BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Subtle changes in LCI

10-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #23
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
Pretty sure cruise control controls are on the left side of the steering wheel. They are in my car anyway.

The volume controls are on the right. Volume used to be on the left - and IMO they should put volume back on the left (where it belongs! my right hand is busy with the gear shift!) and move the CC control back to a stalk on the left side of the column. I don't think either of those functions were improved with their current placements/layout on the steering wheel.
Thanks, you are right. And yes, that is how my Acura is and I like it that way. But that car's cruise is on the wheel on the right. Damn, I'm so confused I don't even know I'm confused!

That's it, I'm getting rid of all the cars and buying a bicycle!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #24
Mosely
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 | '20 X5 | '07 E92

Quote:
Pretty sure cruise control controls are on the left side of the steering wheel. They are in my car anyway.

The volume controls are on the right. Volume used to be on the left - and IMO they should put volume back on the left (where it belongs! my right hand is busy with the gear shift!) and move the CC control back to a stalk on the left side of the column. I don't think either of those functions were improved with their current placements/layout on the steering wheel.
Agree 100%. I miss volume controls on the left as thats the hand thats on the wheel most of the time and cruise control isn't something I use as often so I don't mind the minor inconvenience of moving my hand to get to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #25
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Preach, brother!!

I don't really want to rant, but... That's a thing that I can't really wrap my head around. Had an F20 rental for about a week and 750 miles and still did not manage to get used to it. It is actually more complicated - it took more time to set it up than the old CC, which, IIRC, works like this:

Up/down - interrupt set speed
Left button - resume set speed
Forward/backward - set speed or increase/decrease speed

That's all. E.g., I reach 35 mph, I push the stalk forward, cruise control set at 35 mph. I see red on the traffic light in distance, I push it down to cancel. Boom, done. I almost do it unconsciously. It's like a nice booty. I see one, I look at it. (I do that unconsciously, too)

Now, in the newer cars, they have three buttons (CC, RES, SET) and one weird button/scrolling wheel thingy that do exactly the same as that old stalk with one lonely ass button.

And because of that, I cannot change the volume with my left hand which is on the wheel all the time!

10-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #26
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

1. What is the issue with the stalks? You say they have changed them to be more similar to other makes, but how and in what way? I have a 2017 and think the turn signal process is fine, if not easy and great.
2. Thank god they changed this, wish I could adapt the changes in my car. Righty tighty, Lefty loosey. Clockwise should always drill down/make the map bigger. No brainer here to me, not sure why BMW struggled here, but then again....

Lastly, wtf is cruise control...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #27
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
1. What is the issue with the stalks? You say they have changed them to be more similar to other makes, but how and in what way? I have a 2017 and think the turn signal process is fine, if not easy and great.
2. Thank god they changed this, wish I could adapt the changes in my car. Righty tighty, Lefty loosey. Clockwise should always drill down/make the map bigger. No brainer here to me, not sure why BMW struggled here, but then again....

Lastly, wtf is cruise control...
Cruise Control is for Control Freaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #28
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

I noticed another subtle change yesterday -- engaging the turn signal dims the DRL on the side indicating the turn. E.g. If you signal left, the left-side DRL dimS until the signal is cancelled.

Much nicer than the behavior I've seen in other makes (Audi, Porsche, Land Rover) which is to simply turn the DRL completely off on the signal side.

I'm pretty sure this is new behavior with the LCI. Yes/no?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 04:04 PM   #29
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
I noticed another subtle change yesterday -- engaging the turn signal dims the DRL on the side indicating the turn. E.g. If you signal left, the left-side DRL dimS until the signal is cancelled.

Much nicer than the behavior I've seen in other makes (Audi, Porsche, Land Rover) which is to simply turn the DRL completely off on the signal side.

I'm pretty sure this is new behavior with the LCI. Yes/no?
I’ve noticed this too. Also if you switch the lights to the full on position all the way to the right it turns the headlights on and will not dim the halos when you turn on the signal.

One other useful thing I noticed is that when you have finished reversing in to a spot with the beeping going crazy you can pop the shift lever into neutral and the beeping will stop. This is without rolling forward like many had complained about with pre-lci. You can also turn the car off with reverse engaged, move the shifter out of reverse, and start the car and it will not be beeping.

However, it is not completely fixed because I have noticed that if you have the shifter in reverse at the moment you start the car it will not stop beeping regardless of what position you move the gear lever and will beep until you move forward.
      10-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #30
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
1) Turn signals are normal again!
I swear I have not noticed this! Will compare tonight with my 1M.

Quote:
2) Zoom in/out in Nav maps using the iDrive controller has reversed "polarity".
NO WAY! I stopped using the NAV a long time ago (google/waze now) and this was always so frustrating!

Quote:
Yes - hate the fact they changed this - and they changed it because they wanted to put the cruise controls on the steering wheel. But it makes no sense, you adjust the volume with your non-shifting hand.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #31
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

So M2 non-LCI

Turn signal still works the same as it always has - snaps to the center.

iDrive map is now reversed (thank GOD). Clockwise out, Counter Clockwise zooms in (the way it should have always been!).
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #32
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Removed several posts 'infesting' this thread with off-topic ranting about cyclists' driving behavior, a discussion that 'went oversteer'.

Feel free to post those thoughts in the "Official Road Cycling Thread" in the General section of Bimmerpost: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1249294.