BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Top Gear Twin Test: M2 versus Audi TT RS

01-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #67
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigit View Post
TT-RS is an expensive mqb chassis car with haldex and a audibly interesting engine

People I know who have driven one just say its fast, which it undoubtedly is

Our two Mk7 Golf Rs bore me sh!tless compared to the M2, swift progress is easy but just does not make you feel it is that involved, start shoving more power at it and it shows the haldex flaws

I even prefer the M2 in the wet as it just gives you so much feedback

The haldex mqb are quite blunt tools and DCT is so much better than S ironic/DSG having lived with both

TTRS prices are excessive for what it is, I'd take the TTS which you can get deals on making them £15k cheaper.
I understand.

However, let me know how it feels to never be able to catch up to the TT RS, not sound as good and not look as good, for barely 10k more. Plus those interiors...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #68
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights View Post
I understand.

However, let me know how it feels to never be able to catch up to the TT RS, not sound as good and not look as good, for barely 10k more. Plus those interiors...
Putting aside your obvious, well-documented interior fetish, do we have actual track times to compare, so we can determine whether there would be any catching up to do at all, beyond the drag strip?

Didn't think so.

Have you heard and compared the two different sets of sounds the cars make?

Didn't think so.

Have you seen both cars in the iron?

Didn't think so.

There is nothing quite like people who haven't actually driven cars making definitive statements about them....

Last edited by BruceM; 01-19-2017 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8714.50
No Boost4021.00
      01-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #69
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Putting aside your obvious, well-documented interior fetish..
I just pissed myself.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 3
No Boost4021.00
Seagull287.50
mjsaville101.00
      01-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #70
Halvie
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3 / 2016 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigit View Post
TT-RS is an expensive mqb chassis car with haldex and a audibly interesting engine

People I know who have driven one just say its fast, which it undoubtedly is

Our two Mk7 Golf Rs bore me sh!tless compared to the M2, swift progress is easy but just does not make you feel it is that involved, start shoving more power at it and it shows the haldex flaws

I even prefer the M2 in the wet as it just gives you so much feedback

The haldex mqb are quite blunt tools and DCT is so much better than S ironic/DSG having lived with both

TTRS prices are excessive for what it is, I'd take the TTS which you can get deals on making them £15k cheaper.
How many manual N55 cars are in the 9's again? Audibly interesting. Right...

100% agree with the prices of the TTRS or any TT.

Seeing as you have have two R's, you do see the similarity in discussion of the TTRS here that we see when discussion the RS on a VW forum, right?

The R is boring. Hence pondering the 600whp turbo kit.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #71
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Putting aside your obvious, well-documented interior fetish, do we have actual track times to compare, so we can determine whether there would be any catching up to do at all, beyond the drag strip?

Didn't think so.

Have you heard and compared the two different sets of sounds the cars make?

Didn't think so.

Have you seen both cars in the iron?

Didn't think so.

There is nothing quite like people who haven't actually driven cars making definitive statements about them....
I'll put it into simpler terms so that you may understand.
1. Drag strip? You mean the ROAD, where you will be 99% at the time? Do the math. More power + AWD and then factor in less weight MEANS FASTER on the road 99% of the time. We don't live at the track. So yes, I DO KNOW if its faster, and in all practical terms, it is.

2. Yes, I have indeed heard both cars, search on YouTube dinan M2, it is a high quality recording of stock sound and then modded. Now search tt rs sound, and the first result will blow you away. EVERYONE SAYS IT SOUNDS BETTER, NOT ONE PERSON SAYS OTHERWISE. Did you know? The engineers added a 5th cilinder JUST for the exhaust notes/burbles/pops.

3. It is not an interior fetish, it is about NOT FEELING THE SAME as a 228i pretty simple, no?

4. I've test driven the M2, M235i myself.

All I have been talking about are facts, actual videos and actual photos. (Actual articles too).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2017, 11:46 PM   #72
BruceM
Major
Rep

Quote:
1. Drag strip? You mean the ROAD, where you will be 99% at the time? Do the math. More power + AWD and then factor in less weight MEANS FASTER on the road 99% of the time. We don't live at the track. So yes, I DO KNOW if its faster, and in all practical terms, it is.

2. Yes, I have indeed heard both cars, search on YouTube dinan M2, it is a high quality recording of stock sound and then modded. Now search tt rs sound, and the first result will blow you away. EVERYONE SAYS IT SOUNDS BETTER, NOT ONE PERSON SAYS OTHERWISE. Did you know? The engineers added a 5th cilinder JUST for the exhaust notes/burbles/pops.

3. It is not an interior fetish, it is about NOT FEELING THE SAME as a 228i pretty simple, no?

All I have been talking about are facts, actual videos and actual photos. (Actual articles too).
All "facts" are not created equal. You haven't driven the car you claim is so superior, you over-value trim in a sports car, you over-emphasize straight line speed and in any event mis-state 0-60 times by .4 to .5 second (at least according to Car and Driver and Audi, anyway), you decide that audio clips are equivalent to real-life sound, you extol the virtues of AWD when, in fact, there are many who would agree that a good, balanced RWD set-up is much more enjoyable and playful at the limit and requires more skill to drive well, you dismiss the absence of a manual option in your wet dream car as insignificant, etc.

As Autoblog says, in comparing the two cars: "That said, the BMW with its rear-wheel power and manual transmission is one of the purest sports cars we've driven in recent memory. If you're a 2002 fan boy, the TT RS' power won't sway you."

Bingo.

You've made up your mind, most obviously. That does not mean your mind is correct.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2017, 01:25 AM   #73
M3ZING
Banned
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6 C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM
Quote:

All "facts" are not created equal. You haven't driven the car you claim is so superior, you over-value trim in a sports car, you over-emphasize straight line speed and in any event mis-state 0-60 times by .4 to .5 second (at least according to Car and Driver and Audi, anyway), you decide that audio clips are equivalent to real-life sound, you extol the virtues of AWD when, in fact, there are many who would agree that a good, balanced RWD set-up is much more enjoyable and playful at the limit and requires more skill to drive well, you dismiss the absence of a manual option in your wet dream car as insignificant, etc.

As Autoblog says, in comparing the two cars: "That said, the BMW with its rear-wheel power and manual transmission is one of the purest sports cars we've driven in recent memory. If you're a 2002 fan boy, the TT RS' power won't sway you."

Bingo.

You've made up your mind, most obviously. That does not mean your mind is correct.
TTRS is way way faster.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 02:01 AM   #74
BruceM
Major
Rep

http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/12/04/to...vs-audi-tt-rs/

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/01/02/au...-rs-vs-bmw-m2/

http://www.quattrodaily.com/audi-tt-rs-vs-bmw-m2/

Haven't seen a review yet that picks the TTRS over the M2, having driven both on the track and the road. Some call it faster (although without track time comparisons), but they don't call it better. They pick the M2. And they pick it for versions of the same reasons--more fun and rewarding to drive.

Look, the M4 is "faster" than the M2. But on some tracks, it's slower--that's been demonstrated. I would not be surprised if the same were true of the TTRS. But in any event, there is no possible way the TTRS, as described and compared by those who have actually driven it, is a no brainer over the M2, as some who post here would have us believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:33 AM   #75
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Stop trying to "feel good" illogically about having an M2, it WILL be slower!

Official TT RS 0-62mph is 3.7, on the videos with launch control they pretty much always get 3.4 and 3.5. In one article I read "some engineers achieved it in 3.2". Whatever that means - anyways, WAY FASTER. I've read more about the TT RS than you.

Now, look at my username.

M2 will surely be a purer experience and hence, "more fun". I have never debated this, although fun can be questionable when you lose and can't catch up in a road.

Track results? I don't care. I have said it before, I'll say it again: If I was completely single, I'd probably get a manual M2. I'm not and will share a car - the GF hates LBB, I hate white, my father's 435i is MG. She's not interested in driving standard (or learning). M2's are hard to get. Getting in and SENSING therefore feeling 228-caliber interiors (for god damn 40,000+ dollars over a model) is ANNOYING as hell and perfectly normal - WHICH IS WHY so many reviews CRITIZISE the interior of the M2 calling it DRAB.

Last edited by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights; 01-21-2017 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:39 AM   #76
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As for the reviews, why would car enthusiasts that DO touch themselves to lap times and rowing through gears, prefer an AWD auto only option over a rwd stick shift?

They wouldn't.

It all comes down to WHAT YOU PARTICULARLY WANT.

I can say FOR SURE that a car is BETTER but that is relative to my criteria, needs, preferences.

As for the facts and being objective etc., go ahead, do a survey out of this forum. Ask some Facebook friends and/or family.

Most will say the TT RS looks and sounds better (with the given information).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:43 AM   #77
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

1:55

Read the comments: "sounds almost like a Huracan" - that's a Lamborghini.

"Sounds like Viper"

"Does this have a V8?"

M2 won't receive that praise, sorry.

It will receive (and already has) some other, very enthusiast-oriented praise.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #78
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
^yes, it does sound good, very good in fact.....about as good as my dinan with resonator delete setup in MDM mode.

These are still FI cars though. Audi did what they could audibly with their restriction of a turbo. To say it sounds like a Viper is overreaching.

And can we move on from the 0-60 performance measure already? Stoplight racing is SO high school in 1970 Texas on a Friday night. Highway rolls is where it's at. In this regard, AWD drivetrains experience parasitic loss. The new M3/4 will be hard pressed to hit 60 in 4s flat but will rip through the 1/4 at nearly 120 mph (M3 zcp did 120 per C&D). The TTRS may in fact do 3.4, or whatever but let's see it sniff those trap figures.

Last edited by No Boost; 01-21-2017 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #79
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

The 5-cyl sounds amazing very unique. Nothing you can do with aftermarket exhaust on a 6 will get you there. Not saying better or worse but just very unique - I personally love it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #80
BruceM
Major
Rep

I don't have to "try" to feel good about having an M2. I already do, and it is effortless, and perfectly logical.

I will reserve judgment on "slower," until I see reviews that demonstrate this beyond paper, and in the real world. In any event, whatever deficit there might be will be eliminated by Dinan, and I will be left with a manual RWD car that will still be less money than a dual clutch car that, the reviews say, won't even let me get the rear to hang out. You don't care about the track, but I do. The category here is sports car. In my world, that means maximum enjoyment on road AND track.

With those criteria, which are hardly "illogical", and in fact are shared by many here, as well as reviewers of both cars--the M2 is simply a better car. I'm good with that.

This "discussion" started when you criticized a poster for not recognizing the TTRS's supposed superiority, and told him to tell you "how it feels to never be able to catch up to the TT RS, not sound as good and not look as good, for barely 10k more. Plus those interiors...". I have merely pointed out that there is a lot of subjective judgment in that snark, masquerading as "fact."
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #81
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
I don't have to "try" to feel good about having an M2. I already do, and it is effortless, and perfectly logical.

I will reserve judgment on "slower," until I see reviews that demonstrate this beyond paper, and in the real world. In any event, whatever deficit there might be will be eliminated by Dinan, and I will be left with a manual RWD car that will still be less money than a dual clutch car that, the reviews say, won't even let me get the rear to hang out. You don't care about the track, but I do. The category here is sports car. In my world, that means maximum enjoyment on road AND track.

With those criteria, which are hardly "illogical", and in fact are shared by many here, as well as reviewers of both cars--the M2 is simply a better car. I'm good with that.

This "discussion" started when you criticized a poster for not recognizing the TTRS's supposed superiority, and told him to tell you "how it feels to never be able to catch up to the TT RS, not sound as good and not look as good, for barely 10k more. Plus those interiors...". I have merely pointed out that there is a lot of subjective judgment in that snark, masquerading as "fact."
Good points.

At nearly $20,000 more than an M2, the Audi TT RS better be a markedly superior car. It's not, although it is a remarkable car and might be better for many, including those who live with tons of snow in the winter.
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 10:42 AM   #82
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As for lap time results, the TT RS is 1-2~ seconds slower than the C7 'vette, according to a Spanish article.

The M2 is slower than the C7.
Anyways, we will see a lot more results pour in with time, I look forward to them.

You have to agree though, if you never track your car, it might very well be the better car, no?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #83
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Good points.

At nearly $20,000 more than an M2, the Audi TT RS better be a markedly superior car. It's not, although it is a remarkable car and might be better for many, including those who live with tons of snow in the winter.
What the hell are you talking a about? The TT RS is around 60,000....

Dct M2 with the exec package is 58,000....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #84
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
What the hell are you talking a about? The TT RS is around 60,000....

Dct M2 with the exec package is 58,000....

I didn't know that. Can you cite to the price?

My M2 was about $52k, btw.
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #85
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

https://scontent.fsig1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16105879_748380081993057_7323029876731651524_n.jpg ?oh=c029aaaf4817dfe2852dfab1e37c6338&oe=590BD7E0

https://scontent.fsig1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16194947_748380088659723_3903854072585509210_n.jpg ?oh=66a539e27b4b162b39477403788a939a&oe=59211BEC

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/20/2018-audi-tt-rs-first-drive/

http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2017-audi-tt-rs-first-drive-cheerful-supercar-caricature

Proof of 3.2 0-60 + lower than official times.

Estimate is $60,000.

I'm not even going to try to argue if its faster or not at this point, just wait and see....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #86
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I didn't know that. Can you cite to the price?

My M2 was about $52k, btw.
Cheaper but slower than DCT.

Remember, your car has basically the same quality interior of a 228i and a tuned 235i engine.

The TT RS has a very different engine and the interior is at an entirely different level of quality than both M2 and TT. It's also auto and AWD so that figures into the price...plus way faster (with the provided numbers only ofc).

The brakes have more pistons, audio system is Bang & Olufsen, materials are more expensive and luxurious too, you basically get what you pay for, more for more. Dont forget OLED tailights.

I'd get the 52k manual M2 but in PR it costs 78,000 or so, and if I sell my app and get that kind of money, might as well upgrade to something my life partner will love too. Let's see what happens!

If not, I can always save $60,000 in PR and buy a used M235i

Last edited by M2GranCoupeOLEDlights; 01-21-2017 at 11:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #87
M2GranCoupeOLEDlights
Second Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.tf1.fr/tf1/auto-moto/news...o-9755616.html

In 2 days, European duel ON A TRACK, M2 vs TT RS. Should be exciting!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #88
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Don't feed the troll...
Appreciate 0