BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Warm interior

10-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #23
OSA_BMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 in waiting

Had my car for a week. Definitely noticed how hot things get in there, glad to hear others have been sweating as much as me.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:45 PM   #24
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

happened to me a few nights ago after about an hour of driving in traffic and it was ~75 degrees out. thought the heater was on low or something but it wasnt.. glad somebody else noticed this.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #25
MineralGreyMetallic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 BGM M2 6MT

There is definitely a lot of heat coming from the dash area. You're not crazy. This car seems unusual in that regard.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #26
daftsham
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F87 MG DCT

was just wondering about this exact same thing the other night. walking back from an outdoor concert with temps in the low 60s/high 50s and i get into the car without turning auto climate control. the car was already unusually warm
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:41 PM   #27
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
The wife talking too much?
OH MY GOD! You actually posted that? LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #28
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

On the serious side of this....

You have a 3.0 liter turbocharged engine with little firewall sound insulation, and Shazam, it's hot in the car. The good side is that the A/C is super powered for a car this size, just hit the Max A/C button and it cools done in minutes!

My RS6 has lots of heat coming in too, 4.2 liter twin turbo gets warmed up in the winter in 2 minutes when its 30 below. In fall weather I have to run the A/C to cool off the air in the vent system due to heat from the engine.

I suspect the same is true for the M2. Small sized car with relatively large engine. Lots of heat!

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
M2Nebula547.50
      10-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #29
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadagawd View Post
Not sure if it?s just me but after driving my M2 for about 3 weeks, I find the inside of the car to be warmer than usual. Does anyone also have the same sensation?
Your body instinctively expects fall weather and temperatures but... you're in Vancouver.
      10-08-2017, 09:40 PM   #30
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
The cabin is definitely kept warm I think it’s is due to the insulation.

My previous car would always be cold/neutral when parked in a garage or something overnight. But since I got the M2, it has always been pretty warm. I thought I was just nervous driving it at first (which I was). But now that I’m used to it, it is def kept warm and it happens when garages as well as being outside.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #31
TampaF87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Could always get some gold tape and insulate the firewall. Would be a relatively cheap and definitely lightweight solution. Even if you reduce the surface area of where the radiating heat is coming from by half, you would significantly reduce the interior temperature.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #32
geogerf
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 LBB M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaF87 View Post
Could always get some gold tape and insulate the firewall. Would be a relatively cheap and definitely lightweight solution. Even if you reduce the surface area of where the radiating heat is coming from by half, you would significantly reduce the interior temperature.
I was just talking about the cabin being warm before starting the engine (cold start). While the car is running, it is of course warmer as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #33
Q8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MG M2

I was thinking it was only my My car ! Heat coming from the dash. Not from the sun hot weather or black leather seats, and not from air-condition vents.

It's really unpleasant especially when our summer temp hit more than 48 c (117 F) ! But the A/C is great and really helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #34
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogerf View Post
I was just talking about the cabin being warm before starting the engine (cold start). While the car is running, it is of course warmer as well.
Yeah, seems to be both - cold engine and running.

Having driven these cars at Thermal, I noticed it then. I actually asked an instructor if they had any problems with the M2 and heat-soak. They had, but only a couple times: an M2 engine shut down at 120 degrees. That gave me a lot of relief because those cars are working hard at an extremely hot track with people maxing out the AC.

My M2 runs warmer than my previous M’s and Audi’s, sitting and when engine is running which is interesting. Not too big of a deal, but noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 10:00 PM   #35
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Hello all, first time poster, in this thread of all threads. I did look around for an Intros thread but couldn't find one, so this post is my first.

We're considering an M2 and we live in Chandler, AZ, so the heat issue is relevant for us. As other AZ residents on the forum can attest, we had a few too many 115+ degree days here, it was a brutal summer with more humidity than I ever remember since moving here in '04.

@Q8 - when you say that the AC really helps, are you saying that at 117 it's able to cool the car down and negate the heat throw-off entirely or simply make the interior tolerable? While on the one hand I'm guessing BMW did plenty of hot-weather testing and plenty of happy M2 owners live in climates like ours here in Phoenix, I also don't want to assume too much and would prefer to ask people who are actually living with it.

Thanks in advance, glad to be here, and if I did miss an Intros section feel free to point me in the right direction!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 11:51 PM   #36
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Hello all, first time poster, in this thread of all threads. I did look around for an Intros thread but couldn't find one, so this post is my first.

We're considering an M2 and we live in Chandler, AZ, so the heat issue is relevant for us. As other AZ residents on the forum can attest, we had a few too many 115+ degree days here, it was a brutal summer with more humidity than I ever remember since moving here in '04.

@Q8 - when you say that the AC really helps, are you saying that at 117 it's able to cool the car down and negate the heat throw-off entirely or simply make the interior tolerable? While on the one hand I'm guessing BMW did plenty of hot-weather testing and plenty of happy M2 owners live in climates like ours here in Phoenix, I also don't want to assume too much and would prefer to ask people who are actually living with it.

Thanks in advance, glad to be here, and if I did miss an Intros section feel free to point me in the right direction!
Not a reason to not get the car. It is a great car that runs a little warmer compared to others, but not something that would make anyone not get the car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:15 AM   #37
LA_M2
Private
Rep
Drives: Black M2

I got my black M2 back in May and noticed it was always warm during the first few weeks. One day the girlfriend noticed that the back seat vent was set to warm and that was where the heat was coming from. It happened again when I had the car washed. The cleaners accidentally moved the front and rear vents to warm.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:31 AM   #38
scadagawd
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_M2 View Post
I got my black M2 back in May and noticed it was always warm during the first few weeks. One day the girlfriend noticed that the back seat vent was set to warm and that was where the heat was coming from. It happened again when I had the car washed. The cleaners accidentally moved the front and rear vents to warm.
Interesting. I will check tomorrow morning. Great observation!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:30 AM   #39
Q8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post

The A/C is amazing on the M2, i live in Kuwait and we have 2 months of extreme heat °120F ! As long as you keep it inside the garage or under shade you will be fine.

The issue here is something else, warm (like an engine heat when you open the hood) coming from dash. Not from a/c vent. Am pretty sure it's an isolation thing. It's not a major problem, people in cold areas will enjoy it and some like me will always have the great A/C to help.

To be specific, the warmth comes in waves it's not like always on your face.

Last edited by Q8; 10-11-2017 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:03 AM   #40
GHarris
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scadagawd View Post
Interesting. I will check tomorrow morning. Great observation!
I thought mine was too hot inside at first. I started using the max setting on the ac and it cools just fine now.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #41
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

@seis-speed - Where are you located? Are you in an area where you're also dealing with 115 to 120 degree days for multiple months? Your feedback is appreciated.

@Q8 - Thanks for the input, you know exactly the kind of heat I'm talking about. It's a dry, oppressive heat. As long as the AC can overcome it and isn't fighting it, I'd be good.

@GHarris - I know your area well, I grew up in South Florida and dated a gal from Stuart for several years. You're also living with humidity, which we're usually lucky to avoid. I don't miss the South Florida humidity. What makes it miserable here is that so much is newer, and many of the plazas and parking lots and stores have very little tree coverage. There is no shade. I plan to garage the car at home, but once you're out and about doing errands or whatever there's not much shade help to be found. So the one thing I'm sure of is that Black Sapphire is out.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #42
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I thought M2 always has heater on no matter what

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #43
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Wondering if anyone else has this issue - on my LCI, I've noticed the rear vents are very low flow and the air is always non-AC (as in, it is always warm). This is after turning the dial to maximum air and turning the splitter to the coldest setting (blue side), both front and back.

I had some friends sitting in the rear seats and they complained about how hot it was in the back, meanwhile up in front the AC was nice and cool.

I will play around with the settings a bit more, but seems like this isn't the correct functionality? My old 2013 328i did not have this issue as the back vents functioned as expected.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #44
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I have not noticed this even after reading these posts and checking for it on my car. Shrug. Maybe I'm just less sensitive to heat.
Appreciate 0