M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Illuminated 6MT shift knob

09-24-2017, 11:27 PM   #1
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Illuminated 6MT shift knob

Hey everyone,
Im curious if anyone has done this modification to their M2. I recently ordered this knob https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...d/25112284205/ and plan on installing it by tapping into the wires running to the cig lighter.

If anyone has already done this I would appreciate any tips you can offer. Thanks!

Last edited by M2OG; 09-25-2017 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Ambrotos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 EVO X MR, 2018 BMW M2

Says it doesn't fit the M2 on that website. I take it you already saw that though?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

From what I can tell, it "doesn't fit" because the M2 doesn't come with wiring for the shift knob. I've managed to find other knobs that will fit both the M2 and the M5.

ECS has a killer return policy so when it arrives I'll take the stock knob off and compare them before I attempt the install. Its a press fit to the shift lever, getting the stock knob off should actually be the hardest part(I hope).
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey everyone, I just want to follow up. I received the M5 illuminated knob and it is in-fact the exact same knob that already comes in our cars(plus backlighting). Perfect.

For anyone who wants to do this. You need to melt two small "clips" to detach the leather boot from the knob and visa versa for the stock knob/boot. Drill two small holes in the retaining ring for the wires to pass through, then use a little hot glue to hold the stock boot to the new knob and also put a zip tie on the shift lever as close to the base of the knob as possible for added insurance from the boot slipping down. This will make sense once you see it.

I took the easy route and tapped power from the cigarette lighter thus sacrificing dimming capability, the backlighting also stays on for a few minutes after you lock the car and walk away. Otherwise it's exactly as expected. A stock, illuminated shift knob.
Appreciate 3
      10-10-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
longbeachbluem2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '76 2002 / '17 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [0.00]
2004 Audi Allroad  [0.00]
Interesting Natek. Any chance you have pics of it apart / finished?
      10-10-2017, 07:09 PM   #6
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachbluem2 View Post
Sorry, I didn't bother to take photos. When reassembled it looks exactly like it did before.

The most important bit of information is that of the 3 clips holding the boot to the knob, one is silver, the two melted ones are black(on either side of the wires). They don't even look like clips because they're melted. Once you break that by dremel or hot knife, whatever your prefer. The knob will release(don't pull too hard, you risk damaging the one remaining silver clip).

Despite the knob now missing 2 of 3 clips, the remaining clip and hotglue/ziptie has kept it secure so far. In hindsight I could have used some sort of epoxy and will if this solution doesn't hold up.

I want to add, that on my next free day I think I'm going to try and tap power from somewhere else in the car. I want it to dim. The OCD in me is winning out against the part of me that doesn't want to disassemble the car further.
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachbluem2 View Post
Sorry, I didn't bother to take photos. When reassembled it looks exactly like it did before.

The most important bit of information is that of the 3 clips holding the boot to the knob, one is silver, the two melted ones are black(on either side of the wires). They don't even look like clips because they're melted. Once you break that by dremel or hot knife, whatever your prefer. The knob will release(don't pull too hard, you risk damaging the one remaining silver clip).

Despite the knob now missing 2 of 3 clips, the remaining clip and hotglue/ziptie has kept it secure so far. In hindsight I could have used some sort of epoxy and will if this solution doesn't hold up.

I want to add, that on my next free day I think I'm going to try and tap power from somewhere else in the car. I want it to dim. The OCD in me is winning out against the part of me that doesn't want to disassemble the car further.
Curious if you changed the wiring to somewhere else. I'm about to do this too.
      04-15-2018, 12:28 AM   #8
voyagergab
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT, G01/F97 X3M

I'd be curious to know if there was a shift knob that is not as tall as the factory one.
I really like the standard leather knob but it feels a little to tall.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 03:58 AM   #9
Peasley
General Moron
England
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI MT & E30 Drift Slag

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagergab View Post
I really like the standard knob but it feels a little to tall.
That's what she said
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monochrom3 View Post
Curious if you changed the wiring to somewhere else. I'm about to do this too.
I didn't. Ended up getting a cheap voltage regulator off amazon and wired it in line to dim the knob to match the rest of the console. I just didn't feel like taking more shit apart and fishing around for a wire.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1