BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust Valve Behavior

10-30-2016, 01:18 AM   #1
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

M Performance Exhaust Valve Behavior

Can others with the M Performance exhaust please let me know what they've noticed as far as how it behaves?

I LOVE the exhaust. It sounds amazing with the valves in either position.

But I noticed that the valves kept closing on me. I'm trying to hit my 1200 miles for break-in service, so I've done a lot of cruising around. During my cruise tonight, I noticed that the valves kept closing.

For those wondering how I can tell: for one, the noise difference is VERY significant, especially taking off from a stoplight in sport/sport+ in 1st gear. It's VERY loud. Second, if you double tap the button on the remote, it'll either blink five times (meaning valves were closed, and it's now going to open them), or it'll light up red, then fade off over a few seconds. (which means valves were open, but they're now closing.) This is according to the manual that came with the remote

What causes this? Is it me sitting still at stoplights? Is it figuring out that I'm not at a racetrack, so it closes the valves? Or is it a set period of time, then it automatically closes?

It's annoying having to re-open it often. Has anyone else noticed this?

Can this be coded?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
Can others with the M Performance exhaust please let me know what they've noticed as far as how it behaves?

I LOVE the exhaust. It sounds amazing with the valves in either position.

But I noticed that the valves kept closing on me. I'm trying to hit my 1200 miles for break-in service, so I've done a lot of cruising around. During my cruise tonight, I noticed that the valves kept closing.

For those wondering how I can tell: for one, the noise difference is VERY significant, especially taking off from a stoplight in sport/sport+ in 1st gear. It's VERY loud. Second, if you double tap the button on the remote, it'll either blink five times (meaning valves were closed, and it's now going to open them), or it'll light up red, then fade off over a few seconds. (which means valves were open, but they're now closing.) This is according to the manual that came with the remote

What causes this? Is it me sitting still at stoplights? Is it figuring out that I'm not at a racetrack, so it closes the valves? Or is it a set period of time, then it automatically closes?

It's annoying having to re-open it often. Has anyone else noticed this?

Can this be coded?
I don't think it has ever closed on me while driving. I even tried to notice what happens when I turn off the car. Here's what I noticed so far.

Double click to open, double click to close. When open it keeps blinking every 5 seconds to let you know it is still open. When you turn off the car, it takes a few seconds to realize and then it lights on for a couple of seconds to let you know that it will close the valves and the blinking stops. But as I peek in the exhaust it is still open until I am back to turn it on I find it closed.

I had to figure all of this on my own since the dealer who installed it did not give me the manual and thought I would enjoy figuring this out. :|

I love the exhaust, traction "hidden" mode is still king whether valves are on or off.

What bothers me most is the cold start, the exhaust shakes and wiggles and it is extremely loud. First day I got it my wife's cayenne's alarm went on, which was cool for 5 seconds. Glad it didn't happen again though. The moving exhaust issue was also noted on the review posted a few days ago (M Performance Exhaust worth it or not?". So I assume it wasn't an installation issue.

Last edited by MYK; 10-30-2016 at 05:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK View Post
I had to figure all of this on my own since the dealer who installed it did not give me the manual and thought I would enjoy figuring this out. :|
it's your lucky day! my dealer did give me the instructions, so here they are!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #4
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
possible; that the wrong wire was plugged into the valve control.
There are two wires that plug into the fusebox; and another (terminal end) supplied that closes the loop on the factory one.

Factory one only has one wire that goes to the driver side valve control, as the stock oem has only one side.

Hope that makes sense
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2016, 01:40 AM   #5
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
it's your lucky day! my dealer did give me the instructions, so here they are!
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #6
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mine is still closing at random. Went on a spirited cruise with a group of 20 some cars and it was closing within a minute. Was very annoying since it was handy hearing exhaust over the wind noise with Windows down. Took it to dealer and they couldn't get it to close on them and shrugged it off. They said maybe it was interfering with one of the other M cars in the group. I'd open it, get out of car, and it would close within ~ 30 sec.

Ive had other days where I opened it and it stayed open the entire drive.

Is it possible to wire this to a switch? Bluetooth for this is just silly
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #7
jesustracy
Rep
Drives: F87 M2(6MT)

Hi man, I have exactly the same problem as yours. It is so annoying. Did you get it fixed?I took my to the dealership, they don't even know what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #8
jesustracy
Rep

I also notice these is a warning on the manual"use on public roads will invalidate vehicle approval"

Is it the reason why the valves closed by itself when we driving on the road? Cuz the car noticed that we are not on the track. I am just guessing, still do not know what's the reason indeed.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #9
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No it's definitely related to bluetooth interference.

When my wife is in the car, we have two iPhones and two apple watches. When she's in the car, the valves close really quickly. Same goes when I'm driving alone but traffic comes to a stop. (people with bluetooth devices in the cars around me) But when I'm on the highway not around any cars, the valves stay open a lot longer.

It's really annoying because my fix of unplugging the unit immediately after opening the valves works, but I lose the ability to close them remotely, so I often have to switch to comfort mode and shift really really early when I'm near a cop.

I mean it's technically defective and I spent A LOT of money on it--would they replace it if I complain enough? I took it in once and they said they couldn't get it to happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #10
jesustracy
Rep

Did you ask the other M2 owners? I googled all the website and found you and I have this problem. This problem is really annoying. I was think about maybe replace all the bluetooth system under the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Maybe it's a low battery in the controller?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #12
jesustracy
Rep

Absolutely not. I just changed the battery in the controller. It happened again. The problem is bluetooth interference for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #13
Kapachui
Enlisted Member
Rep

No issues with mine...but I don't keep it on for too long. Will test and report back.

Although, I wouldn't be surprise the car send command to close valve depending on status of the car. For example, (not directly related) if you are low on gas, the car will switch sports mode to comfort mode automatically. So depending on what BMW have decided to do to trigger closing the valve, I can see that is what happening with the open / close valve.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #14
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

I have yet to test myself sounds awesome to begin with. Wouldn't just flipping the switch in the trunk cover leaving it on all the time? Again, haven't tested, just assuming. Of course you want to be able to enable / disable it as you like via the BT controller.
      03-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #15
jesustracy
Rep

Quote:
No it's definitely related to bluetooth interference.

When my wife is in the car, we have two iPhones and two apple watches. When she's in the car, the valves close really quickly. Same goes when I'm driving alone but traffic comes to a stop. (people with bluetooth devices in the cars around me) But when I'm on the highway not around any cars, the valves stay open a lot longer.

It's really annoying because my fix of unplugging the unit immediately after opening the valves works, but I lose the ability to close them remotely, so I often have to switch to comfort mode and shift really really early when I'm near a cop.

I mean it's technically defective and I spent A LOT of money on it--would they replace it if I complain enough? I took it in once and they said they couldn't get it to happen.

Hi bro. Is there any possibility that the mechanics connect the wire into the wrong place while installing the MPE exhaust for us? Because only you and I have this issue. Any other owners do not have this issue. Have your ever checked the wire installation?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:49 AM   #16
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Any of you guys think getting this Fabspeed Sportcat add to the M Performance Exhaust
See this link

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...6#post21418886

This sportcat combo is going to sound

[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 05:08 AM   #17
_lkk
Rep
Drives: x6m competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesustracy View Post
Hi bro. Is there any possibility that the mechanics connect the wire into the wrong place while installing the MPE exhaust for us? Because only you and I have this issue. Any other owners do not have this issue. Have your ever checked the wire installation?
Hi guys,
I have the same problem on my mpe for x4 35i (same bt system).

There are some interesting analogies, I also have iphone + apple watch, but I do not think the problem is this, when I'm with my wife and daughters with other iphone (all with active bt), there is no deterioration, indeed sometimes I do not have any problem.
Yesterday morning was a nightmare, it did not stay active for more than 2 minutes. I changed the remote control battery and for now I have not had any problems, but it might be a case.

For me the problem might be one of these:
-interference with BT (I do not think)
- faulty contact of the control unit
- remote control battery.

I am working to change the valve operation mode, the project provided various possibilities and the ECU "reads" the can:

http://redarcheng.co.uk/case-studies...xhaust-system/

Also if you open the remote control there are some jumpers marked as P1, I need to figure out what can be done.

For me the top would always be open over the 70 ° of engine oil temperature (ie keep them closed for the first second of the cold start, when the wgs are open and the noise is too "intrusive").

Have any of you worked on us?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:48 AM   #18
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I complained again when I took my car in last week for an oil change and they ended up replacing the exhaust and it now works correctly.

The remote is also different. The button on the remote doesn't get stuck now.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #19
jesustracy
Rep

I just install the Fi exhaust on my m2 and get rid of MPE. I dont want to waste time taking to the dealership about this issue.

BTW, Fi exhaust sounds way better than my previous MPE and Akra.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #20
M2Dynamic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M2

I'm now starting to have this same issue. It's weird I haven't had this issue the first few months of having the exhaust but the past month it's been randomly turning off and oddly enough it happens most of the time when I'm in sports* mode idk why. Anyone figure it out?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #21
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

It does not matter what mode I'm in, it will randomly close. It is definitely related to bluetooth interference. Dealer has been useless thus far. It is definitely made worse when more people are in the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 01:38 AM   #22
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Dynamic View Post
I'm now starting to have this same issue. It's weird I haven't had this issue the first few months of having the exhaust but the past month it's been randomly turning off and oddly enough it happens most of the time when I'm in sports* mode idk why. Anyone figure it out?
It's a faulty unit. Record video of it happening since the dealer will claim they "can't replicate the problem". I took it in, complained, told them last time I took it in they couldn't replicate it but I took a video because it happens every damn time, and offered to show them the video and they said no need, and called me a couple days later stating that they found some cracks in the exhaust and were able to get the problem to replicate so they're replacing it all. I now have the newer version (button on remote doesn't get stuck, YAY) and it's working 100% flawlessly.

I'm in the U.S. so there's no button in the trunk. It just works.
Appreciate 0