BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M performance 6MT Shiftk knob and Side Break Parts install

12-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #1
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

M performance 6MT Shiftk knob and Side Break Parts install

This is really frustrating...

My beautiful MY18 F87 just arrived at the dealership yesterday afternoon and dealer parts mechanics are installing all requested MP parts interior exterior.

I firstly requested the interior 6MT shift knob carbon fiber that is offered to 2 series which comes with white stitching boot.
Same as interior side break carbon fiber. It is offered to 2 series whcih comes with white stitching boot as well.
So I told my SA to tell the installer at the dealer to keep the OE stock blue stitched boots as just change the knob and the side break handle.

BMW only offers full interior console carbon fiber kit to DCTs not 6MT
Parts# 51952411428. So I had to order 2 series parts for shift and side break separately and was quite sure that they can just replace the knob and handle leaving the original boots.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1108
Size:  196.4 KB

Now vehcile is here, they are intalling the parts and dealer has just mentioned that all blue stitched boots are "GLUED" with shift knob and side break handle.... Meaning that they cannot install "knob and handle" only and put it on the OE stock blue stitched boots....

GLUED as shown;
Name:  GLUED.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  83.7 KB

So here I became quite frustrated as I saw many ppl from forum doing DIY for the knob and even saw the IND DIY for interior installation thread of the side break kit....
Thought it could be done so I ordered all 2 series parts for interior kit and wait for this to be done in a manner that I wished for long months.

I asked my dealer to just install 2 series white stitched parts (as they already have it done, and dont want them to re-do it because they will definitely charge me more on labor) and keep the OE parts for me to figure out something later to replace boots...

Dont know if these GLUED boots are just for MY18 or all M2 models..
If someone has done (I know some are already done) DIY for these two parts, please help!!

I wish to give direction to my dealer installer and hope to get mine picked up on this Friday!! So that she will be protected by PPF and ceramic coating and I will be able to drive from Monday next week...

Last edited by alscks0414; 12-13-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Glued boot is for all M2 models. pup73 did this DIY, ordered the 2 series shift knob with white stitching. Then just broke the glue and swapped the shift knobs. i think he might of broke some tabs, can't remember LOL but it worked and looked good.

For me, i just ordered the one from iND because i'm lazy and made the install simple. But once i installed it, didn't care for the shape of it too much when shifting gears and put back the stock one. That reminds me, I actually need to post it for sale, it's been sitting in my closet for months
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Did both myself as well, the hand brake is probably the easiest mod you can do as you just swap the boot by cutting the zip tie, and then just tie a new one with the new boot.

The shifter you need to be a little careful, but essentially you carefully remove the large clip and break the glue from the two smaller holes. You'll have to reglue those points on the new boot.

Dealer probably won't do it if there aren't OEM install instructions, but it's also not worth the price of labor as these are not difficult DIYs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanofakind01 View Post
Did both myself as well, the hand brake is probably the easiest mod you can do as you just swap the boot by cutting the zip tie, and then just tie a new one with the new boot.

The shifter you need to be a little careful, but essentially you carefully remove the large clip and break the glue from the two smaller holes. You'll have to reglue those points on the new boot.

Dealer probably won't do it if there aren't OEM install instructions, but it's also not worth the price of labor as these are not difficult DIYs.
Thanks for your sharing.

Do you mind what kind of glue you used and how you managed to un-glue the shift and the boot? BMW mech said that there should be specific glue needs to be used for alcantara and/or leather...

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 08:20 AM   #5
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for your sharing.

Do you mind what kind of glue you used and how you managed to un-glue the shift and the boot? BMW mech said that there should be specific glue needs to be used for alcantara and/or leather...

Thanks in advance!
I just used superglue and it stuck fine. I'm sure there are better adhesives out there for alcantara, but my whole thought process was that once I installed the shifter back on, the boot doesn't really take any of the impact when I'm shifting. 3k miles later still no issues.

As far as removing the shifter from the boot, you need to be careful for removing the clip and not pry it too much. The other two holes I broke off slowly with a small screwdriver. Believe someone here actually used a small drill bit, and slowly drilled into it (probably easier and safer) until it was enough to pull off safely. I was lucky that nothing really snapped.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just used superglue and it stuck fine. I'm sure there are better adhesives out there for alcantara, but my whole thought process was that once I installed the shifter back on, the boot doesn't really take any of the impact when I'm shifting. 3k miles later still no issues.

As far as removing the shifter from the boot, you need to be careful for removing the clip and not pry it too much. The other two holes I broke off slowly with a small screwdriver. Believe someone here actually used a small drill bit, and slowly drilled into it (probably easier and safer) until it was enough to pull off safely. I was lucky that nothing really snapped.
Guess words dont explain fully. (My lack of understanding!!)
I will slowly figure it out once I PU the vehicle and get her wrapped with PPF and ceramic coating..

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

How did you get the e-brake "boot" off??? I can't seem to get it to come off so i can change to the CF e-brake handle...the one in my F30 just pulled right up, but the F87 seems to be integrated into the centre console somehow?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB --> LBB View Post
How did you get the e-brake "boot" off??? I can't seem to get it to come off so i can change to the CF e-brake handle...the one in my F30 just pulled right up, but the F87 seems to be integrated into the centre console somehow?
I still have not PU mine yet. I will tomorrow.
However, brake boot+handle has been already replaed with F30 MP part by the dealer.

I havent done DYI yet so cannot tell you but there is IND link which explains the procedure in detail with pics.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

The e-break boot isn't too bad. Just squeeze around the edges. The 1/2 toward the driver pops right out. The part near the top on the passengers side seems the trickiest. I used a trim removal tool to give it an extra bit of prying....and pulled harder than I ever had to on my e46, but it popped out.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Thank you guys again for all your help and support.

I decided to just get iND one and sell the current one that I have to any of 2ers.
However, I will try DIY the side break later as my car is currently taken for PPF and ceramic coating.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

I was going to say...the one I got from IND already have the blue stitching...took about 18 seconds to swap. Where are you getting your PPF done? Advance?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #12
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSB --> LBB View Post
I was going to say...the one I got from IND already have the blue stitching...took about 18 seconds to swap. Where are you getting your PPF done? Advance?
I am getting it done from a local friend of mine (referred by my close friend who does tints) at Vaughan, GTA.

I am getting mine wrapped with Xpel pro at Headlight, Full Hood, Full Front bumper, Front Fender, A pillar, side mirrors, rocker panels, rear bumper, some portion of roof above the front windshield. Also getting ceramic coat (Dr. Beasley) nano coat.

All-in total CAD 2,450.00, I found it cheapest. As they are close friend of mine, I will get some extra PPF thrown to the body and I have seen their work previsouly and can rely on them although they are new in this industry.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #13
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep

Just have done my ebrake boot swap. It was pretty easy process except pulling the handle out. I actually swap it while the ebrake handle is still on the car haha. I was worried that i might damage something. But i made and it looks awesome. Way better than the white stitching that i had.. lol. Now i need to purchase the shifter from iND and swap it myself as well.
Appreciate 0