BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Need the help of removing the scratch on the panel…

03-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
JKen_0115
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017_M2

Need the help of removing the scratch on the panel…

Hey,

My little kid wanted to the car wash then ended up scratching the panel. He used the top of wheel brush which the metal piece to scratch my rear panel, you can see the photos. I can feel by using finger nail on those area.

Should I go to detailing shop or body shop to fix it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 04:48 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Yikes indeed. That's a painful emotion, but a child just doesn't know any better. When you do it sometime, it will be even more painful LOL. Here is some perspectives:

1. Spray some water from a clean spray bottle on the scratches. If they seem to disappear for a moment, then the scratch is in, or rather only on clear only. I can't fully tell, but it may be below clear coat. Suspect so, as you can see white there. Clear coat scratches are lighter weight than that.

Yes even a clear coat scratch can be felt with your fingernail. BUT if it's only in clear, it's not as severe and a detailer should...I say should be able to compound it and then buff up. Worth a try with them.

2. POSSIBLY, if they are talented enough, a light wet sand might reduce the depth of the scratch to be able to compound it even further. BUT the topcoat can be sanded through real easy, and then it's a respray. Been there done that and have a T shirt to prove it.

3. My best counsel would be a very good body shop might be your first stop. They can tell you immediately what it really needs. And they won't burn through the clear. If they can reduce those edges of the scratch (which is what you are seeing as light reflects off edges) and buff it out, you might just get lucky.
It takes some finessing and skill to get them out completely, and (depending how deep they really are ) you may still be able to see remains of it. Then again, maybe you could get a great price on a panel re-spray. It would not take them long, and very little work really. But it's all fixable...go to YOUTUBE on repairing auto paint scratches and you can get at least some intel on it.

Hope this helps some...but I feel the pain.
Appreciate 1
JKen_0115176.50
      03-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #3
chip_dip19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I would bring it to a trusted detailer first. There are a few tricks which can be used to reduce the appearance of it.

It's always best to go with the least aggressive option first.

Localized polishing < localized wet sanding < combination of filling with touch up paint and wet sanding < respray
Appreciate 1
JKen_0115176.50
      03-14-2022, 12:10 PM   #4
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

It's done. Needs to be painted...
      04-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #5
Steveng01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 120i

This needs to be repainted. The worse news is a large area will have to be sanded and reapply the clearcoat. So the new paint can blend in with the old one.
Appreciate 0