BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > does the store location matter in a ED?

10-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #1
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - AW EX MT6 ACP

does the store location matter in a ED?

I live in socal, can i get a car from any dealer in the us? cars are 50 state now right? how about the cars return from europe, can I point the delivery to any port?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #2
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
I live in socal, can i get a car from any dealer in the us? cars are 50 state now right? how about the cars return from europe, can I point the delivery to any port?
ED cars are US-spec cars - and yes I believe they are 50-state now.

You don't pick a port for re-delivery, you pick a dealership - that determines the port it comes into.

Default delivery dealership is the dealership that arranges ED - and that's what I've done twice. ED is a great experience - highly recommended.

My understanding is that you can request a car to be re-delivered at any US dealership - but to do so requires the desired re-delivery dealership to agree to do a "courtesy delivery". So - assuming you could get a SoCal dealership to agree to do a "courtesy" re-delivery for you (their motivation, IMO, would be to gain you as a service customer), then you could "buy" your ED car from anywhere in the US.

Not sure exactly how to arrange for the courtesy redelivery - but there are individuals on this forum who have done it. I would assume that the BMW NA folks who handle Euro delivery arrangements (customer interfacing office - I forget the name of the office at the moment - I'm sure you can reach them directly or through Genius) could help you with the arrangements.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #3
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
ED cars are US-spec cars - and yes I believe they are 50-state now.

You don't pick a port for re-delivery, you pick a dealership - that determines the port it comes into.

Default delivery dealership is the dealership that arranges ED - and that's what I've done twice. ED is a great experience - highly recommended.

My understanding is that you can request a car to be re-delivered at any US dealership - but to do so requires the desired re-delivery dealership to agree to do a "courtesy delivery". So - assuming you could get a SoCal dealership to agree to do a "courtesy" re-delivery for you (their motivation, IMO, would be to gain you as a service customer), then you could "buy" your ED car from anywhere in the US.

Not sure exactly how to arrange for the courtesy redelivery - but there are individuals on this forum who have done it. I would assume that the BMW NA folks who handle Euro delivery arrangements (customer interfacing office - I forget the name of the office at the moment - I'm sure you can reach them directly or through Genius) could help you with the arrangements.
thanks for this, do you happen to know which states hueneme services off the top of your head? honestly after interacting with the dealers for the past few weeks re the cs I might be losing interest but I agree with you that an ed is not to be missed. many thanks again
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
thanks for this, do you happen to know which states hueneme services off the top of your head? honestly after interacting with the dealers for the past few weeks re the cs I might be losing interest but I agree with you that an ed is not to be missed. many thanks again
No, I don't know for certain (although I bet there's a post on these forums somewhere that lays it all out - but I don't have a pointer to it). I'm fairly certain though that Port Hueneme services most of the western coast of the US. It seems that even cars headed to Washington state go through Port Hueneme ... I think I saw a post from somebody here in WA who's car was on Torino (arrived Port Hueneme on 9/21), and then got trucked north --- while, ironically, Torino continued on to the port in Tacoma. I don't think there's a VPC in Tacoma though - thus the need to discharge in Port Hueneme.

An exhaustive search of all BMW VPC locations would probably answer your question definitively.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
Space gray
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX 50

Garage List
2022 BMW iX50  [0.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
OP, I think you may be going about this the wrong way. You can order ED car from any dealer, but you would have to get a local (LA dealer) to agree to receive the car. This is the courtesy delivery jjclyde is talking about. I've seen posts where the receiving dealer charges $500. It's something you have to arrange before you sign the Purchase Order for ED. That's the form that shows where the car is shipped to.
So your car will be shipped directly to receiving dealer and routed to Port Hueneme (assuming you picked a dealer close to you).
Have you tried Beverly Hills BMW? I've seen posts here where people have gotten allocations from them without markup. There's a woman there who's the #1 salesperson in the country for many years running with (I think) 700 cars annually and I'm told nobody comes close. Not shilling for them, I don't know them, but the more cars and M cars you sell, the more allocations you get.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
M2LA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space gray View Post
OP, I think you may be going about this the wrong way. You can order ED car from any dealer, but you would have to get a local (LA dealer) to agree to receive the car. This is the courtesy delivery jjclyde is talking about. I've seen posts where the receiving dealer charges $500. It's something you have to arrange before you sign the Purchase Order for ED. That's the form that shows where the car is shipped to.
So your car will be shipped directly to receiving dealer and routed to Port Hueneme (assuming you picked a dealer close to you).
Have you tried Beverly Hills BMW? I've seen posts here where people have gotten allocations from them without markup. There's a woman there who's the #1 salesperson in the country for many years running with (I think) 700 cars annually and I'm told nobody comes close. Not shilling for them, I don't know them, but the more cars and M cars you sell, the more allocations you get.
collecting info...I know her + bmw bh is one of the worst stores in socal in a sea of shitty stores, the reviews bear this out. I am doing what I can to not do business in this town. fact is that I have lost interest in the cs for a number of reasons. take care

Last edited by M2LA; 10-02-2017 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

I paid nothing for courtesy delivery - bought car from TX dealer, having it re-delivered to local MD dealer - I figured the promise of service work would grease the wheels but in my case such a suggestion was not even needed.

As for the port, you of course don't get to pick that - apparently not all ports take ED cars - something to do with Customs so I'm told - for instance, my car is coming back via Jersey City and not Baltimore, the latter of which is only half an hour from me.
      10-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

I live just above Los Angeles. I bought my wife's M2 from BMW of El Paso (TX) and did an ED. You have to take re-delivery of it at the dealer you bought it from or have them ship it to you. We opted for another road trip and picked it up in El Paso. Very easy.... and damn fun!
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I live just above Los Angeles. I bought my wife's M2 from BMW of El Paso (TX) and did an ED. You have to take re-delivery of it at the dealer you bought it from or have them ship it to you. We opted for another road trip and picked it up in El Paso. Very easy.... and damn fun!
Not true - you absolutely do not have to take re-delivery at the same dealer you buy an ED car from or have them ship it to you; as mentioned above, you can opt for “courtesy delivery” of an ED car, provided the selected dealer accepts the request. The request is made by your client advisor when they complete your ED Purchase Order. An electronic request is sent to the dealer you want to have it delivered to, then that dealer will respond. It was no trouble for me at all, on either end.
Appreciate 1
Chuck W.356.00
      10-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #10
Chuck W.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '95 Porsche 993 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Not true - you absolutely do not have to take re-delivery at the same dealer you buy an ED car from or have them ship it to you; as mentioned above, you can opt for “courtesy delivery” of an ED car, provided the selected dealer accepts the request. The request is made by your client advisor when they complete your ED Purchase Order. An electronic request is sent to the dealer you want to have it delivered to, then that dealer will respond. It was no trouble for me at all, on either end.
Great info. I had never heard that. Thanks for posting it.
2001 Toyota Tundra SR5 Ext Cab - Hay Hauler
Appreciate 0