BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Sport Cat + Piggy back ECU

10-05-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
Dimis
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB DCT

Sport Cat + Piggy back ECU

Hi guys I am looking into upgrading my M2 with a sport Cat and a piggy back ECU, does anyone know if replacing the original Cat with a free flowing sport Cat will have any adverse impact on the car considering it will also have a piggy back ECU designed to work with the OEM cat ?

To give a few more details I am looking into the Lightweight HJS 300 Sport Cat which I have heard good stuff about and also looking into the AC Schnitzer ECU performance upgrade (mostly because of the warranty, I know its very expensive and not a lot of gains max 50 hp however I do trust them as a company meaning no engine lights, issues that I have heard off etc) however when I called AC and asked them if there will be any issues using their performance upgrade together with a sport cat they didn't know and they did mention that if something goes wrong with the engine the fact that I would have a sport cat might invalidate their warranty.

I am no engineer however from the little I know I cant see how a sport cat would have an adverse impact on the engine if used in combination with an ECU piggy back. Can someone with more technical knowledge chip in ?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 07:13 AM   #2
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

As for how long I'm following BMW community(past 4 years), I didn't hear that any piggy back has caused an engine/turbo issue.

In fact there are some piggy back which works ok, other are not so well.

HJS 300 is bit expensive compared to regular wagner downpipe but it shouldn't trigger a CEL.

If warranty is your main concern, and you feel that you might be unlucky until it expires then go with AC Schnitzer piggy back.
You can trow in any downpipe, and in the case that your engine breaks down just switch it the original one.

But, if you want to get a cheap and reliable upgrade, just get a 200 or 300 cell downpipe and bigger intercooler.

You can easily shred of 2 seconds from 100-200 km/h time without a tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 07:39 AM   #3
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I've experienced no adverse impacts with my current sport cat/ECU piggyback, only advantageous and beneficial ones.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Hi guys I am looking into upgrading my M2 with a sport Cat and a piggy back ECU, does anyone know if replacing the original Cat with a free flowing sport Cat will have any adverse impact on the car considering it will also have a piggy back ECU designed to work with the OEM cat ?

To give a few more details I am looking into the Lightweight HJS 300 Sport Cat which I have heard good stuff about and also looking into the AC Schnitzer ECU performance upgrade (mostly because of the warranty, I know its very expensive and not a lot of gains max 50 hp however I do trust them as a company meaning no engine lights, issues that I have heard off etc) however when I called AC and asked them if there will be any issues using their performance upgrade together with a sport cat they didn't know and they did mention that if something goes wrong with the engine the fact that I would have a sport cat might invalidate their warranty.

I am no engineer however from the little I know I cant see how a sport cat would have an adverse impact on the engine if used in combination with an ECU piggy back. Can someone with more technical knowledge chip in ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
I've experienced no adverse impacts with my current sport cat/ECU piggyback, only advantageous and beneficial ones.
Going with our Sport Cat Downpipe (200-cell HJS cat core, no CEL) and a tuner is going to be the best modifications you can do to your M2 for a quick boost in performance and better driving experience. @auf duetsch has our Sport Cat and is loving it!
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #5
TXSurfer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Going with our Sport Cat Downpipe (200-cell HJS cat core, no CEL) and a tuner is going to be the best modifications you can do to your M2 for a quick boost in performance and better driving experience. @auf duetsch has our Sport Cat and is loving it!
What tuner do you all recommend. I have your sport cat downpipe.
      10-13-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSurfer View Post
What tuner do you all recommend. I have your sport cat downpipe.
The most popular seems to be the JB4's. Pretty user friendly and pick up good power.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Steinbauer
Appreciate 0