BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > 223 - M2C Street/Track Build

10-08-2022, 08:32 PM   #111
butraymond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m2c

When to release the r3 kits? Is that a true coil over in the rear? And does it come with remote reservoirs?
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      10-09-2022, 04:19 PM   #112
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
If you have run through any higher speed corners in the F87 you know the rear can be a bit twitchy with the somewhat shorter wheelbase vs a lot of other popular track platforms.
Love the detailed updates. Like reading a magazine article.

On a side note any words of wisdom to remove some of the twitchy behaviour of the rear without going with additional downforce?
      10-09-2022, 08:53 PM   #113
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by butraymond View Post
When to release the r3 kits? Is that a true coil over in the rear? And does it come with remote reservoirs?
Hey butraymond hope all has been well! The R3s are available! Been on the M2 for awhile now - love them. They are piggyback style so do not have to mess with mounting the reservoirs either inside or outside the car. Both divorced and coilover are available (and the same price) but unless you are going to a dedicated track car i recommend staying divorced. The performance will be the same and the advantage of a coilover is being able to run a stiffer effective spring rate than the divorced setup. For a car that still sees street time that is likely not a factor - could be pretty harsh on the street. I typically only convert when the car is track only (and also corresponds with being able to reinforce the shock tower).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Love the detailed updates. Like reading a magazine article.

On a side note any words of wisdom to remove some of the twitchy behaviour of the rear without going with additional downforce?
Was discussing this a bit with someone today. A well sorted suspension goes a real longs ways here - proper rear weight transfer makes a big difference. The oem suspension is just too compromised for sure to counter it. I also like stuffing as much rear tire onto the car as possible. Being able to better manage heat with the larger tires will help keep the rear at optimum grip. Being a bit slidey and also a piggy can really overwork the tires (front & rear) - larger tires can go a long ways to keeping the tires happy. I’m also a believer in wider tires having more lateral grip than narrower tires despite the science saying they are theoretically the same based on overall contact patch size. I run 11’s in the rear with between 295 & 305 widths.

Once you get to sticky tires & a sorted suspension you are actually very close to achieving lat g’s over the recommended limit for the S55. Something like a M235iR wing with even the little bit of DF it adds can push you over while not going over the lat g limit for grip. Still wants to go kind of quick when it does but very manageable to bring back (thankfully).
Appreciate 2
MR RIZK757.50
      11-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #114
OG Shark
Rep

Built motor...
Upgraded DCT...
Bigger turbos...
Major diet...
And much, much more...

'23 is going to be a blast with 223. Super Lap Battle in March; Texas Mile (date TBD)

Goals:
- Sub 2:15 at COTA in SLB Limited trim ( > 60tw tire)
- 2:10 at COTA with slicks
- Break 200mph at the Texas Mile
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      11-04-2022, 02:56 PM   #115
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Sounds like a "Texas Trifecta"--good luck with the goals!!
      11-04-2022, 08:22 PM   #116
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Built motor...
Upgraded DCT...
Bigger turbos...
Major diet...
And much, much more...

'23 is going to be a blast with 223. Super Lap Battle in March; Texas Mile (date TBD)

Goals:
- Sub 2:15 at COTA in SLB Limited trim ( > 60tw tire)
- 2:10 at COTA with slicks
- Break 200mph at the Texas Mile
I'll text you my credit card lol
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      11-04-2022, 09:20 PM   #117
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Sounds like a "Texas Trifecta"--good luck with the goals!!
Thanks! Might be a bit of a stretch on the 2:10 at COTA, but I think the other two will be attainable. Going to be a lot of fun trying that is for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
I'll text you my credit card lol
I already have it
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 10:09 AM   #118
OG Shark
Rep

Built motor w/Mosselmans firing up today Going in the M4 for now though to complete the break-in and tuning while the M2 is still under the knife. Not sure if we are going to keep the Mosselmans on the M2 moving forward though - they are meant for the race M4 once it is online. Have some other plans for the M2...

New tow pig got here last week

Appreciate 3
///Mobbin1478.00
inTgr8r2431.50
to_riffic3023.50
      12-05-2022, 10:55 AM   #119
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Tow rig is sweet, congrats!
      12-05-2022, 09:19 PM   #120
Rotary Rocket 35
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
OEM battery - one of those is worse weight distribution worth the absolute overall decrease decisions. In this case with as much power as we are running (and looking to run down the line) removing weight in the rear might be counterproductive. An option we have been thinking about but have not moved on. Seats are both Cobra Nogaros. Running an iPE exhaust which is already considerably lighter than oem and sounds awesome - not much savings to be gained with an Akra system and not worth the hit to the sound quality imo. All wheel sets we run are from Signature Wheel and are forged. Already light & extremely durable - and in sizes much better suited for track work.
Great build...keep up the good work.

What are your specific wheel specs? I am having a hard time fitting 275x18 square set up for track.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 05:27 PM   #121
Rets098
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
PROJECT 223 - '19 M2C

Classic story of boy meets BMW, boy falls in love with BMW, boy opens motorsport shop so he and his friends can build fast BMW. Always been a car guy but didn't first get on the track until about three years ago - and it sort of spiraled out of control from there to say the least . Long story short we are now actively racing an E92 M3, building another one (more faster please), turning an OG M2 into a dedicated track monster, and also have a couple of other fun projects in the works. What was missing though was a street/track hybrid - a car I can drive to the track, put down some fast laps, and then comfortably drive home. Since we already have the S65 covered and an N55 on the way an S55 build made the most sense. And since I missed driving my OG M2 on the street an M2C build was the obvious choice.

Why call it Project 223? Overlooking the obvious of me just being a huge nerd there is a reason for 223. My home track is the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX (awesome track for anyone that hasn't been there). COTA can provide a good point of reference for comparison to others due to the wide range of cars & drivers that track there. In my experience sub 2:30 laps times in a street car out there is very quick. Low 2:2x's in a street car is just downright fast. Project [...]
This good to learn
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      12-08-2022, 09:04 PM   #122
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Tow rig is sweet, congrats!
How are the spindles treating you???
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #123
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How are the spindles treating you???
They are doing great, got a PR first weekend out with them, thanks again!!

Will be at COTA beginning of February if you might happen to be there then.
      12-10-2022, 07:31 AM   #124
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotary Rocket 35 View Post
Great build...keep up the good work.

What are your specific wheel specs? I am having a hard time fitting 275x18 square set up for track.
Check this thread - https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1812312 - good info on ETs and spacer combos to run square. Shouldn’t be a problem with either 10” or 10.5” (my preference with a 275)

Quote:
They are doing great, got a PR first weekend out with them, thanks again!!

Will be at COTA beginning of February if you might happen to be there then.
That’s awesome! Out at MSRH? Was actually out there yesterday picking up a trailer. Not sure about Feb (assuming the Feb 4 Chin weekend?). Have it as a possible depending on where the cars are at. Need to get some good testing in before March. Hopefully at least out there with the Wolf.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      12-13-2022, 03:56 AM   #125
paulina
Rep
Drives: M2C

What's you take on carbon roof. It do save around 13ibs and lower the center gravity, but it costs quite a lot to do it. Will it be noticeable on the track?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 09:36 PM   #126
NSFWM2c
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Your car was awesome to watch at SLB last year.. some of the images i had from your car. see ya in march. https://squatchmediainc.pixieset.com...eamericas/223/
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2023, 09:36 PM   #127
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulina View Post
What's you take on carbon roof. It do save around 13ibs and lower the center gravity, but it costs quite a lot to do it. Will it be noticeable on the track?
If you have a sunroof then would say it was worth it for performance alone. Slicktop then really to me it becomes more of an aesthetic touch than one you can really feel. Sure it will help but not very high on the price:benefit scale. If doing a full cage then would absolutely do it every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFWM2c View Post
Your car was awesome to watch at SLB last year.. some of the images i had from your car. see ya in march. https://squatchmediainc.pixieset.com...eamericas/223/
Awesome pics - thanks for sharing! Car will look a bit different this year - and hopefully be quite a bit quicker. Definitely stop by and say hi if you make it!
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2023, 06:24 PM   #128
OG Shark
Rep

Been awhile since I updated the build so thought I would share where the car is at right now and what else we have going on. So we were shooting for SLB back in March and unfortunately life got in the way and we had to back out at the last minute. Perfect storm of family situations to where it really wasn’t the best to be out of town for a few days. All is good now though which is worth far more than any time with the cars and on track. So 223 was ready to run - she was a bit rough (read ugly) but I believe would have faired well in our class. We hadn’t cut any corners to get ready but we did start prioritizing and aesthetics were down towards the bottom of the list. Went from planning for badass to hoping for acceptable . Also had taken a much less time consuming direction on aero & body work to have the car ready to go. With having to call off SLB we actually reset and focused on including everything we hadn’t had time to get to before we are ready for reveal again. Doing some pretty cool things with the aero and working towards fittings some wide rubber on all four corners. Interior with the full cage getting a make pretty as well - paint and custom dash/center console. Without a set event date necessary for reveal we are taking are time - having to prioritize customer work for sure and also some other development that needs to happen sooner than later. Still shooting for a fall reveal but small shop and you know how that goes

One of the things that hasn’t gotten in the way of 223 has been one of the new additions to the shop. I brought in another M2C to serve as a shop/demo car since 223 hasn’t gotten so wild. This one - affectionately known as Schnuckiputzi after an amazing blessing that has come into our life over the last few months - is going to serve as an example of the potential the F87 has while still being an incredibly comfortable and civil street car. It is going to mimic the first build phase of 223’s build for the most part but with a couple of twists. Will be doing a separate build thread once she is ready for prime time (very soon).

The other major thing happening with us is that we are officially jumping into the Pcar world. Certainly not leaving BMW - love these cars too much - but going to expand our knowledge base and offerings a bit and getting into Porsche makes sense for us right now. First up we are going to start development on our custom line of Nitron kits for the 991.2 GT3 & GT3 RS. Just brought in a ‘19 GT3 RS to serve as the test mule for our development. Getting the Essex/AP Racing treatment here shortly along with a full iPE exhaust. Very much looking forward to throttling this car a bit - even though it will be the slowest car in the line up at the beginning…

If you made it this far - thanks! I will throw in a couple of pics here shortly - I know that’s the important stuff
Appreciate 3
skier_du147.50
F87Tomei267.00
      01-03-2024, 11:49 PM   #129
aparedes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

OG Shark

Congrats on the build. Do you have any updates? Also were you able to resolve the fuel starvation issue on track? Running into the same problem on fast right handers under 1/2 a tank.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      01-04-2024, 10:13 AM   #130
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparedes View Post
OG Shark

Congrats on the build. Do you have any updates? Also were you able to resolve the fuel starvation issue on track? Running into the same problem on fast right handers under 1/2 a tank.
Unfortunately this car had to get pushed to the back burner a bit over the last year. Still on track as a high HP, big aero, hopefully stupid fast build but will probably be closer to '25 before it makes it to the track.

We were actually just talking about this yesterday at the shop on another M2 that is going to have decent power and grip. For the 223 car we are going to incorporate a surge tank. With that build level of that car I have no qualms about adding one and all that it entails. With the other M2 being a street car still though not real keen on an external surge tank like that. So long story short we might be getting back into figuring out a more street friendly solution real quick.
Appreciate 1
aparedes302.00
      03-14-2024, 11:14 PM   #131
nocospeed
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

What carbon hood did you select? Great build and appreciate all the info. Keep it coming.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 11:49 AM   #132
Julien_P
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Went through all the posts, nice build !
Appreciate 0