BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Selling M2 :( Looking for help to replace the best car I've ever owned!

02-07-2022, 05:41 AM   #1
danzibar
Rep
Drives: Porsche BS 981

Selling M2 :( Looking for help to replace the best car I've ever owned!

Hey folks,

Had some amazing advice here so an indirect thank you to all!

Baby is on its way, and I really don't want to have to deal with the faff of squeezing car seats in the back / damaging things. Also trying to fit a dog in there as well is asking for trouble!

So I need some help with what to look at next.

Currently the M2 is used for track days + weekends. Mods are:
- Camber plates
- Springs
- Rear toe links

Those all made it suitable for track use with acceptable road manners, otherwise the fronts would be toast within a day on the track.

So I'm looking for a 5 door "do it all" (mythical I know) car. Options so far include:
- Modding an m140i to death
- Megane RS 300 Trophy
- GTI TCR, or maybe clubsport

Civic is out of the equation, I know they are great but the dog won't like that boot (other half doesn't necessarily want to drive a transformer in disguise either). Focus RS is a no too, owned one and it was a pile of crap and a magnet for thieves.

If anyone has some suggestions to make my parting with the comp less traumatic I would be forever in your debt.

Cheers
Dan
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 05:59 AM   #2
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

First off congratulations!

Kind of difficult for me to fully comment given we don't have all those options in the US but my gut says go GTI (Clubsport or TCR). I have a 2 yr old and small dogs and while the M2 is doable, I understand why someone may not want to do that. I also have an IS38 GTI that is heavily modded and absolutely love it, it does everything and a blast to drive. Compared the M2 you can feel the weight advantage and practicality wise it fits everything you need (massive strollers and whatnot) without compromising comfort. Aftermarket is also better and parts are also less expensive if you're going to be modifying it.
Appreciate 2
SebsM2652.00
      02-07-2022, 08:05 AM   #3
GearUp
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

This doesn't answer your question...but consider me in favor of keeping the M2! If you truly like it that much, I think it's worth the effort. I keep two car seats in the M2 - it covers kid school drop off, infant doctor visits, and a fun daily that still works on track. Sure, rear-facing is slightly more difficult, but not so bad with a base installed on the LATCH system. Things are even easier once you move beyond rear-facing...

"Screw the M3. Throw the kids or the boss in the trunk. This car isn't as fast or as hairy as an M3, but it's cheekier, it makes you work harder, and it's far more fun."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...2-first-drive/
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
danzibar
Rep
Drives: Porsche BS 981

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
First off congratulations!

Kind of difficult for me to fully comment given we don't have all those options in the US but my gut says go GTI (Clubsport or TCR). I have a 2 yr old and small dogs and while the M2 is doable, I understand why someone may not want to do that. I also have an IS38 GTI that is heavily modded and absolutely love it, it does everything and a blast to drive. Compared the M2 you can feel the weight advantage and practicality wise it fits everything you need (massive strollers and whatnot) without compromising comfort. Aftermarket is also better and parts are also less expensive if you're going to be modifying it.
Thank you! Good to know with the Golf. Found a dealer nearby so I'll try secure a test drive before I throw money at someone for a deposit or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearUp View Post
This doesn't answer your question...but consider me in favor of keeping the M2! If you truly like it that much, I think it's worth the effort. I keep two car seats in the M2 - it covers kid school drop off, infant doctor visits, and a fun daily that still works on track. Sure, rear-facing is slightly more difficult, but not so bad with a base installed on the LATCH system. Things are even easier once you move beyond rear-facing...

"Screw the M3. Throw the kids or the boss in the trunk. This car isn't as fast or as hairy as an M3, but it's cheekier, it makes you work harder, and it's far more fun."

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...2-first-drive/
You're the first I've heard of to make this work actually. I just have to get over the prospect of showering a perfect example with projectile fluids. That's good to take into consideration thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Congrats!

If you're in the Birmingham I'm thinking you are - any luck tracking down an E61 M5?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 08:12 AM   #6
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzibar View Post
Thank you! Good to know with the Golf. Found a dealer nearby so I'll try secure a test drive before I throw money at someone for a deposit or something.
Great, just keep note on the models as there is a huge distinction among the GTIs outside the obvious like the IS20 vs IS38. Here is a link to a spreadsheet (items highlighted in yellow are specific to Clubsport) to show how different they are (https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.../#post-6809050). I really think this is an excellent 5 door option and it is no surprise that many people on here also own MK7 GTIs or came from MK7 GTIs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzibar View Post
You're the first I've heard of to make this work actually. I just have to get over the prospect of showering a perfect example with projectile fluids. That's good to take into consideration thank you!
Despite the GTI being a more practical car, the M2 is more doable than you think. Rear facing non detachable base is the least fun part but I still managed with my daughter. The only challenge can be the position of passenger seat depending on how often and how tall your passenger is. There are a lot of threads on here about infant/toddler seats in M2s (and F22s) with pictures so you an see.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 07:50 AM   #7
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

I wouldn't go with a GTI, would not change a RWD to FWD to be honest. Maybe an F80 M3 now is a good option. Not too expensive and can still fit the kids in the backseat. If you track I'd still go with an RWD based platform.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2022, 09:06 AM   #8
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahano View Post
I wouldn't go with a GTI, would not change a RWD to FWD to be honest. Maybe an F80 M3 now is a good option. Not too expensive and can still fit the kids in the backseat. If you track I'd still go with an RWD based platform.
I'd encourage you to drive one. I'm not really a FWD 'fan' myself, but the MK7 is different. I've owned mostly RWD and some AWD with the GTI being the only FWD I've bought and probably will be the only one I buy. I prefer the feel of RWD but as a tradeoff you shed over 400lbs from an M2 going to a GTI and nearly 600lbs compared to an M2 C, and you feel all of it. It is just fun, and Clubsport variants are pretty fast around tracks too (ring time of S is faster than an M2 I believe) with more practicality and cheaper consumables (real world factors).

Not saying the GTI is 'better', just that from what the OP described, it really does match well considering they listed it as a car they'd be interested in.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #9
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I had a mk8 Golf R. The M2 is easier to get 2 kids into the back than the Golf--mind you that is forward facing car seats. If you don't mind having the front seat forward, and if you have a rear facing bucket style seat that clips into a base, you can easily run the M2. I would either upgrade to something larger (like a 3er, etc) or stick with the M2. I promise the options you listed really aren't much better.

Most people (including me once) think 4dr = better for kids. But that isn't really true if you have a small rear door opening with shallow rear seat depth.

Wait till the baby arrives, try to live with it, and go from there would be my advice. Use a rear facing seat with a clip in, then move up to a Clek which are very narrow so they sit quite deep in the M2's rear seat. Then once your kid is forward facing, the M2 is basically perfect for getting them in and out. No small car has a wider opening with the seat tilted forward for access, making belts very easy.