BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Rotation

09-24-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
scadagawd
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2018

Tire Rotation

For the M2 the parts manager advises not to rotate the tires, not even from one side to the other. Doesn?t sound right. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 05:55 AM   #2
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Well you obviously can't swap front-to-rear which is generally the point of 'rotating' tyres. If you are getting excess outer edge wear of the driver's side front and the tyres are not directional then maybe you could squeeze an extra 1-2k km out of a pair however not everyone subscribes to the wisdom of changing the direction of a tyre in a high performance car. Are you noticing an excess wear pattern? I'm finding the M2 is wearing quite evenly whereas I did flip the fronts on my M135i due to outside edge issues....
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

No point swapping tires from side to side unless one side is wearing faster (either you always turn on he same side or you have other issues ie alignment, rubbing, etc).

After 5,000km on my car, wear is even.
      09-25-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
scadagawd
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydad View Post
Well you obviously can't swap front-to-rear which is generally the point of 'rotating' tyres. If you are getting excess outer edge wear of the driver's side front and the tyres are not directional then maybe you could squeeze an extra 1-2k km out of a pair however not everyone subscribes to the wisdom of changing the direction of a tyre in a high performance car. Are you noticing an excess wear pattern? I'm finding the M2 is wearing quite evenly whereas I did flip the fronts on my M135i due to outside edge issues....
Just got the car so not sure how it wears just yet. Was curious about rotation as I?ve never owned a car with staggered wheel setup so wasn?t sure if the bmw parts guy was giving me the wrong info.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

I believe the factory position, from BMW, on tire rotation is that once the tires begin to wear/shift internally due to the particular loads of the vehicle, rotation is not recommended. For example, if you remove your LF wheel/tire after you've accumulated some miles/KMs, you'll notice it won't roll straight once off the car. It adopts some camber change and is not longer uniform relative to a new tire. Given this, and the staggered set-up on it's performance tires/sport suspension, rotation is normally not recommended.

However, I've rotated side/side for the race track and for snow tires, where I ran a square set-up. If cost and tire longevity was no object, I wouldn't bother, but sometimes I'm looking to eek a bit more from the tires. Regardless, I am adopting some risk.

I'm sure experience varies on this subject. I haven't read what the current manual says...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
scadagawd
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
I believe the factory position, from BMW, on tire rotation is that once the tires begin to wear/shift internally due to the particular loads of the vehicle, rotation is not recommended. For example, if you remove your LF wheel/tire after you've accumulated some miles/KMs, you'll notice it won't roll straight once off the car. It adopts some camber change and is not longer uniform relative to a new tire. Given this, and the staggered set-up on it's performance tires/sport suspension, rotation is normally not recommended.

However, I've rotated side/side for the race track and for snow tires, where I ran a square set-up. If cost and tire longevity was no object, I wouldn't bother, but sometimes I'm looking to eek a bit more from the tires. Regardless, I am adopting some risk.

I'm sure experience varies on this subject. I haven't read what the current manual says...
Thanks for the feedback. I think the manual also says not to rotate the tires if I read it correctly but offers no explanation as to why.
Appreciate 0