BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Track / SEMA build thread - CSF Racing, Essex AP Racing, MCS Suspension

02-12-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Track / SEMA build thread - CSF Racing, Essex AP Racing, MCS Suspension

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
BMW M2 SEMA Build Thread

I took delivery of my M2 almost one year ago, back in April of 2016. It was one of the first cars in the country, and I have enjoyed the heck out of it for 20,000 miles over the last 10 months. It has served me well on track and on street, but the time has come to make it more of a track-focused car.

Last year, I took the plunge and signed up for an event I have wanted to do for a long time - One Lap of America. We built a car that received a lot of attention: a Pure Turbo/JRZ/Stoptech/Wavetrac BMW X1 35i that ran a high 11 1/4 mile and could lap Mid-Ohio in the low 1:40s. Sadly, just two months before the event the car was totaled on the street.

After that car was wrecked and a nightmare of arguing with insurance over the value of parts (good luck proving the replacement value of a custom $5k aftermarket suspension), I purchased the M2 and swore off modding. That lasted about a week, which brings me to the goal of the current build. Simply put, I plan on building a car that can handle repeated track abuse while being economically reasonable to run, and will be displayed in my company's SEMA booth this year. I think the M2 is the perfect platform for this, and I am very excited to get started.

Table of Contents (will be updated with direct links to each future post)

1. Brakes (Essex AP Racing CP9668 endurance kit)
2. Tearing Down the Cooling system

Last edited by paradoxical3; 07-11-2017 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 5
Bosozoku693.50
Agent11br449.50
rwalker329.50
davem3fan185.50
      02-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #2
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Brakes: Stock Limitations and the Solution, Essex AP Racing CP9668

Disclaimer - I am a hardware and product design geek with a particular interest in brakes. When I'm at parties and people start playing "Would you rather," usually they ask about Scarlet Johansson vs. Mila Kunis. I counter with "DTM brakes vs. Indycar brakes?" People usually just stare blankly for some reason. Consider yourself warned!

I have occasionally been accused of being hard on brakes. With the old X1, I will admit I took some offense to this criticism - it was a 4000lb car with 430whp and undersized discs. How was it possible to not be hard on them? OEM brakes with upgraded pads and fluid were essentially pointless. But when even a Stoptech kit wore out and failed on track (non-catastrophically, just needed a premature rebuild) I realized that I probably was, unfortunately, "he who massacres brakes."

The M2's stock braking system is markedly better (obviously) than the X1's was. It consists of a four piston Brembo caliper up front, and a two-piston caliper in the back. The rotors are fairly massive; 380mm up front and 370mm in the rear. I initially began tracking the car with the combo that everyone recommends - the Pagid RS29 and Castrol SRF fluid. I found that this combo works fairly well at anything under 8/10ths, but once you really start to push the car they fade and fade fast.

There are a few issues with the stock braking system that led me to realize I was going to have to replace it (especially given my reputation for braking brutality).

1. Extremely limited pad selection. Performance Friction refuses to get their act together and make their better compounds like PFC08 and PFC01 for this caliper. Pagids were pretty much the only choice in town for top level performance, which leads me to my next point....

2. I realize I am in the minority here, but I am not thrilled with the RS29 performance or feel. I found them to have dangerous levels of fade during the latter half of an aggressive 30 minute session. The pedal feel is spongy once they overheat and it never returns. This is not an issue with air in the lines or boiled fluid - I run SRF and bled them many times. I feel like the composition of the pad itself changes behavior once it is heated past a certain point. There are reports over on Rennlist of similar issues.

3. Inefficient pad shape. Low overall mass, low surface area, very thin = high heat, high rate of wear, and high running costs.

4. Poor performing and unnecessarily heavy rotors. Drilled rotors will crack fairly quickly and 380 rotors are overkill size wise considering the low density of cooling vanes. These giant rotors are unfortunately little more than marketing gimmicks to get people to talk about the "big brakes" the M series cars have. I view them as unnecessary unsprung weight.

5. No anti-knockback springs. As cars accumulate track use and especially as wheel bearings start to go, knockback becomes a factor. While I try to remember to check my brakes before each high speed braking zone with a light left foot brush, I still like knowing that my pedal will respond exactly as expected each time with no surprises.

6. Dust boots that vaporize after 10 minutes on track, causing a mess and becoming useless on the street.

7. Color shift - these pretty blue calipers will become an ugly aquamarine green after taking on significant heat.

Destroyed Dust Boots of Stock Caliper

Difference in Cooling Vanes with the AP Racing J-hook Rotor vs. Stock M2 Rotor

These considerations led me to review the various options on the market from Brembo, Stoptech, and AP Racing. Fairly quickly one kit jumped out at me as being aimed at a different target demographic than the others. Stoptech and Brembo kits are beautiful for sure, but when I compared features that mattered to me the AP Racing kit provided by Essex Parts quickly skyrocketed up my "brake lust" list. Yes, I have a "brake lust" list.

The particular kit I chose was the Essex AP Racing CP9668 kit: https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...-f87m2f80m3f82

The reason I chose this kit is fairly simple - it's the only pre-assembled kit on the market that uses motorsport parts. Look up the CP9668 caliper on AP Racing's website and it's listed squarely under racing applications. In comparison, Stoptech or Brembo kits (even the Stoptech trophy) are based on street calipers and have street caliper features (heavier, aluminum pistons instead of steel, dust boots, etc). The AP Racing kit has the following benefits which are unique to this kit and platform:

1. Stiffest caliper available in a kit for the M2
2. Massive 25mm thick pads - about twice as thick as a stock M2 pad
3. Superior cooling design in the caliper with heat-resistant stainless steel pistons
4. Anti-knockback springs
5. Saves 8lbs of unsprung weight
6. Uses J-hook rotors with 84 cooling vanes - lighter and higher performing than stock
7. Anodized finish will not color shift
8. Support from Essex. I have had poor support from Stoptech in the past, whereas Jeff from Essex has actually answered emails from me within minutes on the weekend. That is priceless when you are on-track and something goes wrong.

One of These is Not Like the Other

I had the opportunity to visit the Performance Racing Industry show this year, so before purchasing I was able to put hands and eyes on this kit, the Brembo kits, and the Stoptech kits all in one day. When the kit was delivered to my house, I was just as impressed as when I first saw them. These calipers are an absolute work of industrial art, and I get an immense amount of satisfaction not just in their performance, but in knowing how well designed they are. Further than that, every single piece of hardware included is top notch. The bolts and washers are grade 10.9, the caliper bracket is machined perfectly, and the anodized finish is among the nicest I have ever seen. It just oozes professional quality.

How Big is Your....Caliper?

For pads, I opted to go with the Ferodo Racing DSUNO on the advice of Jeff from Essex. I have never used these before, but after explaining my preferences in a pad he felt they would be a good fit. These are 25mm thick so I am expecting to get quite a few events out of each set. Being so thick, they have the dual advantage of being cheaper per mm of wear than standard pads, but also a slower wear rate due to more thermal mass and less thermal transfer into the fluid.

Got Meat? 25mm Ferodo Racing DSUNO Front Pads

Enough words, time for some eye candy. Take particular note how my stock caliper dust boots are already burnt to a crisp, as well as the sheer size of these calipers! Also take note of the weights of the stock vs. AP Racing components.

Next update - the install process and tips and tricks learned during it.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 02-12-2017 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 13
Bosozoku693.50
zenmaster1574.50
Agent11br449.50
dtmurf477.00
rwalker329.50
davem3fan185.50
1M Tex240.00
AlexCirci496.50
bollinm25.00
ddk632583.00
      02-13-2017, 03:34 AM   #3
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

finally an interesting thread on this forum

zenmaster1574.50
1M Tex240.00
jonahk703.50
      02-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
finally an interesting thread on this forum

I was actually thinking of deleting all this and changing the title to, "Why doesn't the M2 have M mirrors?"
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I've always wanted to do one lap !

Will enjoy watching the build and will look for you if they head down this way to Tx this year.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

That's a lot of miles in 10 months. Have you posted your general impressions of the car at this point anywhere? I guess the fact you are engaged in this project says a lot about the competence of the M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #7
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Always wanted to do One Lap. Look forward to seeing your progress with the car
      02-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Will enjoy watching the build and will look for you if they head down this way to Tx this year.
Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be in Texas this year. Here is the current route:

This route is going to be challenging as we don't have a lot of experience at the given tracks. We have limited experience at Road Atlanta and Gingerman but that's it! Last year we were very confident of a top 10 finish as we had driven almost all of the tracks extensively, and had lots of comparative data points. This year will be more of an adventure, but that's part of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
That's a lot of miles in 10 months. Have you posted your general impressions of the car at this point anywhere? I guess the fact you are engaged in this project says a lot about the competence of the M2.
I did a track review here of an almost totally stock car: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1296871

I am really impressed by the chassis of the car. The most significant difference to me vs. the previous generation chassis is the direct bolted rear subframe and increased stiffness. The absence of subframe bushings is really noticeable to me - significantly less slop than even the old e9x chassis with upgraded bushings. It allows you to feel the diff working much better, and it basically convinced me that this was a platform that could really benefit from a project like this. I think the chassis is competent enough to keep rewarding further modifications, whereas with some cars you reach a point that it's just not worth pursuing past a certain point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@IND View Post
Thanks Ryan, I appreciate it! Wouldn't be surprised if I wound up hitting you guys up later on for some parts.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 02-14-2017 at 12:43 AM..
Appreciate 2
Destroya371.00
CrashFL136.50
      02-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #9
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #10
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Quote:

Unfortunately, it looks like we won't be in Texas this year. Here is the current route:

This route is going to be challenging as we don't have a lot of experience at the given tracks. We have limited experience at Road Atlanta and Gingerman but that's it! Last year we were very confident of a top 10 finish as we had driven almost all of the tracks extensively, and had lots of comparative data points. This year will be more of an adventure, but that's part of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroya View Post
I did a track review here of an almost totally stock car: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1296871

I am really impressed by the chassis of the car. The most significant difference to me vs. the previous generation chassis is the direct bolted rear subframe and increased stiffness. It is really noticeable to me the absence of subframe bushings - significantly less slop than even the old e9x chassis with upgraded bushings. It allows you to feel the diff working much better, and it basically convinced me that this was a platform that could really benefit from a project like this. I think the chassis is competent enough to keep rewarding further modifications, whereas with some cars you reach a point that it's just not worth pursuing past a certain point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan@IND View Post
Thanks Ryan, I appreciate it! Wouldn't be surprised if I wound up hitting you guys up later on for some parts.
It's a couple of years now that they haven't crossed the Mississippi.. oh well.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's a couple of years now that they haven't crossed the Mississippi.. oh well.
Yep, it is disappointing for sure. I'd rather go out west than make that long, straight, boring drive down to Florida. And the stints through Virginia really don't appeal to me from a speeding enforcement perspective. I would have loved to see COTA included this year.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
Ryan@IND
United_States
Rep
Drives: ACR

Quote:
Quote:
For sure
      02-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

Impressive details and very well documented!
There are some things that can be learned from here! 👍
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #14
bcjbmwm3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Looks like this will be a great build thread, looking forward to see whats next. More Power?
Keep it coming.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #15
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Subscribed...great brake write up
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:30 PM   #16
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjbmwm3 View Post
Looks like this will be a great build thread, looking forward to see whats next. More Power?
Keep it coming.
After living with the car through a track season, I would indeed like more power. However, it's not the #1 priority. This car benefits from brakes and suspension first, then weight reduction, and then power. The DCT transmission is a remarkable equalizer on track vs. higher horsepower manual cars, as is the general power curve of the N55. To give an idea of how quick it is, my friend has a 997 GTS with 408hp and I could reliably pull on him on every straight. Not by much, but noticeably.

I have a JB4 on the car and my lap times were not any different with it enabled or disabled due to several issues including cooling.

That is where a future (probably tomorrow or the day after) update will really shine some light. I am very excited to be working with CSF Racing to completely re-do the entire cooling system in the car including quite literally every cooler/radiator with the possible exception of the aux. radiator in the driver side fender well.

Here's all of the parts I sent off to CSF for them to start development on!

Last edited by paradoxical3; 02-13-2017 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 4
Bosozoku693.50
bcjbmwm3340.00
Agent11br449.50
      02-13-2017, 09:07 PM   #17
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Hi.

Are you changing anything else from the braking system such as the braking lines, fluids etc... ?
      02-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #18
SanT335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 Vert

Garage List
Awesome
      02-13-2017, 09:24 PM   #19
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Beautifully written and photographed. I, too, am a hardware fanatic. Thank you for the post.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #20
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Hi.

Are you changing anything else from the braking system such as the braking lines, fluids etc... ?
Hi,

I am changing the stock lines to Spiegler stainless steel lines provided as part of the Essex AP Racing kit. I am actually really impressed with the quality of the lines and fittings.

I also ordered the matching rear AP Racing kit, but it will not be delivered until April.

As for fluid, traditionally I run Castrol SRF due to its superior wet boiling point. I was not in love with the pedal feel though, and Jeff from Essex suggested I give the Ferodo fluid a shot. The wet boiling point isn't as high, but it is less compressible which should theoretically lead to better pedal feel. With the increased cooling capacity from the new brakes, that is a trade off I am willing to make.
Appreciate 2
Bosozoku693.50
Agent11br449.50
      02-13-2017, 10:58 PM   #21
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
Hi,

I am changing the stock lines to Spiegler stainless steel lines provided as part of the Essex AP Racing kit. I am actually really impressed with the quality of the lines and fittings.

I also ordered the matching rear AP Racing kit, but it will not be delivered until April.

As for fluid, traditionally I run Castrol SRF due to its superior wet boiling point. I was not in love with the pedal feel though, and Jeff from Essex suggested I give the Ferodo fluid a shot. The wet boiling point isn't as high, but it is less compressible which should theoretically lead to better pedal feel. With the increased cooling capacity from the new brakes, that is a trade off I am willing to make.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure the stainless steel lines and proper performance fluid will make a ton of difference on top of the much better hardware!
      02-13-2017, 11:46 PM   #22
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

Going stronger this time around. Wishing you all the best. We'll be cheering you on!