without doing the whole car - you'd have a big edge somewhere on the C pillar), a larger piece there is actually less visible than stock because your xpel or suntek or whatever is going to be better film than the factory stuff. I've seen this on another car - he had the piece start closer to the driver's door and basically curve right up to the top of the wheel well - and it was pretty hard to see, and much better coverage.

And I'm with akkando on the ease of cleaning. I don't feel like I have to be quite as careful since I'm only touching PPF. Nice to have that piece of mind.
I had the factory PPF pulled off and did a larger piece on the rear quarter. They did it a really good job where they placed it because the lines of the car hide it from most angles.

From some angles you can see the line, but you could see the factory PPF as well, and this sharp top angle of the car hides the top of the PPF well from most angles. Since you're doing the whole car obviously you won't have this line but maybe it's useful to someone else.

I got a HUGE rock hit on the passenger side a couple weeks ago that would have surely left a huge scratch. It did however rip the Xpel a bit, which sucks because it's visible and I can't really do anything to repair it.
Appreciate 2
mssVT98141.50
      12-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #66
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shsolus View Post
Skip Apple Car Play... Other than that I am pretty happy
No way. Carplay is one of my favorite things in the car. I was on a 7plus, now an X and never had had issues at all. I believe the older slower phone processors are the issue with Carplay, as it is just a display of the phone UI from the phone and not really car side.
Appreciate 0