BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > The M2 and the 'soda can crunch noise' issue: compilation of some experiences

06-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #265
whitmont
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 435xi '16 M2

Update to my above post with video. This started as the "soda can crunch" noise while coming to a stop and then slowly degenerated into this. This lasted for about 10 minutes on and off and the sound has since disappeared, but I can sort of get it to make a light screech when I turn a sharp and slow left. Can't get it into the dealership until Wednesday.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #266
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

My dealer ordered the shields, but told me that the whole rear axle needs to be removed to fit those. So he asked me if it's worth the hassle. I refrained (perfect factory set-up: if it ain't broken, don't fix it).

But, seriously, isn't this rather unscrewing/screwing a few bolts instead of the invasive operation of taking off the whole rear axle ?
      06-19-2017, 01:10 AM   #267
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
My dealer ordered the shields, but told me that the whole rear axle needs to be removed to fit those. So he asked me if it's worth the hassle. I refrained (perfect factory set-up: if it ain't broken, don't fix it).

But, seriously, isn't this rather unscrewing/screwing a few bolts instead of the invasive operation of taking off the whole rear axle ?
No, they do not need to be removed to install the semi-circular brake shield.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #268
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:

The rear axle does not need to be removed to fit the shields, they should however remove and replace the wheel bearings.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 10:34 AM   #269
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy.
Quote:

The rear axle does not need to be removed to fit the shields, they should however remove and replace the wheel bearings.
The wheel bearings? Why?
      08-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #270
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81

Unhappy Soda can noise on late 17

My F87 was delivered April this year, after 5000 km I started hearing like the soda can noise, particularly when cruising at very low speed, sounds like a have a piece of metal scratching the road... intermittently and comes from the left side of the car i'd say.

I looked at the suspect left rear wheel shield plate, and i have the updated sheilds which are quite open, so there is little chance i have small gravel in.

The sound coming from the left side make me think it's not the dif, also i can't reproduce this at will...

Anyone got this sound again with the "updated" shield plates ?
Appreciate 1
iRasF8713.50
      08-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #271
IS+1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (AW 6MT)

I have an April 2017 build and I've had the soda can noise once in 8000 km. It happened at 1-2 second intervals for less than a minute as I was leaving a parking lot, and was super loud, then stopped and never recurred. So my guess is it can still happen with the new plates. It's annoying when it happens, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #272
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

This drove me crazy, it's very annoying in the city. After some help of my wife telling me exactly which wheel the noise came from, i decided to get some flexible thin plastic sheet and insert it between the plate and the disc brake and fiddle around to find the rock or the thing stuck.
After few minutes i hit a "hard" spot but it was stuck kind of too hard for the plastic sheet to remove the thing stuck. I noticed that the plate was quite thin and flexible so i twisted it back an forth slightly and used the plastic sheet again... and bingo ! some gravel stuck with tar (remind me i've been on road freshly under construction not long ago...) on the plate came off !
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #273
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

I have the new shields fitted to my 2016, since having them installed i have heard the soda crunch noise twice in approx 4000 kms.
I still believe they are a huge improvement over the previous shields, i used to hear the noise almost weekly.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2017, 07:45 PM   #274
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I have the new shields fitted to my 2016, since having them installed i have heard the soda crunch noise twice in approx 4000 kms.
I still believe they are a huge improvement over the previous shields, i used to hear the noise almost weekly.
After having them installed I have heard it zero times since. Was weekly before.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #275
trj3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Ive had it. I do not worry about it. Its under warranty so if its a big deal they can fix it....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #276
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
After having them installed I have heard it zero times since. Was weekly before.
I am hearing this 'crinkle' aka soda can crunching noise when I make hard turns, was this what you experienced? If so which dealership did you go to and how were they re correcting the issue?
Thanks
Dan
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 03:14 AM   #277
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
I am hearing this 'crinkle' aka soda can crunching noise when I make hard turns, was this what you experienced? If so which dealership did you go to and how were they re correcting the issue?
Thanks
Dan
It wasn't specifically when I made hard turns, but it did happen sometimes when I made hard turns. Sometimes it happened when going up or down and incline. Seemed it happened most when hard turn going up an incline. It was quite loud and really sounded like crunching soda cans or part of the exhaust falling off and dragging under the car.

I had Peter Pan put in the heat shields and that fixed it for me. If you search for soda can crunch sound you should find a thread that has the part number.

Peter Pan resisted changing it at first because their tech couldn't reproduce the sound. I have two videos of it happening on my car but they said a tech had to hear it while in my car. I told them let's cut out the middle of this retarded dance with me complaining several times and them saying they can't reproduce several times it until they can. That will make it easier on both of us. If they don't I will drive by the front of the dealership filming until I get the sound to happen then I will post it to the BMW related forums saying Peter Pan refuses to fix this sound on a new M car. After that they said they would install the new brake shield as a one time courtesy.

Maybe now they will be more likely to install the part when asked?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:41 AM   #278
Saanen
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD, VW e Golf (DD)

Thanks...I'll see what the guys at Weatherford have to say about it....

See you out there
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #279
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
Thanks...I'll see what the guys at Weatherford have to say about it....

See you out there
Part number here
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=3
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 03:35 PM   #280
gramz
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I've been having the noise pretty regularly since i got my car last november. was told i originally had the "new" plates at end of last year, then they swapped them for the "new new" plates (with 4 holes instead of 2, i got to see them) earlier this year (around april).

About a month ago it came back and was worse than before, lasted a few days before i got it loose. Then this morning it was the worst its ever been. A pure grinding sound so loud it was heard from my house when i pulled out.

Dealer cleaned it out for me and said theres a new bulletin stating they should modify the plates to cut two more holes in them. They didnt have time to get it done today, so I took car home for the weekend.

This is the first im hearing of the dealership modifying the plates themselves, anyone have experience with it? I'll try to get a copy of the official bulletin
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #281
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
Do you guys drive on roads with a lot of gravel or roads that have a lot of debris?
      10-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #282
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

Right? I get paranoid every time I have to deal with gravel because these threads make it seem like it’s so easy to happen. Must be lucky so far
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 03:31 PM   #283
thaalrasha
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

The new heat sheild have a shape that doesn't trap debris in. However it's not impossible to get some sticky gravel / tar and little rocks that will remain inside. Should be easy enough to remove though.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #284
M2Jersey
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Unhappy Screeching sound from wheel (?)

Just picked up my 2018 LCI on Saturday, and already have a service appt for dealer to look at cause of a high-pitched screeching sound coming from one of the wheels. Its noticeable at very low speed (starting from stop - when car is quietest) and seems to vary with speed. It sounds like an upside down dinner plate briefly pushed on a granite countertop.

Based on research on these forums, I am guessing/hoping its just a pebble in heat shield/rotor, but curious if anyone else has noticed it on theirs and have any ideas so I can direct the dealer accordingly... thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #285
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Definitely sounds like it could be a stone stuck in the brake shield, give the shield a good wiggle yourself and you may be able to dislodge it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #286
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Jersey View Post
Just picked up my 2018 LCI on Saturday, and already have a service appt for dealer to look at cause of a high-pitched screeching sound coming from one of the wheels. Its noticeable at very low speed (starting from stop - when car is quietest) and seems to vary with speed. It sounds like an upside down dinner plate briefly pushed on a granite countertop.
Based on research on these forums, I am guessing/hoping its just a pebble in heat shield/rotor, but curious if anyone else has noticed it on theirs and have any ideas so I can direct the dealer accordingly... thanks in advance!
Very likely a pebble trapped between the brake shield.

As Prodigy. suggested: wiggle the brake shield right behind the brake disc (rotor) to make the pebble move position.

See 00:53-02:41