BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW M2 goes cold climate testing [updated with more advanced prototype]

01-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #111
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
I have a hard time telling with the psychadelic camo on there.

I hope that BMW leans more M3 than M4 on this car when it comes to the fender flares - the M3 just looks so much more menacing to me.

In terms of the hood, I know what W/// is saying, but I guess I am surprised there's not SOME visual difference there. I know the bulge was functional in the E9X, but I don't know that it is in the F80/82?

The boot lid/spoiler should also have something different that's subtle...
Don't get me wrong, I want a unique hood (not that I think there's anything wrong with regular 2er) and CF roof, pretty much just so that it looks like a meaner car, but it's not going to stop me. Like I said, adding another hood would be purely for looks and just increase cost. I'd rather have it be functional than anything

As for the lip, I plan on going CF M-Performance one anyway, so it doesn't matter to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
I'm with you on this. It's so lame not having individual. All these high expectations and shit talk against M3/4 (which I don't get), black flag new sheriff bs.... and no carbon roof and no individual.

Rant over lol
Well to be fair, you couldn't really get Individual on the 1M either so it's nothing new here. Yes, there was a factory Java Green 1M but that an exception more than anything.

At the end of the day, we (or at least I) knew it was going to be that way. They had to protect the M3/4 one way or another. But if they are going to do that, the base price better reflect it

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
Which new line sorry? Looks like the M235i racing fenders + camo?
That's the production body. If you look at the fuel lid, it's flush. The M235i racing is not
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #112
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Don't get me wrong, I want a unique hood (not that I think there's anything wrong with regular 2er) and CF roof, pretty much just so that it looks like a meaner car, but it's not going to stop me. Like I said, adding another hood would be purely for looks and just increase cost. I'd rather have it be functional than anything

As for the lip, I plan on going CF M-Performance one anyway, so it doesn't matter to me

At the end of the day, we (or at least I) knew it was going to be that way. They had to protect the M3/4 one way or another. But if they are going to do that, the base price better reflect it
We are totally in agreement on the hood - I just think there's a part of me that wants it to look different than my 235, which hasn't exactly been very endearing to me.

In terms of distinguishing itself from the M3/4 - I think we can debate on a pretty decent list of items at this point:

No S engine
No CF roof
No hood bulge
No CF in the interior
No individual orders
No DCT (pure conjecture - just a guess)
No CCB (again, conjecture on my part)
NO HUD
No LEDs (maybe?)
And overall, less available options.

If most of that list comes true, then the car BETTER be in the 51-52 range, because the M2 has to settle in nicely between the 235 and the M3/4. If the price is higher than that as a starting point, then they need to include more things from that list.

/rant.

Last edited by dmboone25; 01-23-2015 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #113
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Wow. This is the closest prototype we have seen. Rocker panels are now molded with the fenders, front bumper looks to be close to production, quad exhaust. The photos aren't the best, but this is significant and the first of its kind.

01-23-2015, 09:25 AM   #114
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:

That's the production body. If you look at the fuel lid, it's flush. The M235i racing is not
Ah ok cool, I'll go and have another look then
      01-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #115
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Will the boot/trunk lid really be horizontal like this rather than a bulbous curve like the 1M/M4? I guess not full production body parts yet?
      01-23-2015, 09:30 AM   #116
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
We are totally in agreement on the hood - I just think there's a part of me that wants it to look different than my 235, which hasn't exactly been very endearing to me.

In terms of distinguishing itself from the M3/4 - I think we can debate on a pretty decent list of items at this point:

No S engine
No CF roof
No hood bulge
No CF in the interior
No individual orders
NO HUD
And overall, less available options.

If most of that list comes true, then the car BETTER be in the 51-52 range, because the M2 has to settle in nicely between the 235 and the M3/4. If the price is higher than that as a starting point, then they need to include more things from that list.

/rant.
No LEDs (maybe?)
You don't think those fender flares, ridiculous bumpers and quads aren't enough to distinguish it from the M235i? I think they do. Would love to see CF roof more than a new hood

Let's take a quick look at your list. I answered in bold:
No S engine Agreed. I really wish it was either a detuned S55, or better yet, a new 4 cylinder S20.
No CF roof. Agreed again. That would really suck
No hood bulge. Expected. Have to go see how heavy a stock 2er hood is
No CF in the interior. We don't know that yet. I would expect to see that though
No individual orders. Expected. Leipzig doesn't really do Individual, that has absolutely nothing to do with the M2
No DCT (pure conjecture - just a guess). DCT was confirmed. I was surprised, I thought for sure it'd be 8AT available since M235i is using it
No CCB (again, conjecture on my part). It'll probably fit assuming the wheels are big enough. But how many people here are going to order an $8k option on a $50-60k car?
NO HUD Completely expected. That would require an entire new dash to be produced. Unless the new 1ers have? If so, we might see this during LCI... assuming there is LCI
And overall, less available options. Expected. There are more options on the M5/6 than the M3/4, so nothing new here

I dunno, maybe my expectation for the M2 wasn't as high as everyone else's? That's why I've said since Day 1 that this car at absolute maximum cannot start more than the halfway mark between the M235i and the M3/4.

Am I still onboard after all that is omitted from that list? Absolutely. Just don't price it too high or I'll prob go to a used Cayman S or an F80.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:40 AM   #117
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
I have a hard time telling with the psychadelic camo on there.

I hope that BMW leans more M3 than M4 on this car when it comes to the fender flares - the M3 just looks so much more menacing to me.

In terms of the hood, I know what W/// is saying, but I guess I am surprised there's not SOME visual difference there. I know the bulge was functional in the E9X, but I don't know that it is in the F80/82?

The boot lid/spoiler should also have something different that's subtle...

Quote:
I'm with you on this. It's so lame not having individual. All these high expectations and shit talk against M3/4 (which I don't get), black flag new sheriff bs.... and no carbon roof and no individual.

Rant over lol
Well to be fair, you couldn't really get Individual on the 1M either so it's nothing new here. Yes, there was a factory Java Green 1M but that an exception more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris View Post
Which new line sorry? Looks like the M235i racing fenders + camo?
I hear you man but I hold the comments made in a recent interview with M exec that this needs to be a true M (making comparison to M235i). And at an images and dynamics point there needs to be a common denominator with all of the M's, like quad exhaust and carbon roof is def one of them.

Not a deal breaker but come on AG!
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #118
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I hear you man but I hold the comments made in a recent interview with M exec that this needs to be a true M (making comparison to M235i). And at an images and dynamics point there needs to be a common denominator with all of the M's, like quad exhaust and carbon roof is def one of them.

Not a deal breaker but come on AG!
And I don't see why it won't be. This is exactly the same recipe as the 1M (common engine, M3 drivetrain, compact size... relatively). To me, since day 1, this has always been the 1M Version 2.0 as soon as it was revealed that there was going to be a new 4 pot in it like Scott was saying earlier.

I'm not necessarily defending BMW, because I'd love to see either a 4 pot or a detuned S55 in there, as well as making the car way lighter than it will be. Like I said, I quite enjoyed the M235i to my surprise, and there were plenty of things on the M3/4 that I really liked. You blend all that together and to me, that is without a doubt an M car... just potentially without the extra sauce.

One thing that will be important for me that no one has mentioned yet. Which EPS will it have? The one from the M235i? Or the one from the M3/4?

The good thing about probably not doing mass ED anymore is that it'll give me time to test drive the M2 and watch reviews before I decide.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:33 AM   #119
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
You don't think those fender flares, ridiculous bumpers and quads aren't enough to distinguish it from the M235i? I think they do. Would love to see CF roof more than a new hood

Let's take a quick look at your list. I answered in bold:
No S engine Agreed. I really wish it was either a detuned S55, or better yet, a new 4 cylinder S20.
No CF roof. Agreed again. That would really suck
No hood bulge. Expected. Have to go see how heavy a stock 2er hood is
No CF in the interior. We don't know that yet. I would expect to see that though
No individual orders. Expected. Leipzig doesn't really do Individual, that has absolutely nothing to do with the M2
No DCT (pure conjecture - just a guess). DCT was confirmed. I was surprised, I thought for sure it'd be 8AT available since M235i is using it
No CCB (again, conjecture on my part). It'll probably fit assuming the wheels are big enough. But how many people here are going to order an $8k option on a $50-60k car?
NO HUD Completely expected. That would require an entire new dash to be produced. Unless the new 1ers have? If so, we might see this during LCI... assuming there is LCI
And overall, less available options. Expected. There are more options on the M5/6 than the M3/4, so nothing new here

I dunno, maybe my expectation for the M2 wasn't as high as everyone else's? That's why I've said since Day 1 that this car at absolute maximum cannot start more than the halfway mark between the M235i and the M3/4.

Am I still onboard after all that is omitted from that list? Absolutely. Just don't price it too high or I'll prob go to a used Cayman S or an F80.
The fender flares and exhaust are going to help a lot - you are completely right about that.

Part of my expectations come from the fact that I have been really disappointed with the 235. I bought the first one in Indiana, sight unseen, and I think I bought into the marketing hype too much. Shame on me for believing that the 235 could compare to the 1M - they're not even on the same planet.

As a result - I am putting all my eggs in the M2's basket. It is either going to mark my 6th BMW, and maybe the first one I have ever purchased, or....my departure from the brand. I am that "blah" about the 235. It is, actually, the least favorite BMW I have owned. So the M2 will either rectify that, or it will not. I am hoping it does.
      01-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #120
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

More photos added to first post.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:38 AM   #121
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Wow. This is the closest prototype we have seen. Rocker panels are now molded with the fenders, front bumper looks to be close to production, quad exhaust. The photos aren't the best, but this is significant and the first of its kind.

Not the first of its kind, the red prototype spotted a few months ago has the same features.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #122
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
The fender flares and exhaust are going to help a lot - you are completely right about that.

Part of my expectations come from the fact that I have been really disappointed with the 235. I bought the first one in Indiana, sight unseen, and I think I bought into the marketing hype too much. Shame on me for believing that the 235 could compare to the 1M - they're not even on the same planet.

As a result - I am putting all my eggs in the M2's basket. It is either going to mark my 6th BMW, and maybe the first one I have ever purchased, or....my departure from the brand. I am that "blah" about the 235. It is, actually, the least favorite BMW I have owned. So the M2 will either rectify that, or it will not. I am hoping it does.
Oh hell no, I'd never compare the M235i to the 1M
That's interesting though, what don't you like about it? I'm assuming it's too soft and the EPS is too numb? I actually really enjoyed my short time with an M235i 8AT, I thought it would have been a great car to own, but I knew I'd be kicking myself when the M2 came out.

To get a good idea, it might not be a bad idea to go test drive an M4 with your transmission of choice and try to imagine what it'd be like combining that car with yours. I did that and was more or less sold on the M2 that day. I loved the size and looks of an M235i, but also loved the ridiculously awesome brakes on the M4, as well as the suspension (and chassis stiffness). I preferred the exhaust sound of the N55 to the S55, so another point to the M2.

So based on that, I think the M2 will be the perfect fit for me, but I guess we'll see. The fact that I'm liking the way it looks is just a bonus at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #123
golf_234
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46, E90, F30

Quote:
That's interesting though, what don't you like about it? I'm assuming it's too soft and the EPS is too numb? I actually really enjoyed my short time with an M235i 8AT, I thought it would have been a great car to own, but I knew I'd be kicking myself when the M2 came out.

To get a good idea, it might not be a bad idea to go test drive an M4 with your transmission of choice and try to imagine what it'd be like combining that car with yours. I did that and was more or less sold on the M2 that day. I loved the size and looks of an M235i, but also loved the ridiculously awesome brakes on the M4, as well as the suspension (and chassis stiffness). I preferred the exhaust sound of the N55 to the S55, so another point to the M2.

So based on that, I think the M2 will be the perfect fit for me, but I guess we'll see. The fact that I'm liking the way it looks is just a bonus at the moment.
This. They will not let down. I mean, does any car in the 2/3/4/5 and their respective M series let down right now? Not much. My only objective fear is that they won't offer Terra on the M2. I really do want my Alpine White / Terra combo. But might have to forego the Terra for Red.
      01-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #124
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

"Fangs!"
      01-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #125
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:

I didn't compare the 235 to the 1M. BMW did. Had I been able to drive the 235 prior to taking delivery (timing didn't allow for that), I wonder if I would have gone through with it.

You hit the nail on the head my friend - it is much softer - aka, squishy in the way that it rides. You just kind of bounce along and it feels very floaty, even when the settings are in the most aggressive (Sport +).

I don't hate the steering - it's not bad at all. I do wish it were a bit "tighter" at lower speeds - that would be my one request to be changed on the M2.

My main gripe is with the engine. I have had a N54 135, a N55 135, and now the N55 235. This engine, simply, isn't as strong as the N54. I didn't love the N55 in my 135, but was hoping this "M massaged" version would be better. It really isn't. If anything, it feels less electric. That's why I had been hoping for the S55 in the M2, which doesn't feel lazy or boring at all.

If the 0T0 version of the N55 disappoints, it will likely mean I go a different direction for a while. The S55 being absent in the M2 is a let down for sure. To me, that omission is a big deal, as the other versions I have had of the N55 have left a lot to be desired.

We shall see...
      01-23-2015, 11:16 AM   #126
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:

No S engine
No CF roof
No hood bulge
No CF in the interior
No individual orders
NO HUD
No LEDs (maybe?)
The highlighted items will be available on M2.

Last edited by ynguldyn; 01-23-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #127
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

Take my money!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #128
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I didn't compare the 235 to the 1M. BMW did. Had I been able to drive the 235 prior to taking delivery (timing didn't allow for that), I wonder if I would have gone through with it.

You hit the nail on the head my friend - it is much softer - aka, squishy in the way that it rides. You just kind of bounce along and it feels very floaty, even when the settings are in the most aggressive (Sport +).

I don't hate the steering - it's not bad at all. I do wish it were a bit "tighter" at lower speeds - that would be my one request to be changed on the M2.

My main gripe is with the engine. I have had a N54 135, a N55 135, and now the N55 235. This engine, simply, isn't as strong as the N54. I didn't love the N55 in my 135, but was hoping this "M massaged" version would be better. It really isn't. If anything, it feels less electric. That's why I had been hoping for the S55 in the M2, which doesn't feel lazy or boring at all.

If the 0T0 version of the N55 disappoints, it will likely mean I go a different direction for a while. The S55 being absent in the M2 is a let down for sure. To me, that omission is a big deal, as the other versions I have had of the N55 have left a lot to be desired.

We shall see...
Well one thing is for sure, if they install suspension components from the M3/4, your complaints about the 2er platform being soft will go away. Those things corner so well for what they are IMO. As for the N55, I dunno man, I think you might come away disappointed, but we'll see. To be completely honest, I don't have much experience with turbo engines period, mine have all been NA, so to me, the regular N55 in the M235i felt "fine" to me for what I'll be needing the car for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I'm not going to read too much into this, but did you just more or less confirm no CF roof? Either way, you haven't been wrong before so I can't say I'm particularly surprised.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #129
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adem1534 View Post
Not the first of its kind, the red prototype spotted a few months ago has the same features.
I actually can spot a couple differences between the newest spotting (black mule in Sweden) from the red mule. The most obvious being that the side skirts are now molded to the fender rather than being blatantly separate panels. I am excited for news to be released just like everyone else. Knowing that BMW is gearing this car to be the lowest price point for entering their "M" line, it is understandable that it will lack some of the features of its larger brothers. Apart from what has already been verified, I am hoping for the CF roof. I feel like that should be easily achievable to include in all the M models (doesn't truly cost them that much $ to throw in). I, like most of you, am most concerned with the N550T0. I had an n54 135i and after a few modifications fell in love with FI and the torque (compared to my previous e46 m3s). I am not too concerned with the hp/ torque numbers from the factory, but the potential the car has for tuning and harnessing some more power. Hopefully the new 0T0 has some nice improvements over other N55 iterations. The M2 size is ideal for me, I would prefer not having to look into an F80.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #130
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

I'm really hoping for a CF roof which I'm sure likely won't happen, but what colors are going to be available? Are we going to be seeing M3/4 color or M5/6 colors??
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #131
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
[QUOTE=W///;17275977]Well one thing is for sure, if they install suspension components from the M3/4, your complaints about the 2er platform being soft will go away. Those things corner so well for what they are IMO. As for the N55, I dunno man, I think you might come away disappointed, but we'll see. To be completely honest, I don't have much experience with turbo engines period, mine have all been NA, so to me, the regular N55 in the M235i felt "fine" to me for what I'll be needing the car for.

[QUOTE]

I am more hopeful for the ride being improved - less so on the engine. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
That's not much to be honest. This thing needs to be priced accordingly.
      01-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #132
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn
Quote:

No S engine
No CF roof
No hood bulge
No CF in the interior
No individual orders
NO HUD
No LEDs (maybe?)
Ouch. No bueno. This cereal is getting soggy.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0