BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Study shows gluten free diet increases risk for diabetes

03-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bicycle - reducing carbon

Study shows gluten free diet increases risk for diabetes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...tudy-suggests/

Very surprising study.

I personally don't follow or believe in paleo dieting though many of my friends do. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

I think there needs to be more studies.. besides I think there are other reasons to avoid wheat products besides just GMO gluten & diabetes .. ie glyphosates
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #3
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
I think there needs to be more studies.. besides I think there are other reasons to avoid wheat products besides just GMO gluten & diabetes .. ie glyphosates
Haven't done much research on glyphosates but a quick google search shows its linked to roundup. I have watched a few netflix documentaries on Monsanto and pesticides but I was under the impression this wasn't exclusive to wheat.

Aren't these same pesticides found on non-organic vegetables?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirthBrooks View Post
Haven't done much research on glyphosates but a quick google search shows its linked to roundup. I have watched a few netflix documentaries on Monsanto and pesticides but I was under the impression this wasn't exclusive to wheat.

Aren't these same pesticides found on non-organic vegetables?
Most crops are roundup ready, including soy beans. I've been using roundup pro for many years and really don't like to but I can't find anything that works as well. They are finding it's not that safe of a product anymore so it does worry me about my long term health. Another bad one is Neo-nic products, they are finding that it may be causing the honey bee decline. What's really scary is how it stays in the soil make up for up to 10 years. Europe has already banned that product and some have banned roundup also. Good ole North America still loves the stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

yea but for veges many times they go thru powerwashing and besides if you buy the veges I'd assume youd wash it good first but they dont do it with wheat products so the junk is in all the processed foods like cheerios and chips.. its fairly alarming
and for the liberals: NO ITS NOT A CONSPIRACY ITS FACT

yes and I too had always suspected pesticides in the decline of our bee population makes sense
gotta love Monsanto.. $$$ over lives
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
yea but for veges many times they go thru powerwashing and besides if you buy the veges I'd assume youd wash it good first but they dont do it with wheat products so the junk is in all the processed foods like cheerios and chips.. its fairly alarming
and for the liberals: NO ITS NOT A CONSPIRACY ITS FACT

yes and I too had always suspected pesticides in the decline of our bee population makes sense
gotta love Monsanto.. $$$ over lives

I hope you realize you can't wash pesticides off. A lot of pesticides and herbicides are systemic, meaning they are inside the plant and can not be washed off. Crops high in water content are worse. Some of the products I use kill insects when they actually start eating the plant because of these properties. I try to buy organic whenever we can, gotta offset my exposure somehow lol. Also Bayer makes the bee decline products in question.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Wtf is gluten? A phase people bandwagon onto in LA?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...tudy-suggests/

Very surprising study.

I personally don't follow or believe in paleo dieting though many of my friends do. Thoughts?
From the report

Quote:
It is estimated that more than four million people are currently living with Type 2 diabetes in the UK at present,around 6 per cent of the population.
Quote:
A major new study by Harvard University suggests that ingesting only small amounts of the protein, or avoiding it altogether, increases the danger of diabetes by as much as 13 per cent.
So most have a small chance of having Type 2 diabetes and if you are gluten free your chances are still small just possibly a tiny amount higher. 13% higher than 6% isn't worth worrying about one way or the other.

I also think the Gluten Free fad is nonsense if you aren't the 1% that are genuinely gluten intolerant.
      03-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #9
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
From the report

So most have a small chance of having Type 2 diabetes and if you are gluten free your chances are still small just possibly a tiny amount higher. 13% higher than 6% isn't worth worrying about one way or the other.

I also think the Gluten Free fad is nonsense if you aren't the 1% that are genuinely gluten intolerant.
That's a good point, the increase is small.

However, it's safe to say that people who are eating gluten free diets are typically eating lower carbohydrate diets. I found it interesting that gluten played an important role in preventing diabetes.

Last edited by The Chaddening; 03-10-2017 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Please be sure and post that it's TYPE 2 diabetes so us type 1s don't come in hoping against hope for something to alleviate the constant poking and prodding and injecting. I am so allergic to needles
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
It's a protein found in wheat products. Some people have Celiac disease which causes them to actually be allergic to gluten. Many diets nowadays such as Paleo dieting preach that gluten free diets can prevent inflammation and promote overall better health.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wntrsnowg View Post
Something very dangerous to people with Celiac Disease. Gluten is also something idiots will avoid because they think there's some health benefit to not eating gluten.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #13
trvplvrdBOI
Many men...wish death.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: at 14mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
Something very dangerous to people with Celiac Disease. Gluten is also something idiots will avoid because they think there's some health benefit to not eating gluten.
See my post in the other thread. LOL. Some folks just don't adhere to this sticky (pun) protein.

If there is a fad to be had, then people just can't go against the grain.

Okay, I'm done.
Appreciate 2
fecurtis3260.00
Zippster460.00
      03-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #14
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvplvrdBOI View Post
See my post in the other thread. LOL. Some folks just don't adhere to this sticky (pun) protein.

If there is a fad to be had, then people just can't go against the grain.

Okay, I'm done.
Well done sir.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Theres alot of pin the tail on the donkey going on with research pointing here and there. Some people have pointed at gluten and provided their rationale. While there is some merit, I would tend to believe its less gluten than either the GMO variants of the plants or the pesticides used like glyphosates.. now there are more dangerous pesticides than glyphosates but roundup is not exactly good for our bodies and its been found in waterways across America .. I hope water treatment is able to rid of these but I am not knowledgeable enuf about that.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #16
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
I hope you realize you can't wash pesticides off. A lot of pesticides and herbicides are systemic, meaning they are inside the plant and can not be washed off. Crops high in water content are worse. Some of the products I use kill insects when they actually start eating the plant because of these properties. I try to buy organic whenever we can, gotta offset my exposure somehow lol. Also Bayer makes the bee decline products in question.
Well you are talking about glyphosate not being able to be washed off and absorbed.. I did not know that not exactly great news
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #17
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Nutritional studies are a joke, you get different results depending what agenda is being pushed and who's sponsoring it. Then media latch on to some tiny inconclusive detail and blow it out of proportion to turn into a click bait headline. Where's the link to the actual study? And they wrapped it up with "The study was observational, meaning participants reported their gluten consumption." which pretty much guarantees it's worthless.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #18
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
Nutritional studies are a joke, you get different results depending what agenda is being pushed and who's sponsoring it. Then media latch on to some tiny inconclusive detail and blow it out of proportion to turn into a click bait headline. Where's the link to the actual study? And they wrapped it up with "The study was observational, meaning participants reported their gluten consumption." which pretty much guarantees it's worthless.
Yeah, I mainly put it up for discussion since gluten is a big topic in nutrition today.

Do you eat gluten free?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #19
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Yeah, I mainly put it up for discussion since gluten is a big topic in nutrition today.

Do you eat gluten free?
I do, because of celiac, so I'm pretty clued up on it, as my health depends on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #20
The Chaddening
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
I do, because of celiac, so I'm pretty clued up on it, as my health depends on it.
My dad has a gluten allergy due to an auto-immune disease and for people that have an allergy it is no joke. Response is immediate and severe.

Do you believe that gluten free diets promote health benefits to people that do not have an allergy? If so, why?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #21
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
My dad has a gluten allergy due to an auto-immune disease and for people that have an allergy it is no joke. Response is immediate and severe.

Do you believe that gluten free diets promote health benefits to people that do not have an allergy? If so, why?
Biggest benefit I see from it for people who dont need to be gluten free, is that it forces them to actually look at what they are eating. This leads to increased awareness of what they are putting into their body and *maybe* will curtail poor nutrition habits.

That being said, there are plenty of people that still get fat and eat like shit while being "gluten free" so it isnt exactly just going gluten free that will promote a healthier well being. But that can be said for every diet and fad diet out there. There will be camps that can provide evidence to discredit, and camps with evidence that add credit.
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
      03-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #22
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:

Gluten free diet is a pretty meaningless term. If you start buying processed food marked as gluten free, it's often worse than regular one. They have to replace gluten with something, and it's usually more sugar and chemicals that will cause even stronger inflammatory response than gluten. There's a huge difference between natural food like Paleo and process food marketed as gluten free, so you can't evaluate a diet based on gluten content alone. It really depends what you replace that food with. Celiac sufferers might be an exception, but I wouldn't even bet on that. You can prevent some intestinal damage, but screw up other parts of your body.

There's increasing evidence that auto immune disorders are a very complex issue and people react in different ways. You may not have a strong allergic reaction, but eating pasta and sugar all day will probably give you cancer, diabetics or alzheimer somewhere down the line, or at least lower your quality of life. It's best to see how your body reacts to different food, or be on the safe side and avoid pro inflammatory food, which is a lot more than gluten.
Appreciate 1