BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Buying advice M2 or M2 Comp?

04-01-2021, 02:45 PM   #133
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Nice timing, more details on the new M2 are here. Looks like we won't see one anytime soon...

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/04/01/2...e-know-so-far/
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      04-01-2021, 03:55 PM   #134
spooooook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 - Hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Annnnd it’s time to close this thread.
Nahhh, the bickering is quite entertaining
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 04:53 AM   #135
spooooook
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 - Hopefully!

Come on guys, let's keep this thread going. I've missed it over the last few days!

So, getting back to the original question, my 10c/2p worth: given the quite significant price differential between the two, the choice for most will simply be down to $$$$/££££. I can't imagine anyone for whom money is not an issue opting for the OG M2 over the M2C - the C is objectively a huge improvement on the OG and therefore the better car.

For my part, money is an issue and I can't justify the premium for the C over the OG. So when the time comes I'll take a late OG M2 LCI thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 08:08 AM   #136
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I guess I don't agree since I had the money for a new C, but opted for a lightly used LCI OG.

I didn't need the improvements offered by the C, and for my use case they were barely perceptible. C may be the better car, sans the exhaust, but the OG provides everything I need/want in a car right now. There was no reason to spend more money on improvements I wouldn't regularly take advantage of...seemed like a waste to me.

That said, when buying the OG I actually thought I may someday buy a lightly used C and experience ownership of both. But turns out I'm in love with my OG and don't see letting her go until we are a few years into the G87.

We all have our reasons for making a purchase, and neither is necessarily better than the other. Just do what makes you happy
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
      04-07-2021, 08:32 AM   #137
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooooook View Post
Come on guys, let's keep this thread going. I've missed it over the last few days!

So, getting back to the original question, my 10c/2p worth: given the quite significant price differential between the two, the choice for most will simply be down to $$$$/££££. I can't imagine anyone for whom money is not an issue opting for the OG M2 over the M2C - the C is objectively a huge improvement on the OG and therefore the better car.

For my part, money is an issue and I can't justify the premium for the C over the OG. So when the time comes I'll take a late OG M2 LCI thanks.
I’m not sure affordability really is the main issue for everyone- it’s value for what’s important to you. The simple fact is that the OG gives me more of what I want than the Comp, and it just happens to cost less.

I can afford both cars comfortably. But I don’t need enormous brakes. I don’t need different seats (I really struggle to figure out what’s wrong with the original ones for people.) I don’t need track cooling. I don’t need 500+ tuned hp on the street (especially on 265 tires.) And I definitely don’t need a “real” M engine just for bragging rights.

What is valuable to me is my exhaust note and a lighter, more visceral/dramatic car with less linearity in the powerband. The OG gives me more of that than the Comp. I also daily drive the car 30-40k miles a year, and the N55 offers advantages in terms of maintenance costs, repair costs, and fuel costs.

At the end of the day I’m paying more for the Comp for the things I don’t need, and less for the OG for the things I do. It really makes it a pretty simple personal choice. I also understand that puts me in the minority- my point is just that there really are circumstances where the Comp is not the objectively better car.
Appreciate 5
      04-07-2021, 09:37 AM   #138
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

^^^ Very well stated.

As the poster above mentioned, I do not need the stuff M2C has over the OG M2, so for me personally it does not make sense. I'm not planning to tune my M2 much if at all, its not my primary track vehicle either. What I do use it for is driving to the store and driving to customer sites across the country. Having worse fuel economy, slightly more weight, and more horsepower potential would not help me to do that.

Not everyone has the same use case or even similar use cases so which makes more sense is down to a persons situation and desire for the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #139
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
^^^ Very well stated.

As the poster above mentioned, I do not need the stuff M2C has over the OG M2, so for me personally it does not make sense. I'm not planning to tune my M2 much if at all, its not my primary track vehicle either. What I do use it for is driving to the store and driving to customer sites across the country. Having worse fuel economy, slightly more weight, and more horsepower potential would not help me to do that.

Not everyone has the same use case or even similar use cases so which makes more sense is down to a persons situation and desire for the car.
I too am using the car to drive around to clients. When you put so many miles on, you really have to consider what depreciation is doing to the bottom line too. If you lose 20% to depreciation on a $65k car in year one, it’s $13k. If you lose 20% on a $55k car, that number is $11k. When you change cars every 3 years just to get something with lower mileage, absorbing that additional hit time after time really adds up fast. So does paying sales tax on the higher number.

Again, I can afford it. But the whole reason I can afford it is because I’m smart with my money in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 09:45 PM   #140
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

You can take the OG out the hood, but you can't take the hood out the OG.

When you roll by they ask eachother ooh and aahh , who's in that car!??
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:11 AM   #141
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If I had to guess I'd say that the OG guys feel the same about the Competition as the Competition guys feel about the CS.

The biggest difference is the price, yet the OG is closer to the C than the C is to the CS.

For Competition owners it really does not make sense to spend 10s of thousands to upgrade to the CS unless you really want that exclusivity. They essentially have very similar hardware, except for a few carbon pieces, better tuned (same) engine and suspension.

The difference between the OG and C is actually bigger when it comes to hardware, yet they are closer to each other in price.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #142
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
If I had to guess I'd say that the OG guys feel the same about the Competition as the Competition guys feel about the CS.

The biggest difference is the price, yet the OG is closer to the C than the C is to the CS.

For Competition owners it really does not make sense to spend 10s of thousands to upgrade to the CS unless you really want that exclusivity. They essentially have very similar hardware, except for a few carbon pieces, better tuned (same) engine and suspension.

The difference between the OG and C is actually bigger when it comes to hardware, yet they are closer to each other in price.
I think that comes with the assumption that OG guys think the Comp is objectively “better.” I disagree with that assumption, personally. The fact that the OG and Comp are so different- as you mentioned- is what makes people desire the OG more in some circumstances. There is not really any way you can argue the Comp is better than the CS- the CS is faster, lighter, has a better suspension, rarer. The envy there makes total sense and nobody would choose a Comp over a CS for the same price. But there are several ways you could argue the OG is better than the Comp, depending on your priorities- and I do think there are people that prefer it regardless of the cost.

-The exhaust note of the OG is almost universally regarded as better than the Comp. This is by far the biggest factor for me.
-Many prefer the look of the OG (split grill, no “udder” muffler, etc.)
-The OG is lighter.
-The OG has more “dramatic” power delivery.
-The OG is relatively less expensive to drive and maintain (repair costs, insurance costs, fuel costs, etc.)

None of that is to say the OG is better. The Comp clearly has a lot of its own advantages- but it does not have the above characteristics, so if you’re the type that considers any of those factors deal-breakers, the OG can be the better car regardless of price.

Last edited by Dasnub; 04-08-2021 at 09:43 AM..
Appreciate 5
      04-08-2021, 10:53 AM   #143
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I think that comes with the assumption that OG guys think the Comp is objectively “better.” I disagree with that assumption, personally. The fact that the OG and Comp are so different- as you mentioned- is what makes people desire the OG more in some circumstances. There is not really any way you can argue the Comp is better than the CS- the CS is faster, lighter, has a better suspension, rarer. The envy there makes total sense and nobody would choose a Comp over a CS for the same price. But there are several ways you could argue the OG is better than the Comp, depending on your priorities- and I do think there are people that prefer it regardless of the cost.

-The exhaust note of the OG is almost universally regarded as better than the Comp. This is by far the biggest factor for me.
-Many prefer the look of the OG (split grill, no “udder” muffler, etc.)
-The OG is lighter.
-The OG has more “dramatic” power delivery.
-The OG is relatively less expensive to drive and maintain (repair costs, insurance costs, fuel costs, etc.)

None of that is to say the OG is better. The Comp clearly has a lot of its own advantages- but it does not have the above characteristics, so if you’re the type that considers any of those factors deal-breakers, the OG can be the better car regardless of price.
You are a funny man. I'd like to see one person who would pick an OG over a Comp at the same price. Again, Comp is an evolution of the OG, just like the CS is an evolution of the comp. I could have had a mint OG iwth less than 10k miles for $12k less, and yet purchased a Comp last week.

When searching for a car on autotrader, I had to stumble through a bunch of OGs just to look for the more expensive Comps, and I'm sure most comp owners feel the same way.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #144
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You are a funny man. I'd like to see one person who would pick an OG over a Comp at the same price. Again, Comp is an evolution of the OG, just like the CS is an evolution of the comp. I could have had an OG for 12k less, and yet purchased a Comp last week.
The key word in all of that is “I.”

*I* wouldn’t buy an M2 Comp or CS on exhaust note alone. The thought of having a sportscar with a bad engine noise doesn’t work for me. If we’re being honest, in the real world, these aren’t the only two cars to choose from- so the only real question is would I buy a used M2 Comp for $55k with so many other good choices on the market? Probably not. I’d much prefer a used 911, Cayman S, Lotus Evora, C7 Z06, RS3, etc.

Again, just me. Doesn’t mean you made a bad decision for you.

Last edited by Dasnub; 04-08-2021 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #145
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Is the comp really a plainer more linear power band than the OG? interesting
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #146
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The key word in all of that is “I.”

*I* wouldn’t buy an M2 Comp or CS on exhaust note alone. The thought of having a sportscar with a bad engine noise doesn’t work for me. If we’re being honest, in the real world, these aren’t the only two cars to choose from- so the only real question is would I buy a used M2 Comp for $55k with so many other good choices on the market? Probably not. I’d much prefer a used 911, Cayman S, Lotus Evora, C7 Z06, RS3, etc.

Again, just me. Doesn’t mean you made a bad decision for you.
I have an M50i. That exhaust alone blows any of the M2s out of the water - it's not even close. That alone doesn't mean that it's a better car.

The M2C is better in every other way - and I have the M-Performance exhaust which sounds 5x better than a stock OG, so that point is moot to me anyway.

The fact that you are suggesting that people would pick the M2 over M2C at the same price points shows me that you are a troll. There is a $12k to $15k price difference for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 02:53 PM   #147
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

You go ask any car enthusiast who likes to do their own builds, they will tell you there's basically 2 things they wanna do

make the car faster/handle better

and make it sound louder/better

The OG checks all those boxes,
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #148
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Try posting this question in an unbiased forum and you will get results that resemble something like this:

-90% will prefer the M2C even though it costs at least $10k more at the moment on average.
-10% will pick the OG due to the lower cost.
-100% will prefer the M2C if they were the same price.

*mic drop*
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #149
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You are a funny man. I'd like to see one person who would pick an OG over a Comp at the same price. Again, Comp is an evolution of the OG, just like the CS is an evolution of the comp. I could have had a mint OG iwth less than 10k miles for $12k less, and yet purchased a Comp last week.

When searching for a car on autotrader, I had to stumble through a bunch of OGs just to look for the more expensive Comps, and I'm sure most comp owners feel the same way.
But something your overlooking was back when the s55 was strictly on m3/4 alot of ppl still said that the better sound of the n55 made it overall more enjoyable and visceral experience , not everyone of course but a significant number

You reasons supporting your position are all based on economics and dollar values, if you strip away these things (which have nothing to do with the driving experience) from the conversation and just look at the car itself youll see, that in their attempt to squeeze more blood from the buyer stone, BMW actually gave a refreshing product that has its worth in its own right,

Everything can be refined with time, this is just natural progression, but there certain balance to things as well, i wonder why you see impalas from the 60s being bought an restored by car enthusiasts, its not just about monetary value, the car itself is unique and delivers more than the sum of its parts
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 03:39 PM   #150
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

I don't own either but I am thinking about buying one. As someone who doesn't have a vested interest either way my perception is that the OG is cheaper and has a better exhaust sound but it has more torque lag and a harsher ride. If I buy an M2 I will buy an M2C.
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #151
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Try posting this question in an unbiased forum and you will get results that resemble something like this:

-90% will prefer the M2C even though it costs at least $10k more at the moment on average.
-10% will pick the OG due to the lower cost.
-100% will prefer the M2C if they were the same price.

*mic drop*
It’s funny to me that you see this as some sort of argument that is “winnable.” I keep telling you my own, indisputable opinion and you seem to think your own opinion is more valid or that I’m somehow lying to justify the car I own. I’m not. I simply don’t think the M2C offers me enough of what I do want, and a whole lot of things that don’t actually matter to me.

Now you’re making up your own statistics to win a completely subjective discussion, which is funny in its own right. For the sake of anyone else having to wade through this silliness, I’m just going to leave it at that.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #152
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooooook View Post

I wouldn't say huge improvement stock to stock. I've driven a few different M2C vehicles at this point and own an M2. If I had neither I'd lean towards the M2C if I could afford it. Since I do own an 2017 M2 though the difference between the two isn't huge..... but the cost difference is pretty high.

You're getting an engine with a bit more power that just stays flat for the power curve for the last 2k rpm, lots of tuning head room if it can be tuned, engine stays cool with the better intercooler, heavier wheels, cooler mirrors, larger brakes, better looking seats, worse looking muffler, likely worse exhaust sounds, tighter front end from the bracing, programmable M buttons, and more engine complexity.

Driving them back to back they don't feel dramatically different. There's more room to rev the s55 but it doesn't reward you for it in stock tune in my opinion. It sounds angrier from the driver seat, but less exotic. Feels slightly more on rails. The seats honestly look kind of junky in both, but a cooler shape in the m2c, but no thigh extender. I notice the turbo spool sounds more in the m2c, but that doesn't do anything for me. Programmable M button is nice, but sport+ in the 2017 has the same settings I would use on the m2c except the steering settings. The 2017 I have feels more eager to speed up from slow speeds probably the torque coming sooner. M2C a bit more linear until 5500 rpm. M2C engine sounds whinier too, but louder. Transmission in my 2017 DCT kicks harder on upshift for better or worse, which is more exciting, but likely useless.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #153
M2_Purist
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

I could trade my 2018 LCI in for a Comp, used M4 Comp, 21 Supra but especially just for street driving and the overall experience, I'm just not compelled to do so. OG M2 LCI just feels "right". Sound, dynamics/weight and feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 11:27 AM   #154
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
I don't own either but I am thinking about buying one. As someone who doesn't have a vested interest either way my perception is that the OG is cheaper and has a better exhaust sound but it has more torque lag and a harsher ride. If I buy an M2 I will buy an M2C.
Torque lag? Please describe.
Appreciate 0