BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > After break-in period, feeling a bit disappointed

10-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #45
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
So apparently it's total bullshit. These posts a read a littered with people saying their SA, CA, mechanic tech, Performance Center instructor, etc told them there is a bump after the break in service.
Maybe the people who are saying there's a bump are equating this to the area of the tach from 5,500 to the redline. Certainly there's 50 horsepower there.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #46
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
I reached 1200+ miles yesterday and today I decided to go 100% throttle for the first time since owning my MT 2018 M2. I honestly expected the rear wheels to spin with the traction control off in first and/or second gear (I have the Conti's), but was disappointed on a dry, sunny, 70 degree day. Anyone care to share their experience with the first time(s) you went 100% throttle? Is my disappointing experience unique?
I had the exact same impression. It was fast and smooth but nothing to write home about. For $1500 I completely transformed the car into exactly what I wanted it to sound and perform like. It puts a smile on my face every item I drive it now. It also scares me just a little bit from time to time. Perfection.

Here's my recipe and what I'd recommend to you:

1) Fabspeed Catted DP
2) Dinan Sport Tuner on Sport+ mode
3) Set M2 comfort/sport/sport+ button to sport+ mode
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      10-19-2017, 02:40 PM   #47
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Do you feel like you made the wrong decision buying the M2? "Serious question"
      10-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #48
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
The OP can answer for himself but since I had the exact same impression as him, I'll give you my thoughts. Yes. Yes that thought did cross my mind. I was concerned I should have hung onto my 370Z a little longer or maybe cross shopped the M4. After the couple of simple modes that dramatically increased power and uncorked the raw, wonderful, sound of that engine that thought has 100% evaporated.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #49
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
+50 Hallucinogen Power.
I believe this is the same amount they are adding with the ISTEP updates.
      10-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #50
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Acceleration of the car disappointed me as well. just coming from all the rave reviews of the car from online and word of mouth sources. Still plenty fast, but it didn't give that push-you-in-your-seat feeling I was expecting.

I bought the car for its handling/balance, and with that, it is tops!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #51
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
Acceleration of the car disappointed me as well [...] didn't give that push-you-in-your-seat feeling I was expecting.
Put a sport cat on it. It'll reduce the turbo lag significantly and make it sound faster
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #52
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
The OP can answer for himself but since I had the exact same impression as him, I'll give you my thoughts. Yes. Yes that thought did cross my mind. I was concerned I should have hung onto my 370Z a little longer or maybe cross shopped the M4. After the couple of simple modes that dramatically increased power and uncorked the raw, wonderful, sound of that engine that thought has 100% evaporated.
Thanks for your input. I honestly don't know what to expect. I take delivery of MY18 in about 2 weeks. Never got a chance to test drive one like a lot of people. I'm coming from a G35 coupe which is even less power than your 370z. The M2 should definitely be an upgrade to my current car in all aspects. The fact that you get to test drive most car you purchase makes the M2 for me a mystery
      10-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #53
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Put a sport cat on it. It'll reduce the turbo lag significantly and make it sound faster
Will look into that! The stock acceleration is plenty fast for me though. My modding days are over (famous last words, I know haha).
Appreciate 2
      10-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #54
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I honestly don't know what to expect. I take delivery of MY18 in about 2 weeks. Never got a chance to test drive one like a lot of people. I'm coming from a G35 coupe which is even less power than your 370z. The M2 should definitely be an upgrade to my current car in all aspects. The fact that you get to test drive most car you purchase makes the M2 for me a mystery
My buddy has a G37 coupe. he test drove my M2 before the mods and was giggling like a little girl the whole time. I think you'll really enjoy it, even in stock form.

My second guessing the purchase as compared with keeping the Z was rooted in the Z being fully paid for. The performance of the M2, even in stock form, was noticeably better than the Z but was it $438/month better? Hmmm. That it what had me second guessing.

If someone had handed me a free 370Z and a free M2 and said "pick one" I'd go with the M2 any day of the week.
Appreciate 2
M2guru383.50
      10-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #55
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
There are more comments here than I expected. Thank you all for your thoughts and feedback!

Here is some additional information (if you care) regarding my perspective. I am not interested in spinning my wheels around town (and I know what popping the clutch does) - I just expected to have to manage the power while accelerating and was surprised to find out that I don't have to manage it in a straight line in its current form (just a Fabspeed cat is installed so far). I am assuming that I will have to manage the throttle around the corners (track or otherwise) because I can tell that the tires are close to giving way (this is all in Sport+ - i.e., no traction control) and I do get a flash of the traction control light on the dash very briefly once in a while indicating that the tires are close to giving away.

I have never had a RWD sports car, so never knew what it would take to spin the wheels - apparently it takes more than this M2 has. I have to manage the throttle in my AWD Eclipse or it will drift in a corner (in a straight line I just have to manage the steering wheel), but that's a lighter car and significantly more horsepower.

I appreciate those who have suggested that the power band is more linear - something that I don't have in the Eclipse - and that is likely impacting my disappointment in power. The kick in the pants when the turbo hits in the Eclipse is like nothing else I have been in and the M2 doesn't have that, but the area under the torque and hp curve is much more broad, so it's just different/new to me.

Regardless of all that, I am not disappointed in any other aspect of this car - it's incredible in all sorts of ways and am looking forward to hitting the track with it next season to learn more about what I love. (I installed Brembo brakes on my Eclipse and thought that there could be nothing better...I was wrong!). I also appreciate those who have suggested possible upgrades for improvements. I am looking into the Dinan stuff now.

Thanks again everyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #56
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
There are more comments here than I expected. Thank you all for your thoughts and feedback!

Here is some additional information (if you care) regarding my perspective. I am not interested in spinning my wheels around town (and I know what popping the clutch does) - I just expected to have to manage the power while accelerating and was surprised to find out that I don't have to manage it in a straight line in its current form (just a Fabspeed cat is installed so far). I am assuming that I will have to manage the throttle around the corners (track or otherwise) because I can tell that the tires are close to giving way (this is all in Sport+ - i.e., no traction control) and I do get a flash of the traction control light on the dash very briefly once in a while indicating that the tires are close to giving away.

I have never had a RWD sports car, so never knew what it would take to spin the wheels - apparently it takes more than this M2 has. I have to manage the throttle in my AWD Eclipse or it will drift in a corner (in a straight line I just have to manage the steering wheel), but that's a lighter car and significantly more horsepower.

I appreciate those who have suggested that the power band is more linear - something that I don't have in the Eclipse - and that is likely impacting my disappointment in power. The kick in the pants when the turbo hits in the Eclipse is like nothing else I have been in and the M2 doesn't have that, but the area under the torque and hp curve is much more broad, so it's just different/new to me.

Regardless of all that, I am not disappointed in any other aspect of this car - it's incredible in all sorts of ways and am looking forward to hitting the track with it next season to learn more about what I love. (I installed Brembo brakes on my Eclipse and thought that there could be nothing better...I was wrong!). I also appreciate those who have suggested possible upgrades for improvements. I am looking into the Dinan stuff now.

Thanks again everyone!
A bit of traction stability is on in Sport+

If you want everything off hold down the DSC button for about 5 seconds, then you''re on your own. Throttle response in this traction off mode is not as aggressive as Sport+, but all the nannies are off.
Appreciate 1
M2guru383.50
      10-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #57
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:

Thanks again everyone!
Ah, you've got the sport cat already. Brilliant. Just add that Dinan sport tuner and I think you'll be extremely pleased. it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the cat and a heck of a lot easier to install so the best part is you've already spent the big bucks and done the hard install. The next step is simple as can be and easily adds as much kick as the sport cat did.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 05:09 PM   #58
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Ah, you've got the sport cat already. Brilliant. Just add that Dinan sport tuner and I think you'll be extremely pleased. it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the cat and a heck of a lot easier to install so the best part is you've already spent the big bucks and done the hard install. The next step is simple as can be and easily adds as much kick as the sport cat did.
Thanks for this feedback. I am wondering how much I should be concerned about voiding the warranty with such a device...I suppose that's an individual decision for everyone how much to push that barrier. But it might make me feel better about the power level.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 05:23 PM   #59
DETRoadster
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this feedback. I am wondering how much I should be concerned about voiding the warranty with such a device...I suppose that's an individual decision for everyone how much to push that barrier. But it might make me feel better about the power level.
That's the beauty of the sport tuner. One ziptie, one connector, 5 minutes, and it's out of the vehicle. Sport tuner? What sport tuner?

Your Fabspeed cat on the other hand may cause you warranty issues if you have a particularly prickly dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #60
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
For me the engine only feels really at full potential now it's done just over 5k miles. It happily spins up the rears in the dry in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Just be more forceful with your inputs for action, but beware that the full wad of torque will come in pretty fast and even in MDM can get you sideways pretty fast, so catch!

I have the pitiful contis, FYI.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #61
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
That's the beauty of the sport tuner. One ziptie, one connector, 5 minutes, and it's out of the vehicle. Sport tuner? What sport tuner?

Your Fabspeed cat on the other hand may cause you warranty issues if you have a particularly prickly dealer.
I feel like the only damage a dealer could convince me that the cat caused would be to the downstream O2 sensor. Anything after that it's utter non-sense...though I realize that decision is not up to me.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #62
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
For me the engine only feels really at full potential now it's done just over 5k miles. It happily spins up the rears in the dry in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Just be more forceful with your inputs for action, but beware that the full wad of torque will come in pretty fast and even in MDM can get you sideways pretty fast, so catch!

Good to know - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #63
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:

not for much longer...

PITIFUL? Seriously? Sorry for your first world problems of being butthurt by not getting the 5 year old design michelins.. but that's a serious exaggeration. COOPER TIRES.. or GENERAL RADIALS.. now those would be pitiful..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #64
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
not for much longer...

PITIFUL? Seriously? Sorry for your first world problems of being butthurt by not getting the 5 year old design michelins.. but that's a serious exaggeration. COOPER TIRES.. or GENERAL RADIALS.. now those would be pitiful..
I always had PSS on my E92 M3 and they are night and day to these contis. I care not one bit what you think of my opinion. Jog on.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 06:27 PM   #65
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
I always had PSS on my E92 M3 and they are night and day to these contis. I care not one bit what you think of my opinion. Jog on.

The E92 M3 is night and day to the M2.... but even still.. if you dislike them that much.. BE A MAN and sell the contis... There is no cheese coming to pair with your whine.

Michelin P4S in stock Yo! Happiness is just $1100 away.. or you could Spend MORE than the P4s and get your beloved PSS

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eFrom=selectOE

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 10-19-2017 at 06:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #66
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
Quote:
My buddy has a G37 coupe. he test drove my M2 before the mods and was giggling like a little girl the whole time. I think you'll really enjoy it, even in stock form.

My second guessing the purchase as compared with keeping the Z was rooted in the Z being fully paid for. The performance of the M2, even in stock form, was noticeably better than the Z but was it $438/month better? Hmmm. That it what had me second guessing.

If someone had handed me a free 370Z and a free M2 and said "pick one" I'd go with the M2 any day of the week.
For me, G35C to 370Z and now M2. Blaze, you'll definitely enjoy it as it's two solid notches up from the G35C and I liked my G35C!

DET, I posted something similar on the 370Z forum. The M2 is definitely the better faster car and for the price difference, it better be. However for the price point, the Z is still a great bang for the buck.

Back to OP, I can relate. Went 100% on a straight for 3 gears after break in with the M2, only glancing up and down at the tach. I finally looked at the speedo and said SH**, shifted to 4th and just coasted. The acceleration on the M2 is so linear for a turbo, plus the engine and drive train seemed so composed. It never felt like I was accelerating very fast, but fast enough it was
Appreciate 1